Can we now have a real discussion on Marvel in DHS?

fractal

Now that Comcast owns Universal it may change the dynamic between Disney & Universal.

Disney provides a lot of content to Comcast cable. Comcast cable competes heavily against Verizon and the Satelite companies. This is pure speculation, but the Marvel Florida rights might be used as leverage by either Comast or Disney when negotiating the cable business.

the.dreamfinder

Now that Comcast owns Universal it may change the dynamic between Disney & Universal.

Disney provides a lot of content to Comcast cable. Comcast cable competes heavily against Verizon and the Satelite companies. This is pure speculation, but the Marvel Florida rights might be used as leverage by either Comast or Disney when negotiating the cable business.
Or how about ending Uni's exclusivity to the KUKA arm technology in theme parks.

tomman710

While not likely, Universal could say acquire DC comics and phase out Marvel. I doubt it would happen, but its something that could happen, and could open the door for Marvel at Disney World. My point is to never say never.

As for the public's perception of Marvel character's popularity, thats a moot point. Song of the south was a long forgotten movie not many people remembered and was made into one of the best attractions ever. Marvel characters were popular long before the films, and will be popular long after everyone reading these words are gone. Disney owns them, if they get a chance to use them in WDW, Iam sure they will find a way to maximize their value.

Jimmy Thick- Just how old is Spider-Man?

DC rights belong to Six Flags I'd assume.

lazyboy97o

When HP 2.0 arrives, will it drive the same numbers as the original for the core park? I have a feeling it will flop. By then those who came for the first one already had their share. They bought the $30 plastic wands. They disliked the Butter Beer. They liked the HP ride, and the town, but the rest was truly lacking enough to drop another $2-4k to stop buy again for more of the same.
I think a lot of people and Universal's numbers would disagree.

Nothing lasts forever
Except the Marvel Agreement between MCA Inc. and Marvel Entertainment Group...

ChrisFL

Premium Member

Yes, it does, it means that Universal is not hurting for cash at all, and Comcast nearly bought Disney outright a few years ago. Therefore Comcast has no reason to want to negotiate a deal with Disney, especially if it irritates the Mouse.

Magenta Panther

That's actually the point I'm making. Is it really better spent elsewhere? The responses so far are exactly as I've predicted..."it's not legally possible, move along, nothing to see here."

The point I am making is that there *is* something to see here. This franchise has the potential to be larger than any other franchise ever created....the potential financial energy here is huge.

At what point will universal want to sit on merchandise property that lines Disney's pockets? At what point will disney want to watch attractions across town result in turnstile revenue in unversal's pockets?

At what point will Disney's management realize that when people visit a Disney park they want to see DISNEY, not ill-fitting foreign properties that have already had theme-park attractions elsewhere?

ChrisM

At what point will Disney's management realize that when people visit a Disney park they want to see DISNEY, not ill-fitting foreign properties that have already had theme-park attractions elsewhere?

At what point will you realize that 95% of the the visitors to Disney's theme parks don't really care?

Only the die-hards care about this stuff and even then it's only a percentage of the die-hards.

fractal

Yes, it does, it means that Universal is not hurting for cash at all, and Comcast nearly bought Disney outright a few years ago. Therefore Comcast has no reason to want to negotiate a deal with Disney, especially if it irritates the Mouse.
Maybe, maybe not.

Comcast will negotiate a deal if they feel they can benefit from it.

"Hey Disney, how about you knock off 10% from your content fees and we'll rip up the Marvel agreement in Florida".

Again - all speculation - but when you add another player in the game the game changes.

Skunk

Properties in Islands of Adventure Universal doesn't own:

All of Seuss
All of Toon Lagoon
All of Marvel
All of Potter

That's the majority of the park.

Properties in Universal Studios Universal ddoesn't own:

Potter 2.0 (soon)
Transformers (soon)
MIB
Simpsons
Terminator
Shrek
Barney

I don't think they care all that much about having outside properties.

In addition to that, while they distributed Jurassic Park and ET, they still have to pay staggering fees to Steven Spielberg for the use of those properties in the parks. So pretty much the entirety of IOA (minus the tiny Lost Continent and Port Of Entry) is licensed.

lazyboy97o

Where'd you hear that one? The Robocoaster is still marketed to other interested parties.
The stationary ones are, not ones on a track, which KUKA still lists as a "Concept." The exclusivity deal was widely reported in the build up to the opening of Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey.

disneyeater

At what point will message board contributors realize that half of the characters they consider Disney were not Disney created properties and that most people just want to have a great time on great attractions with a fun theme and don't care who created the characters.

Captain Chaos

DC rights belong to Six Flags I'd assume.
Yes... I believe original IOA plans did have a DC themed land, but then Marvel fell into their lap... There were plans or some sort of concept art out there detailing the DC land... I think Batman was the prominent character...

Others have said they think that DC can be used in Universal since there is no Six Flags in Florida... I admit, I have no idea what the DC theme parks rights Six Flags has... Honestly, DC belongs in a better theme park... I like the idea of DC themed characters, but Six Flags is no Universal or Disney... Either of the two would do DC major justice instead of just card board cut outs outside of a roller coaster... Slapping a DC character name on a coaster does not make the ride themed...

IF, and that is a big if, Marvel ever reverted to WDW, and Universal obtains the DC rights, I have full faith in Universal Creative to create a land that is a knock out for the DC Universe...

WDW1974

Yeah, i'm sure we can all agree that there will eventually come a time where Universal (a major corporation) begins to hate money. It's only natural such a corporation would wish to rid itself of the burden of making so much money. Because that makes a world of sense.

As danlb said, Universal will lost interest only if customer interest drops to the extent that people don't even want Marvel anymore. In which case Disney wouldn't want it either. As it stands, interest in Marvel is at an all time high and doesn't look to be dropping anytime soon if ever.

I REALLY like this post.

Magenta Panther

At what point will message board contributors realize that half of the characters they consider Disney were not Disney created properties and that most people just want to have a great time on great attractions with a fun theme and don't care who created the characters.

At what point will other message board contributors realize that some people can tell the difference between a Disney Park and Six Flags?

I don't spend big bucks to go to a Disney park for the neat-o rides. I go for the history behind it, the ambience, the magic, yeah, the pixie dust, whatever you want to call it. It's what makes the Disney parks unique, no matter what amazing attractions other parks build. I love the Harry Potter attraction at Universal, it's amazing, but if I had a choice as to which park to visit...WDW still wins. And anyway, Disney doesn't need Marvel in its parks. Or any other non-Disney entity. Look at the success of Carsland (and don't tell me Pixar's a foreign entity...Lasseter began at Disney and Disney influenced/supported/contributed greatly to Pixar's success) and Buena Vista Street, and wow, there's not a Muppet or a superhero or a giant blue kitty in sight. Even Robert Iger recently admitted that he and his colleagues had underestimated the desire of the public to see DISNEY stuff in a Disney park and that the lack of Disney in the original DCA led to its downfall. Let's hope he remembers that lesson when contemplating future Disney park attractions. Maybe he'll even give Pandora the boot altogether (one can hope!)

TestTrack Dummy

While not likely, Universal could say acquire DC comics and phase out Marvel. I doubt it would happen, but its something that could happen, and could open the door for Marvel at Disney World. My point is to never say never.

As for the public's perception of Marvel character's popularity, thats a moot point. Song of the south was a long forgotten movie not many people remembered and was made into one of the best attractions ever. Marvel characters were popular long before the films, and will be popular long after everyone reading these words are gone. Disney owns them, if they get a chance to use them in WDW, Iam sure they will find a way to maximize their value.

Jimmy Thick- Just how old is Spider-Man?

50! Debuted in 1962

ZaneB

What if Disney traded a license not used in the parks to Universal for Marvel. Wizard of Oz maybe? Not like we'll be needing the theme park rights for that (unless that means we have to ditch the great movie ride scene).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom