Captain EO Possably Coming Back/Wall-E Film in Land?

Figments Friend

Nice images. Where are they from by chance?

I scanned these from a old amatuer film makers magazine from the 80's called 'CineMagic'. They had a extensive article all about the making of this film with many unusual 'behing the scenes' type photos. These are only a few of the ones featured in the article. Since it is a filmakers mag, the text gets pretty technical which is GREAT as most articles tend to gloss things over or generalize/simplify the info. Not this one. I saved this mag specifically for that reason as it had some really nice insights into the making of Captain Eo.

I have a couple more i will post in a moment.

Figments Friend

CaptainEoSupremeLeaderSMALL.jpg

The Supreme Leader, portrayed by Angelica Houston. I always thought this was a very cool look. A bit reminicent of H.R.Gigers work...but still unique in it's own way.

-
MichaelJacksonasCaptainEoSMALL.jpg

Nice portrait of the good Captain off-camera. I JUST found this photograph the other day in a recent MJ Tribute magazine. Imagine my delight finding this.....

...and speaking of 'Imagination'.........

Figments Friend

...............check out this great photo- MJ taking a stroll through the Rainbow Tunnel at the original 'Journey Into Imagination' Pavillion back in the day!

Wowee!!!

MichaelJacksonintheJIIRainbowTunnel.jpg

:eek:

The Conundrum

Seems like after George Lucas split from his partnership Disney in the mid 90s things went to hell in a hand basket real quick.

That man knew how to make an attraction (as evident by Star Tours, Captain Eo, Indy Adventure, and his proposals for Tomorrowland and Alien Encounter). I also give alot of credit to Tony Baxter for pitching the idea of getting Lucas involved and to Eisner and Frank Wells for going through on it. Getting Michael Jackson involved was a huge boon too especially since he was probably the most hardcore Disney fanatic that ever lived.

PhotoDave219

Here's a rumor that was posted to Screamscape last night:

According to an insider, some peeps from Imagineering were seen scoping out the Honey I Shrunk The Audience theater building, claiming they were simply seeing if it were still possible to show Captain EO once again. Again… they were just looking to see if it were even still possible… not that they have committed to doing it yet.
Nearby I’ve heard an odd rumor that a new video based show is under consideration to take over The Circle of Life show in Epcot’s The Land pavilion. The rumor going around was that it may involve Pixar characters somehow, and given the environmental themes of the pavilion and former show, I wouldn’t be surprised if they bring in Wall-E.

The fact that Disney is considering bringing back EO is proof that fandom can work. Hopefully the results of that inspection were that the film can be shown again, although I assume the 4-D effects for HISTA won't be used, although it would be cool if the moving seats were somehow incorperated into the show...

As for the Wall-E rumor, I figured it was only a matter of time before that happened. CoL is really outdated and needs to go an Wall-E would make perfect sence as far as a conservation film.

Thoughts?

Screamscape's batting average ranks in the lower half of Rookie-ball.

I like our Bothans better.

Figments Friend

Seems like after George Lucas split from his partnership Disney in the mid 90s things went to hell in a hand basket real quick.

That man knew how to make an attraction (as evident by Star Tours, Captain Eo, Indy Adventure, and his proposals for Tomorrowland and Alien Encounter). I also give alot of credit to Tony Baxter for pitching the idea of getting Lucas involved and to Eisner and Frank Wells for going through on it. Getting Michael Jackson involved was a huge boon too especially since he was probably the most hardcore Disney fanatic that ever lived.

Tony Baxter RULES.

I love that man, for oh so many reasons.

:animwink:

imagineer boy

CaptainEoSupremeLeaderSMALL.jpg

The Supreme Leader, portrayed by Angelica Houston. I always thought this was a very cool look. A bit reminicent of H.R.Gigers work...but still unique in it's own way.

I agree, while I think the rest of the show was kinda cheesy I always thought the supreme leader was really cool. They say she was even the inspiration for the borg queen in Star Trek First Contact.

JustInTime

1. They aren't considering it. Don't take a post on screamscape as gospel. The only people who want Captain EO back are those who don't remember how awful it was. If Jackson hadn't died, it wouldn't even be a rumor. And don't tell me with the snail pace that TDO has been moving for the past few years that they would be getting stuff done this quickly. Also, the 'report' doesn't even make sense. Why would they have to 'see' if it was possible? The theater is nearly exactly the same, and they know that. I could see them doing a 'special' showing, but bringing it back to actually be the scheduled attraction? No.

2. Of course it is. Its WDWMagic. Everything Pixar is overrated and overexposed.

1. Who really, really cars about Captian EO anyway? When talking about extent attractions a month ago NOBODY talked about EO. People only pretend to care now that he is dead.

2. Pixar movies are underratred.

stitch8834

I agree that EO is outdated but I would like to see it again for nostalgia, as a short term thing, as it's far better in 3D than on u-tube.

As for Wall-E, I loved the film and agree that COL needs updating as I got bored the only time I saw it, and feel that Wall-E might be the way to go.

DisneyDellsDude

Do we really want an outdated 3-D film returning to Epcot???
I'm all for making references to old experiences or updating them, but just pulling an old show back verbatim? And in Epcot?!:eek:

Just go to mousebits. You can download the full video of Captain EO, and if you have red/cyan glasses, you can even watch it in 3-D!

worldfanatic

Do we really want an outdated 3-D film returning to Epcot???

Some do. But clearly the vast majority of us are in the "NO" camp.

I don't care if it's on a computer monitor or the largest theater screen on the planet, CAPTAIN EO IS A DISASTER!!

God bless Jackson!! He was a huge talent and a giant Disney fan!
Don't dishonor him by reshowing the most pathetic work of his life!! :hurl:

The Conundrum

1. Who really, really cars about Captian EO anyway? When talking about extent attractions a month ago NOBODY talked about EO. People only pretend to care now that he is dead.

2. Pixar movies are underratred.

1. Plenty of people were talking about Captain Eo even before he died. It just wasn't discussed here.

2. How the hell are they underrated? Really explain this to me. If anything they are overrated.

ClasikRok

Keep Moving Forward...

Based on the idea of "Keep Moving Forward" I doubt this would ever happen. It would be nice, but it doesn't seem likely.

WALL-E def needs some kind of presence in Future World, I don't think there could be a better place for him than in The Land. :animwink:

dxwwf3

I think Disney lives by Keep Making Money a lot more than they do Keep Moving Forward. If that weren't the case, there wouldn't be any movie characters in Future World, even Wall-E.

hrcollectibles

I think it would be a great idea if they were to release this on DVD .. Sure you would miss out on the special effects but they could include 3-D glasses with the packaging. I think this is similar to Universal releasing the Back to the Future the Ride on DVD. Sure there were fan videos of the attraction. But Universal saw that there was a market for a ride experience on DVD. The ride portion does lose something without the motion of a moving Delorean but it is cool to sit back and watch. I could see pepole dropping 14.99 -19.99 for Captain Eo on DVD

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom