Can't swing the Poly, so where do we stay?

DisneyPrincess5

Hi all :wave:

So we've found ourselves in a bit of a pickle...

Currently we are booked at the beautiful Polynesian for our January trip but due to some recently discovered scheduling problems, we have to switch our trip by a few days and we've begrudgingly decided to switch hotels to save on cash.

We're looking to switch to Pop Century, Port Orleans, or Coronado.
I'm looking for input...where would you stay and why?

Thanks a lot!!

lilclerk

If you want to stay in a moderate, I'd say Port Orleans. My nephew and I stayed at Coronado earlier this year and it is gorgeous resort, and it's pretty quiet but it was way too big for me to handle :lol: It took forever to walk anywhere. I was glad we stayed there on days we didn't go to the parks, I would have been exhausted with all the walking.
If you're looking to save a few bucks, go for Pop. I absolutely love it there. But I'm not picky about hotel amenities. I'm just looking for a place to crash at night. Personally, I'd rather splurge on dining than my hotel room.

Upvote 0

elizs77

Of the choices you gave, I'd do Port Orleans. It seems to consistantly rank highest among the moderates in guest satisfaction. Unlike Coronado Springs, it's also not a convention hotel. I also happen to prefer the theming. I, personally, would not stay at a Value resort because we do like to have a big room and many of the amenities that aren't available at that level. But that's just me....

If you are still wanting to stay on the monorail and can swing it, the Contemporary is cheaper than the Poly. :) We stayed at the Poly last year and are doing the Contemporary this year. We are staying in the tower for almost the same cost as the garden view at the Poly. If you stay in the garden wing at the Contemporary, then you can get out cheaper.

Upvote 0

diddy_mouse

I vote of Port Orleans. I've only stayed at the French Quarter, so I can't give you an opinion on Riverside, but I'm sure a lot of other people on these boards can. :lol:

POFQ is so relaxing. It's on the smaller side which can be a plus when you have to walk back to your room after a long day at the parks. Both Riverside and French Quarter have access to DTD via boat. Now that was a wonderful ride! DH and I never had problems with the buses, even when we had to swing through Riverside and pick up guests. If I remember right, there are separate stops at MK and possibly Epcot. I think the other theme parks share...but like I said, I can't recall. We stayed there in '05 so it's been a little while. :D

Hope that helps!

Upvote 0

righttrack

I've stayed at moderates, deluxes and Pop. I love the Deluxes, enjoyes Pop, but I don't always understand the "magic" of the Moderates. The room was virtually the same in the moderates as Pop. To me, what makes a deluxe are the beds. With the same double beds in a moderate as you'd get at Pop, I'd save the money and go there.

Upvote 0

happymom52003

Are you sure you can't swing the Wilderness Lodge? Although not on the monorail, you'd have the boat to the MK. It might make it a bit easier to give up the Poly!

Upvote 0

BPForever

I've stayed at moderates, deluxes and Pop. I love the Deluxes, enjoyes Pop, but I don't always understand the "magic" of the Moderates. The room was virtually the same in the moderates as Pop. To me, what makes a deluxe are the beds. With the same double beds in a moderate as you'd get at Pop, I'd save the money and go there.

I think this is great advice

Upvote 0
I've stayed at AT BOTH moderates you suggested...POFQ was the best.If you can't swing the POLY....ck out AKL....it is quite nice.Only problem was a long bus ride...but even that was ok!Or as others suggested,try WL!
Jim

Upvote 0

durangojim

We were in a somewhat similar situation regarding a short (4 night) trip for the fall. We're staying 8 nights at the BC in December but wanted to take the kids to MNSSHP in September. We've never stayed at anything but a deluxe so were very apprehensive about staying at a value. We originally booked 4 nights at an all star, but with the AP discount we changed and will be staying at PORS. After reasearching on this board an others (check out www.portorleans.org) it seems we made a great choice and are actually excited to be staying there. We'll see how we feel after the trip but going on a vacation we wouldn't be taking otherwise is a great incentive to try new things.

Upvote 0

coltow

I've stayed at all 3. POFQ would be 1st choice, then Pop then CS. POFQ was beautiful, quaint and very quiet. The pool and food court were both fantastic. Pop is great for the price (and we'll be there in 8 weeks). The only thing we really liked about CS was the pool. The rooms were ok but we didn't care for the food court at all.

Upvote 0

bgraham34

If money is that tight and you want some extra to play with go with POP. I like it as a resort. But if you plan to spend more time at the resort then go with Port Orleans.

Upvote 0

toystorymaniacs

I love the pop, but if you are use to staying at the Poly, with it's "take me a way from it all atmosphere" you might be a little let down. I would suggest POR or CB, they both have a similar feel to the Poly.

Upvote 0

corey154

Port Orleans French Quarter is one of my favorite parks, but if you need to save some money I'd go to Pop, it's a good place too. French Quarter is smaller, relaxing and you can hop on a boat to Riverside and eat there too. Also has boat to DTD that is a relaxing ride. the only bad thing about pop, it can be crazy b/c there's so many people everywhere in the foodcourt and on buses.

Upvote 0

TxNewsies

We stayed at PORS last summer and enjoyed it greatly! The previous year we stayed at CBR and there was such a difference! We found PO so calming and relaxing. We honestly felt like we were on the riverside. We loved our morning walks to the Food Court. Was simply gorgeous. I would totally recommened PO!

Upvote 0

Chrononymous

Thats's a hard call...

I love the Coranado Springs. The bus is always prompt and the trip is usually fast.
The food there is fabulous, and the pool theme is one of my favorites. And if there isn't a convention there, it's usually quiet, and relaxing. The beach can be very romantic.

Downside...it is huge and sprawling, and the walking to get anywhere can take it's toll (especially if you spent all day in parks, and are already tired.)

Now...I love PO as well! I have stayed at both Riverside and French Quarter.
FQ has a fun atmosphere. Love the Mardi Gras theme, and the pool is cute.

but PO Riverside is more quiet, relaxing, romantic and one of the best hidden gems in WDW, in my opinion!
Rocking chairs by the beautiful pool, and feeling surrounded by nature.
And I like the food court a lot. We would sit for hours next to the big water wheel, and it was like we were completely transported to another place.

If you are used to Poly, I would think this would be a great substitute!
Plus the boat ride to Downtown is nice.

Downside is that the bus seems to take forever before you get anywhere!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom