Canadian Lumberjack Show to open at Epcot's Canada Pavilion in early October

PhotoDave219

At least following all the entertainment cuts, this is at least something. Anyone managed to slip in a Monty Python reference yet?
Lumberjack_Song.jpg

About 35 times. And we're not slipping them in, we're putting on womens clothing, just like our dear pa pa...

ImagineerDude

Did I really just waste nearly 8 minutes of mylife watching that? I never watched Off Kilter (sadly) and if their show is anything like what's in the video...I won't be watching it either. :bored:

GrammieBee

For goodness sake, why all the negativity? One would think the world had come to an end. "Off Kilter" was good, but its time has come and gone whether you like it or not. The same as many other attractions. At least it is being replaced with something that may prove to be quite popular.

Paul Bunyan was an exaggerated character originating in lumbermens' folk tales. There might have been some basis in fact based on the name possibly evolving from the French Canadian. These tales kept getting embellished and gradually moved along with lumbering from the forests of the East, including Canada,to the northern Midwest and eventually to the forests of the far West in both the United States and Canada. People think of him as American because the first tales of his exploits were published in the U.S. as part of an advertising campaign for a Wisconsin lumbering/paper company.

Lumber Jack shows involve a lot more than just chain saws. Professional performer lumberjacks come from many places other than Florida, even Canada. The shows are usually fun to watch and children, except for the very young, almost always like them. Particularly boys. (And, yes, many girls as well.)

Last edited:

Rinx

I'm sure I'm in the minority here when I say I'm glad I will no longer have to hear the painful sounds of the worst instrument ever created (bagpipes) while walking in WS anymore. Though with chainsaws walking around WS could feel like being in line for Kali. Disney could've avoided this if they had some kind of hockey entertainment. Can't get much more Canadian than that! :cool: :geek: .....one could dream.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
George Washington was British.. doesn't make him a British legend.

The point being the relevance of a folktale is not about the setting of the folktale as much as who the folktale is important to and to whom it has significance.
Very true. I was not as interested in the origin of the character per se, more the origin of the folk tale itself. For all I've read, there is no true origin known, aside from marking it first appearing in 1910 in a newspaper. Like most folk tales, there were likely many versions told throughout all of logging country. Appropriately enough for Disney, he seems like he was a character who was mainly put out for Advertising purposes in the early 1900s, being used by logging companies mainly. I am no Paul Bunyan historian, I only play one on the internet. All my knowledge, aside from visiting a few of the big statues in Minnesota early in life, comes from some Google Fu this morning.

And of course, none of this origin really matters to Disney. I'm sure that I've likely put more thought this morning into the name Paul Bunyan than they did. They decided they wanted a logging show, looked local, found one, and booked them based on their cost. They could have been named the Al Qaeda Logging Show and if their price was right (ie. cheap), Disney would have hired them.

wannabeBelle

How about not replacing Off Kilter at all.

How about replacing something when it gets old, stale and is not enjoyed by guests. Off Kilter never seemed to get old. The show was good and always seemed way too short. Most nights it was impossible to get through the promenade when they were playing with people watching the show.

Ok, the lumberjack show could be interesting, but for how long? Off Kilter could and did mix it up all the time by playing different music whether it was tradition Celtic or switch into rock or even blast out a few Metallica tunes. I hope this works out.

If something really needs to be replaced in Epcot then look @ Imagination or even more Captain EO!
Yes on all counts!!! Marie

wannabeBelle

Marie, did you hear if the band wanted to re-up their contract or did they want to retire from the Epcot gig?
They did not know they were being terminated until literally the night I posted this and would have continued happily performing at EPCOT for years to come. They absolutely wanted to be saved, but Disney wasn't budging on this one at all. They certainly were not ready to hang up the kilts and the band is every bit as devastated at the fans are. It is heartbreaking. Marie

wannabeBelle

Did I really just waste nearly 8 minutes of mylife watching that? I never watched Off Kilter (sadly) and if their show is anything like what's in the video...I won't be watching it either. :bored:
Check out the final performance of Off Kilter video posted on this site. If you have never seen them, this is one of the finest performances I have ever seen them do and shows all the love and respect they have for their fans. It is listed on the main page on the left hand side. Marie

TheRabbit

Thank you - he was born in a british colony, of british descent, and a subject of the British king. In hindsight yes I could have used an example that was less convoluted, but I think everyone got the idea :)

Gandhi on the other hand.. was just under british control. India was governed by the British.. not settled and descended from the British :)
I love the history lessons. :)

DMC-12

It's HarmonioUS, NOT HarmoniYOU.
Marie, did you hear if the band wanted to re-up their contract or did they want to retire from the Epcot gig?

They did not know they were being terminated until literally the night I posted this and would have continued happily performing at EPCOT for years to come. They absolutely wanted to be saved, but Disney wasn't budging on this one at all. They certainly were not ready to hang up the kilts and the band is every bit as devastated at the fans are. It is heartbreaking. Marie

Folks on the wdw sub reddit are saying the exact opposite. They said the band wanted out... and did not want to sign (be tied down to) another 5yr deal at Epcot. *shrugs*

*confused*

AngryEyes

Did you guys really plan your day around bagpipe performances? Crazy. I'd as soon swing a cat around and listen to it, even with the scratches I'd likely sustain.

Anyway, if they're having a Scottish music group in the UK, maybe they figured the two would be too similar.

People will enjoy the lumberjack show, I'm sure. They're popular.

Rutt

For goodness sake, why all the negativity? One would think the world had come to an end. "Off Kilter" was good, but its time has come and gone whether you like it or not. The same as many other attractions. At least it is being replaced with something that may prove to be quite popular.

Paul Bunyan was an exaggerated character originating in lumbermens' folk tales. There might have been some basis in fact based on the name possibly evolving from the French Canadian. These tales kept getting embellished and gradually moved along with lumbering from the forests of the East, including Canada,to the northern Midwest and eventually to the forests of the far West in both the United States and Canada. People think of him as American because the first tales of his exploits were published in the U.S. as part of an advertising campaign for a Wisconsin lumbering/paper company.

Lumber Jack shows involve a lot more than just chain saws. Professional performer lumberjacks come from many places other than Florida, even Canada. The shows are usually fun to watch and children, except for the very young, almost always like them. Particularly boys. (And, yes, many girls as well.)

This is true.
Maybe we'll luck out and they'll replace the Voices Of Liberty with something like Justin Bieber. He's just as much American as he is Canadian right?

Loud chainsaws don't particularly appeal to my children, but alas, neither did bagpipes. What can you do?

Just doesn't strike me as particularly entertaining or Canadian.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom