Captain EO Possably Coming Back/Wall-E Film in Land?

slappy magoo

I'd be shocked to find out they were considering showing Captain EO to the public once again.

What I WOULDN'T be shocked to find out is that some big shot with deep pockets was considering renting out the WoL pavilion one night for a "tribute" to Michael Jackson, complete with a super-exclusive one-time only screening of Captain EO, something that would then get wacky-tacky'd by making it a contest for some plebes to win a trip to WDW. If the money's right, Disney would make it happen. If people can rent out the castle for a wedding, they certainly would rent out WoL for a screening of Captain EO, assuming, of course, the theater could still handle the film and all the bells and whistles that's supposed to coincide with it.

I saw it, once, the only time I went to WDW before being a grownup on my own dime, with my senior class. Needless to say, we were the obnoxious twerps we all comaplin about now :D and we were overwhelmed by the 3-D, but not anything about MJ.

flynnibus

Premium Member
IF Disney wanted to do a tribute... they'd just post the video online for awhile. Less liability - virtually no cost - and would still protect their product by controlling what quality was used (retaining a high quality for their warchest).

Spending money to do anything in the real HISTA theater that wouldn't pull in any revenue to salute a suspected child molester by a family-focused company like Disney who is so PC-aware is basically... stupid.

Even if they did it as some closed door, ticketed event... who is going to fly to FL just to see this show?

Disney won't touch MJ with a ten foot pole - it would be a PR nightmare for them.

worldfanatic

Honey I shrunk the Audience has become an antiquated borefest! Just about anything would be an improvement. WALL*E would be fine.

As far as Captain EO is concerned, I saw that movie on Youtube recently. WHAT A JOKE!! :hurl::hurl::hurl:

To put it kindly, not Jackson's best work.
And with his pill popping exploits going public among other problems, I'd be shocked if we see Captain EO anywhere back in WDW.

janoimagine

I only hope that this is just a rumor. I saw Captain EO a long time ago, and even as a younger version of myself, could not believe how bad it was.

Figment632

Someone mentioned replacing HISTA with a Figment film, as much as I would love to see this I don't think it would happen. Whatever replaces HISTA will most likely be used in Epcot and TL in DL. So the film had to fit both areas.

tirian

The theatre is probably going to be demolished. If anyone was told anything about a revival of Captain EO, it's either a joke or a lame attempt at another unnecessary Wacko Jacko tribute.

hokielutz

I wouldn't call putting Captain EO in as the next long term show for the theater.... more like a special encore presentation that would act as a transition to the next project.
Honey I shrunk the audience is long past its prime and is the only thing that gets some foot traffic near the imagination pavillion.

redkoala245

Both of these rumors sounds like a great idea, but I doubt they will be bringing back Captain EO probably because of the death of Michael Jackson. Thats just my thoughts.
Wall E sounds great I guess. Circle of Life needs to be updated and needs to be more interesting.

hokielutz

multiple said:
don't think they should do it as a tribute to a pedifile

Captain EO was sooooo bad bringing it back would only make everyone realize just how bad it actually was

I saw that movie on Youtube recently. WHAT A JOKE!!

I saw Captain EO a long time ago, and even as a younger version of myself, could not believe how bad it was.

If anyone was told anything about a revival of Captain EO, it's either a joke or a lame attempt at another unnecessary Wacko Jacko tribute.

Well MJ did sing: "Ya know I'm Bad, I'm Bad, ya know it,"

Joking aside... its interesting how harsh the responses are for a past show that EPCOT had in that theater for 8 years, and it was produced and directed by quite a few big-wigs in the movie industry (F.F. Coppola, G. Lucas, and V. Storaro). So 8 years in Epcot and 11 years in DL, really doesn't scream: bad.

Also, the movie was filmed and produced primarily for the 3-D theaters Disney was using, so unless your PC can replicate the lasers, smoke, and simulated starfields from the theaters, then the impact of the show is non-existent. You can't compare the full effect show to the rinky- You-Tube hacked version.

bottom line - It would be nice to see an encore presentation at the same theater for a SHORT Period. And if my trip(s) fall into that viewing period, I would see the show, but HISTA has not gotten my attention for the last several trips because of how outdated it has become.

EPCOTPluto

If I may say, (while not advocating it), but HISTA is one of my favorites 3D shows.
It's funny, different, and yes, outdated, but in a good way. :D

hrcollectibles

I think a revival of EO would be an awesome way for Disney to pay tribute to Michael. I, for one, would definitely like to see it seeing as how I was 5 when they removed it in the early 90's.

I think there have been enough tributes to Michael Jackson.

1. Disney is considering it, which is a sign to the contrary. The people want it back and would pay to see it, so bringing it back could be a huge draw for Epcot.

If Disney sees that people want to pay to see it then I could see them releasing it on DVD. Why not milk the cash cow that Michael Jackson is.. Everyone else seems to be doing that.

Maybe they will release some kind of collectible for D23

hrcollectibles

Captain Eo is over. It is done. The show was OK, but should not be brought back. I would support a DVD release though. If you want a Disney tribute to MJ, here is the solution:

Take an empty club in Pleasure Island. Get a few of his outfits and his Disneyana collection, along with his gold records, and what ever other items, and open it to the public. Charge admission and donate it to charity. They can even play his music and have a dance floor so people can try to imitate his moves. There, you Pleasure Island people have your dance club and the MJ fans have their tribute. Kill two birds with one stone. :lookaroun :ROFLOL:

Will this Empty club serve Alcohol and perhaps Jesus Juice?:lookaroun

Testtrack321

I could see EO coming back as an after hours event in DL and Epcot/MK for D23 patrons, but not as a full time attraction. Even with that, the Martin has spoken.... :ROFLOL:

dxwwf3

I don't care what anyone says, if they can put EO back in without putting a ton of time and money into it, they would be crazy not to do so. Do you people not see how much attention this would bring to the parks? This would get people into Disneyland and Epcot that haven't been in years because they want to see EO in its original glory. Do you folks honestly believe that people wouldn't be lined up all the way to The Land every day for this show right now? Sure it is something that would need to be a very limited engagement, one year maximum, but if they did the preshow right (show highlights of Jackson's career and some behind the scenes perspective on EO) this could be a HUGE hit for Epcot.

I personally love HISTA, but bringing back EO really could be a great financial decision for TDO right now. And this is something I don't even think wannab@dis would be against :lol:

As stated above, this could easily serve as a transition to the next film in the Magic Eye Theater (or hopefully they'll use the space for a new Imagination ride). Maybe they will determine that it would cost too much to put it in for a short period of time and I guess I can understand that. But you would think they could make enough on merchandise to offset those costs.

dxwwf3

I could see EO coming back as an after hours event in DL and Epcot/MK for D23 patrons, but not as a full time attraction.

But I think interest in EO would be greater among the general public than it would be among Disney fans. I personally think this is something that would get the type of person who doesn't have a Disney park on their radar back through the turnstiles again.

Enchantâmes

I love how so many people in these boards claim to have inside info but can never back anything up. It is not coming back. They would be stupid to bring a goofy 80's show back.

Putting Wall-E in the land is an even worse idea.
I love how you shove your ideas in our faces and demand they be done and then mock other people's ideas.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom