Canada Pavilion Rant

KraftServices

Mostly I just like the upstairs area of Canada. It's pretty, and SO quiet, and there's places to sit. It's a really amazing spot to rest and unwind. The rest of the pavilion makes me sad, though. It always feels kind of empty there. It's pretty, but not a lot of substance...

But I'd put it low on the list of stuff in Epcot that needs a fixer-upper.

nickys

Premium Member
I don't know how you could think its not based on that hotel...Its a standard shrink and edit from the hotel listed. I think the problem in Canada, that other pavilions avoid, is that its standing by itself and fails a bit in scale/appearance.

The other pavilions have recognizable things that lead into something else recognizable...Look at the UK, you have the Tower of London next to a 1800s row of shops. You can see those parts, but your eyes don't get a lot of chance to pick it apart. Canada just sits there drawing attention.

That is NOT the Tower of London lol! That's Hampton Court Palace.

And the 1800 row of shops? Wrong again, it's actually representing 4 centuries of shops, showing how they change over the centuries etc.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Canada is my 3rd favorite WS pavilion at Epcot right behind Mexico and American Adventure... The Martin Short O Canada film is one of my favorites! And only entertaining educational attraction, not to me, but to anyone I ever take. They seem to get a kick out of Martin Short but find China and France's films incredibly boring.

NearTheEars

Man...I always show up at EPCOT hoping that it's changed. And I always leave disappointed. Canada is the biggest waste of a Pavilion in EPCOT (unless you want to count the Africa area in between Norway and China - which I don't).

I say this out of respect. I love Canada. Heck, my wife is from Toronto. And even she has no interest in stopping in the Pavilion.

You've got Martin Short, a popcorn cart, an o.k. steakhouse, and an entire pavilion based on British Columbia, along with rotating acts on a stage that don't seem to last (I did like "Off Kilter"....the Lumberjacks...not so much). That's Canada at EPCOT.

You're freaking Canada. How about some poutine? Maybe some smoked meat? Canadian cronuts?...Montreal bagels? a Tim Horton cart (yeah, I'm sure Starbucks would love that.....probably in their contract). How about some representation from Ontario and/or Quebec.

You'd think maybe, just maybe during a F&W or F&G they'd try to mix it up. Bring in some of the good stuff.....but no....It's still the Cheese Soup and Fillet. The Canada Booth during the festivals is just a big advert for LeCellier......like it has been forever.

It's almost to the point where routinely I find myself starting my World Showcase journey in Mexico and when I get to the red phone booths in the UK we turn around and walk back.

The bands at the Mill Stage are being rotated on purpose. Many have come back several times over.
I agree about the lumberjacks, and obviously TDO does too.

DfromATX

I really don't care for Epcot I always see people list it as their favourite park but I always wonder how? May have been a great park in the 90s but not anymore. When I visit I most look forward to visiting the Mitsukoshi store in Japan and that's about it. I'm really hoping it will be hugely improved over the next few years. If Canada was given a rapid ride as well as every other country getting actual attractions then it would be an immediate improvement. France is getting a ride as is the UK supposedly so hopefully my wish is coming true. Just need that Mount Fuji coaster announcement..

I agree. It's my entire family's least favorite park, although there are some things I love like Living with the Land so I'd never skip it.

castlecake2.0

Another thing that limits the pavilion is its archeitecture. All the different levels just cause the guest to move on because they can't be bothered to go up the stairs (especially with a stroller). I do wish they added anything to top level to give it interest, even if it's just a quiet gallery at least there would be something going on. I do love getting a beer and just sitting up there though. I also have thought that Hudsons Bay Company could be a good partner for the pavilion. They were a fur trading company that settled most of the north west of Canada and now own department stores including Saks and Lord&Taylors along with The Bay in Canada. Seems like an easy spot for them to sell their brand in merch or even just host a gallery about their history. Easy advertising.

nickys

Premium Member
I read something a while back about an elevated look out spot above the mountain range. I think there was said to be a path with stairs to the right of the theater exit (or the left of you're exiting). Anyone know about this?

It was a mistake.

I think it was me that posted that on one thread, maybe about tours ...?

Anyway, I never thought I'd ever be contradicting Martin ( :jawdrop: ) but there IS a path that goes up and around the rocks and waterfalls.

I don't know if it's always open to the public, maybe it's CMs only for some reason. But on Jan 1st this year I went up it on the Discover World Showcase tour. It meanders around, and you look down on the gardens and the waterfalls. It was absolutely stunning, and then we came down near the bridge in the gardens. I'll see if I can find some pictures to post because it was just glorious.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I think it was me that posted that on one thread, maybe about tours ...?

Anyway, I never thought I'd ever be contradicting Martin ( :jawdrop: ) but there IS a path that goes up and around the rocks and waterfalls.

I don't know if it's always open to the public, maybe it's CMs only for some reason. But on Jan 1st this year I went up it on the Discover World Showcase tour. It meanders around, and you look down on the gardens and the waterfalls. It was absolutely stunning, and then we came down near the bridge in the gardens. I'll see if I can find some pictures to post because it was just glorious.
I'd love to see the pics!

There is indeed a path; back in the day IllumiNations 88 had some infrastructure up there. I assume it's the same one. I thought we were talking about a normal guest area.

Last edited:

nickys

Premium Member
I'd love to see the pics!

There is indeed a path; back in the day IllumiNations 88 had some infrastructure up there. I thought we were talking about a normal guest area.

I didn't realise it wasn't a normal guest area to be honest. It looked like just a nice path up the rocks. But then we did go backstage a few times so this must have been another one, only not behind-the-scenes backstage.

I'll search my photos and also ask DS if he has any. I might need his assistance getting them off my camera (or the cloud) onto my iPad .....!

castlecake2.0

I didn't realise it wasn't a normal guest area to be honest. It looked like just a nice path up the rocks. But then we did go backstage a few times so this must have been another one, only not behind-the-scenes backstage.

I'll search my photos and also ask DS if he has any. I might need his assistance getting them off my camera (or the cloud) onto my iPad .....!
I think this is just the normal guest path that goes up the stairs from the O CANADA! Entrance? It goes up towards the Chateau where there's a little plaza to view the waterfalls then continues on to a ramp/bridge where you can view the gardens. To get up into the actual mountains covering the attraction you need to climb wall mounted ladders on the backside of the "show building".

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
The Pavilion: The buildings take up 1 acre, the gardens take up .4 acres, and, here's the disheartening part... the forest takes up .6 acres.

So, the gardens, while nice, are a bit... guarded. There are no benches in the area to sit and enjoy them. No table at which to eat. You walk through it... quite literally. One path through it... not even a loop to see it from other angles. The gardens could be expanded to twice its size by taking over the copse of trees. You could add benches and tables. Otherwise the gardens are OK for a quick look and being ushered out.

If one thinks of other buildings or attractions or even a QS that would befit Canada, you can use the gardens and tree area and pretty much double all the building space.

I find the waterfall to be really nice. But I only remember it's there when I bring new visitors to O Canada. They're so hidden from the WS walkway.

While Martin Short is so... Martin Short. And I mean that both in a complimentary and critical way... O Canada does an excellent job representing the country (except for the pedestrian "lyrics" of the final song). It would have served the movie better for Martin to have filmed on location than a studio green screen. And at the risk of being reported by @marni1971, it's much better than the outdated Impressions de France.

While the stairs are quite a challenge for us USians, luckily, there are bypass ramps for each flight of stairs. They're just not very noticeable.

Cmdr_Crimson

The Pavilion: The buildings take up 1 acre, the gardens take up .4 acres, and, here's the disheartening part... the forest takes up .6 acres.

So, the gardens, while nice, are a bit... guarded. There are no benches in the area to sit and enjoy them. No table at which to eat. You walk through it... quite literally. One path through it... not even a loop to see it from other angles. The gardens could be expanded to twice its size by taking over the copse of trees. You could add benches and tables. Otherwise the gardens are OK for a quick look and being ushered out.

If one thinks of other buildings or attractions or even a QS that would befit Canada, you can use the gardens and tree area and pretty much double all the building space.

I find the waterfall to be really nice. But I only remember it's there when I bring new visitors to O Canada. They're so hidden from the WS walkway.

While Martin Short is so... Martin Short. And I mean that both in a complimentary and critical way... O Canada does an excellent job representing the country (except for the pedestrian "lyrics" of the final song). It would have served the movie better for Martin to have filmed on location than a studio green screen. And at the risk of being reported by @marni1971, it's much better than the outdated Impressions de France.

While the stairs are quite a challenge for us USians, luckily, there are bypass ramps for each flight of stairs. They're just not very noticeable.

I think we finally found a sign that would fit well as you get to the Pavilion area....:hilarious:
sorry.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom