Captain America 4

MoonRakerSCM

No one is saying reshoots are new. ~6 months of reshoots though is an extremely long time. THAT is new.

Reported principal photography was only ~4 months (march through june). The reported reshoots are to be longer than principal photography.

Heck, The Marvels only had a month or so of reshoots and that was considered lengthy/extensive.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
No one is saying reshoots are new. ~6 months of reshoots though is an extremely long time. THAT is new.

Reported principal photography was only ~4 months (march through june). The reported reshoots are to be longer than principal photography.

Heck, The Marvels only had a month or so of reshoots and that was considered lengthy/extensive.
I get your point of it being longer than in the past, but I wouldn't call it chaos as you posted earlier. If the story line has to change due to a change in the direction of the MCU, such as the removal of Kang, then its going to require major reshoots.
I would think this should be applauded as they are trying to "right the ship" as it were and produce a better product.

MoonRakerSCM

I don't think there has been any indication of Kang being involved with Cap4 (he hasn't been involved with filming) so that's not a factor.

Reshoots being longer than principal photography is not a righting of the ship, it's going to dry dock and doing a full retrofit.

You don't spend more time on your corrections than your original effort. That coupled with the tsar bomba of The Marvels, AND your mentioned MCU pivoting from Kang- Chaos.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I don't think there has been any indication of Kang being involved with Cap4 (he hasn't been involved with filming) so that's not a factor.

Reshoots being longer than principal photography is not a righting of the ship, it's going to dry dock and doing a full retrofit.

You don't spend more time on your corrections than your original effort. That coupled with the tsar bomba of The Marvels, AND your mentioned MCU pivoting from Kang- Chaos.
Appreciate your opinion, I just disagree.

Not to bring another franchise into this, but Rogue One was rumored to have reshot almost half the film, and its lauded as one of the best Star Wars movies put out since the OT.

If it makes for a better product I'm all for it. I don't care how many times or how long they have to reshoot something.

MoonRakerSCM

Not to bring another franchise into this, but Rogue One was rumored to have reshot almost half the film, and its lauded as one of the best Star Wars movies put out since the OT.

Rogue One had about a month to a month and a half of reshoots. Again, NOTHING like what is rumored to be taking place for Cap4.

Just curious what you would consider to be chaos at your studio if you were running one... with the following-
- Your newly released tentpole film is bombing massively.
- Your next film is slated to undergo extensive reshoots (again, WAY longer than other film reshoots).
- The entire direction of your studio's entire universe is in question and likely to be abandoned.
- The media is nipping at your heels with the buzz statements such as 'superhero fatigue' becoming more and more popular.

Sounds like chaos to me...

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Rogue One had about a month to a month and a half of reshoots. Again, NOTHING like what is rumored to be taking place for Cap4.

Just curious what you would consider to be chaos at your studio if you were running one... with the following-
- Your newly released tentpole film is bombing massively.
- Your next film is slated to undergo extensive reshoots (again, WAY longer than other film reshoots).
- The entire direction of your studios entire universe is in question and likely to be abandoned.
- The media is nipping at your heels with the buzz statements such as 'superhero fatigue' becoming more and more popular.

Sounds like chaos to me...
Again I appreciate your opinion, I just disagree.

Also its not the next film, its been shuffled to another date. The next film is Deadpool 3.

Chaos to me is DC, which had to have entire leadership turn over multiple times and still haven't started their "new" Cinematic Universe.

Sorry but, box office performance aside, story changes and reshoots to me are not chaos. You obviously have a different opinion, and that is cool. But I just see it differently, and there should be nothing wrong with that.

erasure fan1

It was significantly more than 50% if I remember correctly. You are correct, reshoots aren't necessarily a "chaos" indicator. Solo also reshot the majority of the film and that didn't turn out so great. Becoming the lowest box-office of the Disney star wars bunch. So it's very hard to say if reshoots will be a good or bad thing.

Every film has reshoots planned in the original production time. Marvel is not in chaos mode like DC is, at least not yet. Are they in re-evaluation mode? I'd say so. I think they know they need to pivot the overarching story. Will it be good, or too little too late? I have no idea, I guess we'll see in a year or so.

LSLS

Has it been said that they need a full 6 months of reshoots? I mean, is it possible that due to other commitments, some people can't do their sections til maybe March, others in January, etc.? I will say, just looking up lists of movies that have large reshoots, it doesn't look good. Yes, Rogue One it was great, but then you have Justice League, Dark Phoenix, Suicide Squad, Solo, and Fantastic Four.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
It was significantly more than 50% if I remember correctly. You are correct, reshoots aren't necessarily a "chaos" indicator. Solo also reshot the majority of the film and that didn't turn out so great. Becoming the lowest box-office of the Disney star wars bunch. So it's very hard to say if reshoots will be a good or bad thing.

Every film has reshoots planned in the original production time. Marvel is not in chaos mode like DC is, at least not yet. Are they in re-evaluation mode? I'd say so. I think they know they need to pivot the overarching story. Will it be good, or too little too late? I have no idea, I guess we'll see in a year or so.
Yep, completely agree with you.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Has it been said that they need a full 6 months of reshoots? I mean, is it possible that due to other commitments, some people can't do their sections til maybe March, others in January, etc.? I will say, just looking up lists of movies that have large reshoots, it doesn't look good. Yes, Rogue One it was great, but then you have Justice League, Dark Phoenix, Suicide Squad, Solo, and Fantastic Four.
Exactly, it could be scheduling or other delays that could cause that amount of time. It doesn't mean its 6 months straight of reshoots.

Casper Gutman

Please note: I say the following with absolutely no political judgement.

Cap 4 is also set to feature Sabra, an Israeli superhero, and Marvel may wish to delay the release to avoid controversy or to rework the story to be less relevant to current events.

The original version of Falcon and Winter Soldier similarly suffered badly when its planned storyline became too relevant but it was rushed to release anyway, resulting in a nonsensical final product.

Ghost93

That is typical for every MCU films since 2008, it was the "MCU way". Its just no one cared before and now point to it as if its new and one of the major problems with recent film.
It IS becoming a problem. I say this as someone who is both an MCU and Disney fan. Part of the reason the Marvel budgets are so inflated is because they rush into production without perfect scripts and then realize they have to fix the thing with massive reshoots. The reshoots usually don't save a severely flawed production, forcing the VFX artists to scramble to complete CGI on the new material. This leads to subpar effects and a bloated budget.

I'm not criticizing Marvel for reshooting Captain America 4 if the film isn't good. I'm criticizing Marvel for rushing into production in the first place so that six months of reshoots were even necessary.

Ghost93

Please note: I say the following with absolutely no political judgement.

Cap 4 is also set to feature Sabra, an Israeli superhero, and Marvel may wish to delay the release to avoid controversy or to rework the story to be less relevant to current events.
Yeah that would be smart if what you are saying is true. People on all sides of the Israel/Palestine conflict are very passionate about the matter and it would make zero business sense for Marvel to entangle themselves in such a sensitive issue with a very complicated history.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
It IS becoming a problem. I say this as someone who is both an MCU and Disney fan. Part of the reason the Marvel budgets are so inflated is because they rush into production without perfect scripts and then realize they have to fix the thing with massive reshoots. The reshoots usually don't save a severely flawed production, forcing the VFX artists to scramble to complete CGI on the new material. This leads to subpar effects and a bloated budget.

I'm not criticizing Marvel for reshooting Captain America 4 if the film isn't good. I'm criticizing Marvel for rushing into production in the first place so that six months of reshoots were even necessary.
I'm not saying their process can't be improved, even Marvel admits that it can and appears to be changing it so it doesn't happen as much. I'm just saying that it has been the normal "MCU" way to do things, no matter how long the reshoots take place. But moving forward with new productions I would expect less and less of these reshoots to happen.

LSLS

Uhh... doesn't reshoots mean they want to the movie to be better?

If they didn't do the reshoots, many of you all would be complaining why they left certain scenes in and didn't take the time and money to reshoot.
But flip side is that the original was so bad, and instead of restarting they are trying to pigeonhole a new story into that which was exhisting. Honestly I was a bit surprised that the majority of movies that have huge reshoots are as bad as they are, and I'm not going to judge this one by that at all yet (cause how ridiculous to judge a movie before even a trailer), but I can see slight worry on it.

_caleb

I’m disappointed Cap 4 is delayed, but I’m still really looking forward to it. I just hope Sam/Anthony isn’t back under Steve’s/Chris’s shadow, which could happen if Disney panics and calls the original team back.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom