Can we now have a real discussion on Marvel in DHS?

FrankLapidus

What if Disney traded a license not used in the parks to Universal for Marvel. Wizard of Oz maybe? Not like we'll be needing the theme park rights for that (unless that means we have to ditch the great movie ride scene).

Aren't Disney making a new Oz film? Either way, I really can't see Universal thinking that the rights to The Wizard of Oz would be anywhere near worth giving up their license to Marvel.

Jedeye80

In a ideal world uni signs a deal with dc comics and rethemes all the existing marvel attractions to batman superman flash etc then lets Disney take back the marvel rights for Orlando. But if we lived in a ideal world then I'd be living in the MK castle, who knows, never say never. But I doubt that I'll live lon enough to see marvel attractions at WDW.

TeriofTerror

My question (and please forgive me if this has already been addressed) is this: Does Universal have the rights for all Marvel characters, or only those that were already in their parks at the time of the Marvel purchase? For example, could Disney do something Ant Man or Wasp based?

lazyboy97o

What if Disney traded a license not used in the parks to Universal for Marvel. Wizard of Oz maybe? Not like we'll be needing the theme park rights for that (unless that means we have to ditch the great movie ride scene).
Those rights are in the public domain. Universal is just as free to do Oz. they are even part owners of Wicked: The Musical and plan to do a film version.

My question (and please forgive me if this has already been addressed) is this: Does Universal have the rights for all Marvel characters, or only those that were already in their parks at the time of the Marvel purchase? For example, could Disney do something Ant Man or Wasp based?
They own all characters in use plus their respective families. The Avengers are specifically used as an example in the contract. They have used more than one (all they need is one) and so they own the rights to everybody associated with the Avengers.

TeriofTerror

They own all characters in use plus their respective families. The Avengers are specifically used as an example in the contract. They have used more than one (all they need is one) and so they own the rights to everybody associated with the Avengers.

So it seems that it would behoove Disney to get cracking some non-Avenger, Spiderman, or X-Men themed productions if they'd like to bring Marvel to WDW...

lexgoodsir

To become a bit of a daydreamer here, I was going off on a bit of a random limitless budgets all round imagination session last night and thought, well, I'm ed off they've closed Jaws because that along with back To The future were Universal films and were obvious and perfect rides... but no Universal don't care that they have a huge stock of their own wonderful films to choose from they just want to buy things from other companies like harry Potter from WB.
So I thought there's nothing anyone can do about that now so what if they keep buying other companies stock, I'm thinking Warner Brothers still, and re theme the Marvel area to DC, thus giving WDW the all clear to use Marvel. Even though I hate Nolans Bat trilogy, people do love it and it could mean they would still feel like they had an upper hand rather than having to come up with something completely different!

However...
I do have a question, how close is the nearest Six Flags? Is it far enough away so Universal could do this without facing more rights issues.

Well yeah like I said, it's a dreamy thought!

lazyboy97o

So it seems that it would behoove Disney to get cracking some non-Avenger, Spiderman, or X-Men themed productions if they'd like to bring Marvel to WDW...
Use does not just mean attractions. The place is littered with characters who all likely count as a "non-incidental use." The task is more akin to having Marvel create and establish an entirely new set of characters with absolutely no relation or association with existing characters.

However...
I do have a question, how close is the nearest Six Flags? Is it far enough away so Universal could do this without facing more rights issues.
The nearest Six Flags is Six Flags Over Georgia outside of Atlanta. It's about a seven hour drive between the two. But proximity is only a factor if that truly is a term of the contract between DC and Six Flags. Universal once held global exclusivity on the Marvel characters, and retain it for all of the United States east of the Mississippi River.

coilback

I had done some research on this awhile back and understand that I'm only going off of what I've read, so if someone has more info, then have at it. I did a web search on a lot of things and mainly focused more on news reports than "rumor boards." Either way, I'm sure someone will flame me or freak out in general.

From what I've read, Universal ONLY owns rights to the Marvel characters it already developed rides for (i.e. Spiderman, Hulk, etc). It cannot develop any other rides east of the Mississippi without Disney's consent. So they don't own the Avengers, rather they own Hulk (since there isn't an Iron Man ride, Thor ride, etc). West of the Mississippi, they can't do anything at all - anywhere else is all Disney's turf so to speak. Disney also gets a percentage of the merch rights because they get the standard percentage Marvel would've gotten themselves previously. They also hold approval rights to the merch design and development, etc. Whether this means Disney will build Marvel at their parks? Who knows. I'm sure there are a lot of other designs on the table before anything Marvel happens, but I'm willing to bet that it's in their back pocket ready to go.

Past that, I know Six Flags has a lot of DC themed attractions - at least around here (the original one here in Arlington, TX). No clue what their contract with DC is, though.

There's always Image comics, heh.

Anyway, here's one of several articles that you can find with a Google search:
http://articles.orlandosentinel.com...-entertainment-walt-disney-marvel-attractions

BryceM

Am I the only one who hates the idea of Marvel in Disney. it just doesn't seem right there...

And using DC at IOA seems horrible. Do you know how many rides out there are named "Superman", "Batman", etc.

GLaDOS

I had done some research on this awhile back and understand that I'm only going off of what I've read, so if someone has more info, then have at it. I did a web search on a lot of things and mainly focused more on news reports than "rumor boards." Either way, I'm sure someone will flame me or freak out in general.

From what I've read, Universal ONLY owns rights to the Marvel characters it already developed rides for (i.e. Spiderman, Hulk, etc). It cannot develop any other rides east of the Mississippi without Disney's consent. So they don't own the Avengers, rather they own Hulk (since there isn't an Iron Man ride, Thor ride, etc).

No flaming, but the contract states that Universal has the exclusive rights to the characters represented, as well as every character listed in that character's "family". So Hulk, being one of the first card-carrying Avengers, means Universal has the rights to the Avengers east of the Mississippi. Spider-Man, Doctor Doom, and Storm do the same for Spidey's family, the Fantastic Four, and X-Men respectively.

WDWmazprty

No flaming, but the contract states that Universal has the exclusive rights to the characters represented, as well as every character listed in that character's "family". So Hulk, being one of the first card-carrying Avengers, means Universal has the rights to the Avengers east of the Mississippi. Spider-Man, Doctor Doom, and Storm do the same for Spidey's family, the Fantastic Four, and X-Men respectively.

What a waste.

WDWmazprty

The only one I'd consider a waste would be X-Men. But Disney wouldn't do an X-Men attraction anyway because Fox owns those movie rights.

The movies and crossovers that could be made with the Marvel Universe if it all was at Disney, the succes of the Avengers was phenomenal. Being able to incorporate X-Men, Fantastic Four, Hulk, Spider-man, etc, etc, etc, in movies and at the parks would be big money for Disney. Too bad, it'll never happen.

FrankLapidus

The movies and crossovers that could be made with the Marvel Universe if it all was at Disney, the succes of the Avengers was phenomenal. Being able to incorporate X-Men, Fantastic Four, Hulk, Spider-man, etc, etc, etc, in movies and at the parks would be big money for Disney. Too bad, it'll never happen.

It can happen at Disneyland where Disney can do as much with Marvel as they want.

lazyboy97o

FrankLapidus

It needs to be at Disney World.

I don't think it needs to be at WDW at all. Disney are already investing heavily in an outside property by bringing Avatar to AK, there are many other different things they could do in Florida without having to pay millions for the license of another one and that is before they started spending on planning and construction. Marvel is fine at Uni, they aren't giving it up anytime soon and it's not coming to WDW; Bob Iger has said as much in a recent interview.

Rasvar

Well, Disney has already done a Phineas & Ferb/Marvel crossover. Guess we know what DCA's next attraction will be based on. ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom