Can we now have a real discussion on Marvel in DHS?

wiigirl

Maybe now we can have a real discussion on pool hopping and reusing resort mugs.

*ducks*

Is that even a discussion?? :p

75.gif

WDW1974

Maybe now we can have a real discussion on pool hopping and reusing resort mugs.

*ducks*

Those would be better.

There at least is some reality based there (I love my lifetime collection of WDW resort soda mugs! I'd still be using them except they are packed away somewhere and I don't spend much time at WDW anymore).

No offense (seriously) to the OP, but the problem is the thread is really fanboi fantasy. Many people have already pointed out, yet again and quite accuarately, why this isn't possible and may never be. So, while I'd say it's fine to talk about, I'd question it being in news and rumors when it is neither.

There is no news here. We don't put box office reports regularly here. And there are no credible rumours at all because those that know, know that it can't/won't happen. Again, this is fodder for talk in an Armchair Imagineering/What If? type of forum where casual readers don't happen upon it and assume something is up ... when nothing is.

Why?

tomman710

Because Disney doesn't have to purchase any rights from Universal before investing in the parks with Avatar....

(And I can't believe we're discussing this again.)

You misunderstand me ... my intent was not to make an argument for Marvel but rather to poke fun at the original post ... my intent was not to prolong the discussion.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
You misunderstand me ... my intent was not to make an argument for Marvel but rather to poke fun at the original post ... my intent was not to prolong the discussion.

Understood stood. No harm meant on my part either. I just couldn't believe we're discussing this again.....:eek:

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Where's the REAL discussion about having Bugs Bunny take over as the mascot of Disney? There's JUST as much evidence!!

misterID

I know I got some snazzy mugs at the Disney Store! Whenever I take my daughters, I wish I was 9 years old again so I could wear that Captain America costume. That would have made a young lebeau the happiest kid on the street!

Back when I was a little ID, I had to strip down to my Incredible Hulk underoos to be the Hulk. And I did it in public more than once. Perhaps even at WDW. :eek:

I would have gone crazy at a marvel store.

JimboJones123

I disagree. EVERYTHING has a price. I'm sure when Disney purchased Marvel their executives/laywers drew up a ballpark "price" they would be happy with if the conversation came up.

However, I do agree it's not worth talking about, because while possible it'll very likely never happen because if I were Universal I would make the buy out astronomical for the Mouse.

I will say, though, that I think it's a discussion the Mouse should at least have with Universal to see where their heads are at because in terms of teen oriented properties with legs, that's one of the few they have. In fact I am sure they did this already and most likely it was a two minute conversation like this;

"Hey we purchased Marvel, what'll it take to buy out your contract?" asks Mouse.

Universal slides a piece of paper across the desk. The Mouse looks at it.

"Ok, never mind, keep writing us checks for royalties, that works," concludes Mouse.
When Universal was a sinking ship for the better part of a decade before HP, Universal would have done anything for extra cash.

When HP 2.0 arrives, will it drive the same numbers as the original for the core park? I have a feeling it will flop. By then those who came for the first one already had their share. They bought the $30 plastic wands. They disliked the Butter Beer. They liked the HP ride, and the town, but the rest was truly lacking enough to drop another $2-4k to stop buy again for more of the same.

I would venture to say that a second HP stop will attract less than 1/3 the new guests that the original added. I tell you for sure that I really don't have interest in more and more and more of the same themed attractions.

Either that or I am still really sad that Jaws is gone. Cannot decide which.

JimboJones123

When Universal was a sinking ship for the better part of a decade before HP, Universal would have done anything for extra cash.

When HP 2.0 arrives, will it drive the same numbers as the original for the core park? I have a feeling it will flop. By then those who came for the first one already had their share. They bought the $30 plastic wands. They disliked the Butter Beer. They liked the HP ride, and the town, but the rest was truly lacking enough to drop another $2-4k to stop buy again for more of the same.

I would venture to say that a second HP stop will attract less than 1/3 the new guests that the original added. I tell you for sure that I really don't have interest in more and more and more of the same themed attractions.

Either that or I am still really sad that Jaws is gone. Cannot decide which.

That was a lot of scattershooting just to say I miss Jaws.

tirian

When HP 2.0 arrives, will it drive the same numbers as the original for the core park? I have a feeling it will flop. By then those who came for the first one already had their share. They bought the $30 plastic wands. They disliked the Butter Beer. They liked the HP ride, and the town, but the rest was truly lacking enough to drop another $2-4k to stop by again for more of the same.

I agree with the bolded part; on my last visit, I felt like I paid too much just to experience one attraction that I loved, a few that I liked, and a mostly mediocre IOA. But Uni knows Potter alone isn't enough, which is why they're simultaneously constructing Transformers. At that point I'll probably get a Florida AP.

And I loved the Butterbeer. ;)

WDW1974

Back when I was a little ID, I had to strip down to my Incredible Hulk underoos to be the Hulk. And I did it in public more than once. Perhaps even at WDW. :eek:

I would have gone crazy at a marvel store.

Yeah, I make my Fanboi Army of Disney Bashers walk around wearing Hulk undies and sucking on giant lollipops.

I don't know why, but it just puts me in the Disney Spirit!

Jimmy Thick

While I don't think Mavel will be at WDW anythime soon, to suggest never is a little absurd. Nothing lasts forever and neither do theme park attractions. Universal could lose interest in Marvel or get a different property to develop at the expense of Marvel.

Nobody knows what the future holds.

Jimmy Thick- As far as you know...

MerlinTheGoat

Universal could lose interest in Marvel...
Yeah, i'm sure we can all agree that there will eventually come a time where Universal (a major corporation) begins to hate money. It's only natural such a corporation would wish to rid itself of the burden of making so much money. Because that makes a world of sense.

As danlb said, Universal will lost interest only if customer interest drops to the extent that people don't even want Marvel anymore. In which case Disney wouldn't want it either. As it stands, interest in Marvel is at an all time high and doesn't look to be dropping anytime soon if ever.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
While I don't think Mavel will be at WDW anythime soon, to suggest never is a little absurd. Nothing lasts forever and neither do theme park attractions. Universal could lose interest in Marvel or get a different property to develop at the expense of Marvel.

Nobody knows what the future holds.

Jimmy Thick- As far as you know...

They will loose interest when the general public's interest in Marvel has dropped siginificantly at which point it won't be worth it for Disney to do anything major with the characters in WDW.

Jimmy Thick

Yeah, i'm sure we can all agree that there will eventually come a time where Universal (a major corporation) begins to hate money. It's only natural such a corporation would wish to rid itself of the burden of making so much money. Because that makes a world of sense.

As danlb said, Universal will lost interest only if customer interest drops to the extent that people don't even want Marvel anymore. In which case Disney wouldn't want it either. As it stands, interest in Marvel is at an all time high and doesn't look to be dropping anytime soon if ever.

While not likely, Universal could say acquire DC comics and phase out Marvel. I doubt it would happen, but its something that could happen, and could open the door for Marvel at Disney World. My point is to never say never.

As for the public's perception of Marvel character's popularity, thats a moot point. Song of the south was a long forgotten movie not many people remembered and was made into one of the best attractions ever. Marvel characters were popular long before the films, and will be popular long after everyone reading these words are gone. Disney owns them, if they get a chance to use them in WDW, Iam sure they will find a way to maximize their value.

Jimmy Thick- Just how old is Spider-Man?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom