Captain EO Soft Open To Public Today

the-reason14

um, i'm almost positive MJ never took pictures of a naked boy....

If you don't like Captain E.O or MJ...boycott it and don't watch it! bashing him and posting false statements about him on here is not going to do anything. Let's talk about something else. I'll say it again. The show is back, if you don't like it, don't go.

Well said, almost my exact same words on one of these EO threads.

Everyone is different and I can respect that, but these kind of debates have been going in circles ever since someone brought up the notion of EO's return. A lot of people sound so passionate about MJ and EO in such a negative way, it's almost as if they can't enjoy their trips because it's there. But it really isn't that serious. WDW is big enough to hold at least one attraction for everybody, and if EO isn't to the persons liking, they can simply move on.

There are so many other things to complain about, and I'm sure most of the people here already know that. :animwink:

Timekeeper

The fact of the matter is:

You can please all of the people some of the time, and some of the people all of the time, but you can't please all of the people all the time. :shrug:

All of Disney's decisions (foolish as some may seem) are calculated. At the end of the day, the re-installation of the EO show appeals to more people than it "offends." Majority rules. Some people are blessed with the gift of understanding that not every person's claim against another is true; that not everything the news media reports is accurate. Ironically, many of those who would argue that accusations against MJ "must be true" would also turn around and argue that Disney is often the victim of frivolous lawsuits in this litigious society. So, Disney is an obvious magnet for frivolous claims, while others are not? Well, this is essentially a Disney fan board. :cry:

Dissenters can skip the pavilion. Or better yet, write letters to Disney, or make signs in protest to bring to the park. But we all know that won't happen ...because it is easy to point the finger from behind the avatar of a message board. Actions speak louder than words. :brick:

Put your money where your mouse is. :ROFLOL:

RobGraves

once again... lets remember Kenneth Anger accuses Walt of fondling him...

Not every accusation is true. people get accused of crimes all the time, especially if they have money.

disneyrcks

all politics and accusations aside......I am 28 and have no idea what Captain EO is.....I like MJ songs and was a child of the 80's but I probably will not go on the ride/attraction. I am down to try new things but if there is a long line and I am not particularly a big fan why do it.....I am sure there are many people of my age/generation that feel differently and they are entitled to their opinion but I feel replacing HISTA with EO was a bad decision. They should have made something fresh that adults and kids would recognize and enjoy....I just do not think eo goes with the age group that disney is shooting for...unless I am the only 28 year old that does not know about EO :lookaroun not that disney is going for 28 yr olds but their younger demographic who may not even know who MJ is...

ttalovebug

For what it's worth, saw it Sunday, had a blast, and so did the audience. It was like taking a little time-traveling trip. Quite enjoyed it more than HISTA. But EPCOT was strangely deserted-feeling on the 4th. Then I hopped over to MK, and saw why. The whole world was over there.:)

Hrudey3032

You can please all of the people some of the time, and some of the people all of the time, but you can't please all of the people all the time. :shrug:

All of Disney's decisions (foolish as some may seem) are calculated. At the end of the day, the re-installation of the EO show appeals to more people than it "offends." Majority rules. Some people are blessed with the gift of understanding that not every person's claim against another is true; that not everything the news media reports is accurate. [B]Ironically, many of those who would argue that accusations against MJ "must be true" would also turn around and argue that Disney is often the victim of frivolous lawsuits in this litigious society. So, Disney is an obvious magnet for frivolous claims, while others are not? Well, this is essentially a Disney fan board. :cry:[/B]Dissenters can skip the pavilion. Or better yet, write letters to Disney, or make signs in protest to bring to the park. But we all know that won't happen ...because it is easy to point the finger from behind the avatar of a message board. Actions speak louder than words. :brick:

The bolded area here is so true.I wasn't there for what MJ or Jeffrey Jones are accused of doing so who am I to judge :shrug: What I do know is Jeffrey Jones pled guilty and MJ did not and was aquitted so maybe that also plays into the decision as Jeffrey Jones was and is a convicted ______ offender and as such Disney did not wish to associate with him on AE.

voodoo321

All of Disney's decisions (foolish as some may seem) are calculated. At the end of the day, the re-installation of the EO show appeals to more people than it "offends." Majority rules. Some people are blessed with the gift of understanding that not every person's claim against another is true; that not everything the news media reports is accurate. Ironically, many of those who would argue that accusations against MJ "must be true" would also turn around and argue that Disney is often the victim of frivolous lawsuits in this litigious society. So, Disney is an obvious magnet for frivolous claims, while others are not? Well, this is essentially a Disney fan board. :cry:

Dissenters can skip the pavilion. Or better yet, write letters to Disney, or make signs in protest to bring to the park. But we all know that won't happen ...because it is easy to point the finger from behind the avatar of a message board. Actions speak louder than words. :brick:

Well said. I have written the letter. My problem on this thread was with people using defenses like "Stephen Tyler is a drug addict."

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer

I have written to disney through e-mail and regular mail, and intend on filing a complaint at guest services when I arrive in Nov. It is an absolute disgrace to have this "man" being honored.

PirateFrank

...It's ironic how whenever there is a Aerosmith Rock'n'Roller Coaster post and discussion, board members don't get into debate over Steven Tyler's (or any other band member's) admitted use of illegal narcotics and other questionable personal lifestyle choices. Should WDI really have decided to open an attraction based on a real-life rock band (and all the baggage that a real life rock band brings along) instead of, say, a fictitious band? Some might argue no, some might argue yes ...but why argue at all when that's not the topic of discussion? :brick:

There are plenty of Disney attractions that are at least based in part on real life celebrities (and the characters that they portray). And many celebrities succumb to some degree of rumor, controversy, and other media attention. We, as consumers, demand it. But where do we (or Disney) draw the line? Should Robin Williams have been prohibited from lending his voice to Genie or Timekeeper because of his past cocaine addictions? Do we remove certain presidents from the Hall of Presidents because of the mistakes that they made or the laws that they broke?

Or maybe we should take things a step further. The House of Blues and AMC Theater are at Downtown Disney, and because they're associated with the Disney World Resort in that sense, maybe we should look into the character of all the musicians that come to perform, do a few background checks, and screen all of the actors in all of the movies that play at the theater. Heaven forbid we blemish the Disney properties with the presence of a celebrity of questionable nature.

Johnny Depp has been arrested a few times. So I guess we better close down Pirates too. :brick:

BIG difference. Last I checked, Johnny Depp didn't spend his entire Curse of the Black Pearl salary to ward off a case of *CHILD MOLESTATION*....nor did he get dragged into court a second time FOR THE SAME THING. If I recall, he didn't go on national TV complaining about why he can't sleep with other children, nor did he hang his own child out of a balcony window several stories up.

I'm not expecting my Disney actors/personas to be angels. But the line of child molestation/abuse should never be crossed under any circumstance. Had Johnny Depp or Steven Tyler been accused of feeding drugs to children, payed more money than any of us will see in a lifetime to make it 'go away' and then been hauled into court a few years later on the same charge from someone else..... then I would have been banging on the drum just as hard.

They didn't. They get a pass....

Disney should have disavowed any connection with Whacko the VERY DAY he spent 20 million plus to settle a molestation case out of court. The fact that they watched that, the court case, the TV confession/complaint, the dangling out the window in berlin episode....and did nothing...

and then cashed in on this freak's death when they saw enough depressed souls who were willing to shell out money for a cheap shirt with whacko's picture on it...

....is flat out deplorable.

parkgoer

Original Poster
I have written to disney through e-mail and regular mail, and intend on filing a complaint at guest services when I arrive in Nov. It is an absolute disgrace to have this "man" being honored.

good for you. Did you really feel the need to tell everyone? this is a thread about the opening of Captain E.O.

parkgoer

Original Poster
BIG difference. Last I checked, Johnny Depp didn't spend his entire Curse of the Black Pearl salary to ward off a case of *CHILD MOLESTATION*....nor did he get dragged into court a second time FOR THE SAME THING. If I recall, he didn't go on national TV complaining about why he can't sleep with other children, nor did he hang his own child out of a balcony window several stories up.

I'm not expecting my Disney actors/personas to be angels. But the line of child molestation/abuse should never be crossed under any circumstance. Had Johnny Depp or Steven Tyler been accused of feeding drugs to children, payed more money than any of us will see in a lifetime to make it 'go away' and then been hauled into court a few years later on the same charge from someone else..... then I would have been banging on the drum just as hard.

They didn't. They get a pass....

Disney should have disavowed any connection with Whacko the VERY DAY he spent 20 million plus to settle a molestation case out of court. The fact that they watched that, the court case, the TV confession/complaint, the dangling out the window in berlin episode....and did nothing...

and then cashed in on this freak's death when they saw enough depressed souls who were willing to shell out money for a cheap shirt with whacko's picture on it...

....is flat out deplorable.

nice. write it to disney.

Mr. Morrow

Do you know how the U.S judicial system works? You do know that you don't go to jail for being accused of something right? You realize you have to be convicted first?

RobGraves

all politics and accusations aside......I am 28 and have no idea what Captain EO is.....I like MJ songs and was a child of the 80's but I probably will not go on the ride/attraction. I am down to try new things but if there is a long line and I am not particularly a big fan why do it.....I am sure there are many people of my age/generation that feel differently and they are entitled to their opinion but I feel replacing HISTA with EO was a bad decision. They should have made something fresh that adults and kids would recognize and enjoy....I just do not think eo goes with the age group that disney is shooting for...unless I am the only 28 year old that does not know about EO :lookaroun not that disney is going for 28 yr olds but their younger demographic who may not even know who MJ is...

im 28, and grew up with MJ's music and sure as hell knew what Captain EO was and was watching it every weekend as a kid. I went yesterday because 6 of my friends... 18-22 all wanted to see it and had been waiting for it to open for months and all bought merch.

I think you may be the only 28yr old who didnt know what captain EO is... yes.

Neverland

I just do not think eo goes with the age group that disney is shooting for...unless I am the only 28 year old that does not know about EO :lookaroun not that disney is going for 28 yr olds but their younger demographic who may not even know who MJ is...

I'm 19, did not grow up with MJ, know his music anyway, and love Captain EO. Just because Michael Jackson has passed on and no longer makes music doesn't mean he's not a major pop culture icon. I knew who he was when I was a kid, and kids of today do too. That's like saying young people don't know who the Beatles, Elvis, Queen, Frank Sinatra, etc. are. Kids know who they are because those are some of the biggest singers and bands of their respective times, and older people around children know who they are, and continue to play their music. And do you even have to know who MJ is to enjoy the attraction? Tons of people love Star Tours, even though the technology is dated and a lot of guests know next to nothing about Star Wars. It's just a fun attraction. :) And think of Splash Mountain. How many guests who ride that attraction do you think have seen Song of the South and know who all the characters are? That percentage is very low, yet Splash Mountain has been an extremely popular attraction since it opened. A fun ride is a fun ride. :)

Timekeeper

Do you know how the U.S judicial system works? You do know that you don't go to jail for being accused of something right? You realize you have to be convicted first?

That is false. All it takes is an accusation to lead to an arrest, which in turn leads to detention. Many criminal defendants are then released on their own recognizance, or by bail, but there are some who are not. There are plenty of situations in which a criminal defendant might be subject to pre-trial detention, for different reasons. That period of detention can last for months. So, yes, a simple accusation can - and does - land people in jail. :brick:

...And, lest we not forget, there have been plenty of cases of wrongful convictions. Plenty of people argue that we have the best system, but no one can argue that it's perfect; no system is.

Timekeeper

I'm not expecting my Disney actors/personas to be angels. Had Johnny Depp or Steven Tyler been accused of ... then I would have been banging on the drum just as hard. They didn't. They get a pass....

So, remind me again, who is it that gets to decide which crimes (stemming from accusations) are "pass" worthy and which crimes are not? :brick:

Disney should have disavowed any connection with Whacko the VERY DAY he spent 20 million plus to settle a molestation case out of court.

You are aware that Disney settles lawsuits everyday, right? I guess that means Disney is "guilty" [liable] for every claim that's brought against them that they settle or "make go away." Wow, all those negligence complaints against Disney, guess that means they're pretty darn negligent. :brick:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom