Can they close Spaceship Earth?

Austin1

well well Snoopi_grl, you are very much the minority and I consider your commets to bold for a newcomer :hammer: . I personally have been on the ride more times than any other attraction in WDW, I love it!!! :sohappy: As everyone else has said it could use some TLC, but still a very amazing attraction! :slurp: On the disscussion of the wand and the enterance, my first visit to Epcot was 2001 so the wand and the new enterance have become a regular thing for me, but I can also understand the people that don't like it & expierenced it before the wand and other alterations. :wave:

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
snoopi_grl said:
Space ship Earth is unique.. but it pretty much sucks. Sorry, i just had to say that. I wouldn't mind if they close it.

Thank you for that insightful, well constructed, articulately conveyed opinion.

I await your next post with enthusiasm.

dixiegirl

Chase24 said:
You can't possibly be serious

i agree as well..like we need another pin merchandising store.....at least if they are gonna do something with it make it worth while....i really can't see them changing it completly though..or i should say "hope".

dixiegirl

Pumbas Nakasak said:
Thank you for that insightful, well constructed, articulately conveyed opinion.

I await your next post with enthusiasm.

Hello? This is coming from a girl who"worships her lipgloss" :eek: ..

Austin1

Can we please make some kinda disney test you have to take to before you can become a memeber so we know that it actually is someone that loves Disney not some little pre teen know it all. :lol: :lol: :lol:

corran horn

I like the ride. It works well enough. While it may be a little outdated just by the look of it, the information conveyed is no less factual than it was when the ride debuted. It might be nice to see the ending 'future technologies' tweaked a little to focus on things that are actually on the drawing board, who's going to pay for that with no sponsor? It's fine how it is, IMHO. Now if somebody would just explain to me what's in the middle of 'blacked out' area at the top of the ride, that'd be great. :D

Seriously, I am normally all for the total updating of things at Disney. Personally, while I enjoy the Land it's pretty sad to see that (according to the ride) there really haven't been any advances in agriculture in the last 20+ years. The Land has never really been updated, while SE had the ending tweaked a few years back to update it a little, didn't it?

We went to Epcot yesterday and it was a hot day. I was dressed a little better than I normally am at Disney since we were going to Le Cellier for dinner for Father's Day, so I got warm pretty fast. A nice, cool, relaxing ride in Spaceship Earth was much enjoyed by me and the wife. It's pretty much the WEDway (TTA) of Epcot.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
corran horn said:
Now if somebody would just explain to me what's in the middle of 'blacked out' area at the top of the ride, that'd be great. :D

If you mean the portion of the planetarium just as you start your return to earth this would be the satellite being repaired by space walking Animatronics that existed in the Perrin and Cronkite versions of the ride.

corran horn

marni1971 said:
If you mean the portion of the planetarium just as you start your return to earth this would be the satellite being repaired by space walking Animatronics that existed in the Perrin and Cronkite versions of the ride.

*now* I remember that part. Thanks!

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Original Poster
corran horn said:
It's fine how it is, IMHO. Now if somebody would just explain to me what's in the middle of 'blacked out' area at the top of the ride, that'd be great. :D

I'm not sure if i'm understanding your question fully, but i'll try...

The currently used image of Earth from space was not always at the top of SSE. For those not familiar, the image currently is of the entire Earth projected onto the far wall of the top dome (SSE is actually two domes with an elongated equator region rather than being a true sphere - you can't see it from a guest angle but the monorail ride into Epcot begins to betray the illusion if you look hard enough).

Prior to this (I wont say "originally" because I never saw SSE on opening day) it was the image of Earth Rise - or Earth as soon from the moon over the suface's horizon. The famous image depicts only a partial view of Earth with the antarctic region obscured by the lunar landscape (I beleive it was one of the pictures on the wall of Mulder's office in the TV show X-Files if you still don't recognize it). So, in SEE, the partial Earth image was projected and the "set" was the foreground lunar surface obscuring the lower portion of the image (and in the process obscuring the projector for the starfield and the earth image - creative magic at work!)

This was not the only thing up there.

Also there were astronauts akin to those on the mural outside the entrance along with their satellite and space shuttle being projected around the dome - typically on the opposing wall from the earth image, in the area you face as you begin your decent downward.

The entrance tunnel (commonly refered to as the speed tunnel), now painted black, was done to look like a space station. Think blocky living-seas-esque "module" futuristic living type deal.

So, in short, that's what's up there.

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Original Poster
marni1971 said:

You beat me to it! ;)

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
:lol:

Mousemerf - do you have any more details of this original version? My 2 Cronkite videos don`t show enough detail of the projections - only the space station. I confess I thought the astronauts and satellite were physical props, not projections. This is very interesting! Interestingly on one video there is a square white `window` in the gloom, with what looks like a sillouhette of a black haired girl in it - ring any bells?

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Original Poster
Where abouts in the "gloom?"

Black haired girl in lighted window reminds me of the Horizons SeaCastle girl.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
It would have been roughly just before the space station as you exit 180top, on the right hand side. Funnily enough, it looks similar to the Horizons girl - did I record a ghost??!! Or did the spacestation have a window (she looks like she is looking out and leaning on glass, possibly at the astronauts) Here is a cap from the video:

Attachments

• SSE 180top girl.jpg
    SSE 180top girl.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 37

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Original Poster
Probably has a window, the eeriness just being the camera picking up the light brightly in what is otherwise a very dark scene.

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Original Poster
Since i can't answer the question, i'll just throw random information at ya ;)

The Tomorrows Child ending corrido was done with tons of mirrors to make the cramped area look much bigger than it really was. Along with the colors and shapes it created the sense of a large open space when in reality (as we see in the current version) it is a very cramped and enclosed area.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
BTW - the Earth projection was of the full planet, not earthrise. Certainly in 1990 anyway, possibly it was changed since its opening. On the subject of the satellite, was it a projection?? You know more than me :lol:

I have just one picture of it, taken of the screen of a Worldkey terminal (remember them?)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom