Canada Pavilion Rant

Kevin_W

The gardens in Canada are one of my favorite spots in all of WS. And I really like the mountains/waterfall as well. I'm not the biggest Martin Short fan, but I still like the movie and hte fact that Canada is one of the pavilions that actually has an attraction in it elevates it towards the top of the list, IMO.

Jedi Stitch

Yes the totems and such are BC. Heck felt like home, but them from Seattle. I love the Chateau from Quebec, great architectural sample. My wife was bummed when we looked at the shops there, because everything is available in Vancouver that was there. I agree it has more of a BC feel, but it is a nice spot, we enjoyed.

castlecake2.0

There is so much room for opportunity in the pavilion. Even if the upstairs was just used for an art gallery of some sorts so there was at least something to do/look at instead of just being used as storage. The building across from the Chateau was going to be a tourist office but was never finished inside. The chateau is beautiful inside but would need a big refurbishment. We were told during a pavilion meeting (in 2014) that there was no plans for the Canada showcase for at least 5 years.

wannabeBelle

Man...I always show up at EPCOT hoping that it's changed. And I always leave disappointed. Canada is the biggest waste of a Pavilion in EPCOT (unless you want to count the Africa area in between Norway and China - which I don't).

I say this out of respect. I love Canada. Heck, my wife is from Toronto. And even she has no interest in stopping in the Pavilion.

You've got Martin Short, a popcorn cart, an o.k. steakhouse, and an entire pavilion based on British Columbia, along with rotating acts on a stage that don't seem to last (I did like "Off Kilter"....the Lumberjacks...not so much). That's Canada at EPCOT.

You're freaking Canada. How about some poutine? Maybe some smoked meat? Canadian cronuts?...Montreal bagels? a Tim Horton cart (yeah, I'm sure Starbucks would love that.....probably in their contract). How about some representation from Ontario and/or Quebec.

You'd think maybe, just maybe during a F&W or F&G they'd try to mix it up. Bring in some of the good stuff.....but no....It's still the Cheese Soup and Fillet. The Canada Booth during the festivals is just a big advert for LeCellier......like it has been forever.

It's almost to the point where routinely I find myself starting my World Showcase journey in Mexico and when I get to the red phone booths in the UK we turn around and walk back.
Jason from Off Kilter heads up the new act that is usually there, although they have been rotated out for the Food & Wine Fest, called Alberta Bound which are pretty good. Come the holiday season, The Canadian Holiday Voyageurs will be back on the Mill Stage, which is AB for the most part but with different costumes. I haven't hear anything about the current act Suroit I believe is the name. I have heard great things about Bodhaktan from previous performances and I do look forward to catching them at some point. The third act, I know nothing about at all.
I do love the Canadian Pavilion, the waterfalls and gardens are lovely, but I think the pavilion could be expanded and made even better by using some of the space that is closed off currently. Marie

Dave B

The gardens in Canada are one of my favorite spots in all of WS. And I really like the mountains/waterfall as well. I'm not the biggest Martin Short fan, but I still like the movie and hte fact that Canada is one of the pavilions that actually has an attraction in it elevates it towards the top of the list, IMO.
What attraction do they have, never really noticed one before in Canada?

NeedMoreMickey

As you go up the stairs there was a store on the right that sold Anne of Green Gables items. I also bought a picture of a duck painted on I think a piece of black slate that sits on my mantel at home. It used to be I always found something to buy in the shop(s) in Canada usually an inexpensive piece of jewelry or night shirt. I purchased our Christmas tree topper in Canada one year. I don't think I've purchased anything in the last few trips.

PizzaPlanet

I believe someone here brought up the idea of adding a raft ride, which would be amazing. It could be like a Canadian Grizzly River Run, and ideally it would block the Soarin' show building from view.

Bender123

Well they can say it but it's pretty obvious it isn't

I don't know how you could think its not based on that hotel...Its a standard shrink and edit from the hotel listed. I think the problem in Canada, that other pavilions avoid, is that its standing by itself and fails a bit in scale/appearance.

The other pavilions have recognizable things that lead into something else recognizable...Look at the UK, you have the Tower of London next to a 1800s row of shops. You can see those parts, but your eyes don't get a lot of chance to pick it apart. Canada just sits there drawing attention.

1200px-Chateau_Laurier_from_Parliament_Hill.jpg

Cmdr_Crimson

I don't know how you could think its not based on that hotel...Its a standard shrink and edit from the hotel listed. I think the problem in Canada, that other pavilions avoid, is that its standing by itself and fails a bit in scale/appearance.

The other pavilions have recognizable things that lead into something else recognizable...Look at the UK, you have the Tower of London next to a 1800s row of shops. You can see those parts, but your eyes don't get a lot of chance to pick it apart. Canada just sits there drawing attention.

Anytime I've seen this force perspective image it always looks like SE is a monster compared to the Chateau...
92825c809e29d869598fdb447ce5389b--spaceship-earth-showcase-canada.jpg

castlecake2.0

I used to live near this hotel. There are details like the front doors, light fixtures, and even the entrance arch that are copied right from this building and used on the Epcot version. As you say, especially from this angle, it's clearly the inspiration for epcot just like our info guide from imagineering states :)

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
@Monty Any thoughts?? Marie
I thoroughly enjoy the Martin Short movie. The French group Bodh'aktan was great, but I miss Off Kilter. I liked Alberta Bound as well.

I'd love to see them open something in the upper level, but I think with Joffery's and Starbucks, Timmy' is likely out of the question. A Beavertail's shop would be great.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom