Can they close Spaceship Earth?

monorail_driver

Disneyfan1981, I love the idea about "go[ing] nuts" with the Future piece, like adding the flying cars. I think they should make the city go further back and have a more complex version, such as the E.P.C.O.T. model shown in the TTA in Tomorrowland. I love the future city as it is now, but if they changed it into something like you were describing along with more of a miniature city, THAT WOULD BE AMAZING!!

Also, just a tip for all you SE go-ers: The line is the least crowded after around six, I think. I know that when I went, it was packed in the morning, but at the end of the day, there was little or no line (little being two or three minutes).

BRER STITCH

<----- Checking back to see what the original question was! :lol:

These things always seem to turn into an "Lovers VS. Haters" battle of opinions don't they?

But...to answer the original question: "Can they now close Spaceship and overhaul it? Can the ride be redone and closed for an extended period without Epcot falling apart?"

Yes. I agree that they can. In fact, now may be the BEST time to do it. With so much more going on in Epcot now (Test Track, Mission Space, Soarin') than there was just a few years ago, it would be easier to close it for rehab and still have plenty of reasons to go to Epcot.

PurpleDragon

imagineersrock said:
"here are some pretty colors to look at while you quickly descend backwards."

LOL!! Thats exactly how I think they meant it. They didn't have the budget to put anything of substance in there, so they just tossed some fiber optics in there and some flashy lights.

It kind of feels like the imagineers went full force thru the whole ride designing each scene in detail, making sure everyone was a superb depiction of that time period. Then they get to the very end and go "Meh......just toss some lights in there, it'll be okay" It just feels like they didn't even try, like they just got by with as little as they possibly could.

But all in all I agree with most people, the ride is a classic attraction that could never be removed. WDW just needs to spend some time and give it some TLC(new AAs, new track system, fresh coat of paint), and a little revamp of the ending(redo everything from the 2 "cool dude" kids on) and I think it would be perfect.

So yes I think they could close this attraction for a rehab without causing major issues with guest traffic.

prisoner

The future isn't what it used to be... and never was.

Disneyfan1981 said:
and then when you get to the Future piece really go nuts and have the imagineers do something with it, flying cars, jetpacks whatever just really go to town with.

The "problem", if there is one, with this idea is that this becomes the typical "what would the future be like" room. This is the kind of thing that they made fun of in Horizons! And with good reason - it ages poorly, is not really thought provoking, and ends up looking silly.

The future they currently project is certainly more tame - nothing they show isn't already being done on some level. It makes you think, but only a little.

The trick to predicting, or inventing, the future is to find something that is plausible, useful, and makes you think. Who would have imagined things such as the Internet, the Web, and cell phones and been able to portray them as realistic integrated parts of our lives? Well... people did. Thats what the Imagineers need to do with the closing scenes - find communications technology still in its VERY early stages and extrapolate how it will become part of our daily lives.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
imagineersrock-Finally said:
understand [/I] the "finale" of the ride. The entire climb is perfect, and I love the wonderfully detailed show scenes outlining the history of communication... that part is perfect. What i never quite felt fit in was the ending; we go from the begining of time, through present day... and then... we're in space! LoL, it just always kind of threw me off.. then we go through a tunnel of lights... then a quick glimpse here and there at "future methods of communication"

You have to remember there is not as much space on the descent as for the ascent. Once you have looped 180top (the planetarium, and looked at Spaceship Earth from another perspective) you start a downwards journey that spirals around the central core inside of the main show floors. Space is very limited - evident from the forced perspective dioramas. The future city of light is on the show floor where the track levels off only to continue its descent again - but this time inbetween the relativley level caveman and egyptian scenes which take up the bulk of the room. Finally you enter the support leg, where I`m surprised they even got fibre optics in!

WDW1971

Whatever they do, I just hope they don't close it until after this year. We're taking our kids for the first time this December (one will be almost 5 and the other almost 2) and I want to take them on SSE!

lamarvenoy

The ride itself is getting old and its movement is less fluid and more jerky. I don't like the entire ride but I don't trust the current regime to do a rehab since JII became such a waste of a ride and stitch isn't great either. I'm cautiously optimistic that Disney will improve the ride in the future but not until it is needed.

SpectroMan

imagineersrock said:
I suppose the space element puts the space in spaceship earth... but then again where did the spaceship theme ever come from for a ride concerning the history, evolution, and future of communication? Maybe a time machine would have been more appropiate? But honestly--- I'll be the first to admit "spaceship earth" is MUCH catchier than "time machine earth."

Let me quote the ride for why it is called Spaceship Earth: "Like a grand and miraculous spaceship our Earth as sailed through time..." No one on a spaceship is just a passenger; they all have jobs to do. We also all have jobs to do here on Earth. We must continue to create and be a part of great ways of communicating.

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Original Poster
A note about the Legacy Monument (aka: graveyard to most of us).

It was designed by the same architect/designer who created the look/structure of Spaceship Earth. It is, in his opinion, the proper compliment to the structure.

If you look at it from ariel shots it sorta looks like Spaceship Earth crash landed in Epcot, and from the ground, the monoliths are supposed to work as an artistic contrast, visual block (forcing you to observe the piece from several angles to really see the whole thing - a modern artistic idea, suggesting interaction with and speculation of the form).

So, as much as we may not "get it" we can't say it was lumped upon the building by someone with no clue - the building was his and he decided to screw with it.

goldenstate5

I hate people who keep going "they're keeping it because it's a classic"...

Wow...didn't you say that HORIZONS was a classic? How 'bout JOURNEY INTO IMAGINATION? Hmmm...the WORLD OF MOTION, perhaps? Howzabout KITCHEN KABARET? Let's see, the ORIGINAL UNIVERSE OF ENERGY? (actually, I never minded Ellen moving in) And, if the current times are correctly telling, what about WONDERS OF LIFE?

Face it, here's the dilemna: It's you vs. the general public.

Sorry, kids. These attractions are wonderful, but the general, thrill-seeking public says "Yawn! Gimmie something else Disney, because I'm leaving." Most people don't want to ride in omnimovers, sightseeing over a omnisphere screen, or careening through time, and looking at the past of transportation thru animatronic technology. And slowly doing it as well. They want to be thrust into high speeds, experience jolting moments and as well as laugh...not be inspired. Sorry...tourists are seemingly UNIMAGINATIVE and UNINTELLIGENT.

(Yes, I do realize that half of the attractions above have to do with their damn sponsors not realizing anything about classic attractions, they just saw their's as a "temporary company product placement", but hey, do THEY manage theme parks? But, the removal of the attraction for something new was fueled by the Eisner excuse of "people want something more exciting and less inspiring".)

When you see that Wonders of Life (which has to be on its last legs, I mean, come on, it's following in the footsteps of Horizons now...and the Land rehab, umm, yeah, it's over. WoL has about a year to live, I'd say [ahem! Tribute videos, start your taping please! :)) is about to close...hey, this IS the thrill ride addition and some more mainsteam and fun stuff, I mean, people don't exactly look bored in Body Wars, Cranium Command, and Making of Me, and the pavillion's bright and colorful. This brings to the second point: outdatedness.

When something is outdated, it's canned. Or people will start complaning about it being outdated. Now, HERE's when attraction replacement comes correctly into play. Come on, Epcot isn't a mueseum, yes it's sad, but didn't Walt Disney say that "Disneyland will never be complete as long as there's imagination left in the world?", same goes for Epcot. Trust me, if you feel bad for these attractions, just wait!

My example: Food Rocks. Replacing Kitchen Kabaret with something of this caliber seemed like torture. The first victim of the Epcot remodeling, this hit home hard. But, hey, look at earlier this year when Food Rocks CLOSED and you guys were boo-hooing about it...but, some people were celebrating...the revenge has gone.

So, yes! Even the new attractions that the old attractions are being replaced with are being tossed out the window eventually. It's a cycle that we all have to live with.

Back on topic, SSE might be safe...then again, with the topic of all the now extinct attractions...is any attraction safe?

(BTW- I really think Disney should open up an Extinct Attractions pavillion in Epcot, maybe just a small one, to appease all of the theme park fans, including the guys at D-Troops. Seeing has how old Epcot attractions will have a large influence, you can see old artifacts from old attractions (hmm, it's already happened, Pirates has WoM figures and the dragon from the attraction is also laying around DCA's Hollywood district!) and old animatronics (Dreamfinder, anyone?) put to good use...

imagineersrock

Thanks for that, SpectroMan. I knew of the quote you referenced, just couldn't remember it word for word- so thanks for having that handy. :wave:

Anyway, goldenstate5--- don't be so quick to judge the "general public." Though you may be correct that a lot of people enjoy their thrills, (myself being one of those people) a lot of those same people still enjoy Disney because it is, well, Disney.

Even the everyday thrill seekers enjoy an occasional dark ride and can appreciate the level of themeing and attention to detail that is put into rides such as SE or the GMR.

Again, I see where you are coming from... but all of the "thrill seekers" that I have gone to disney with, that LOVE the attractions such as ToT, RnRC, and M:S continue to pleasantly suprise me by both willingly riding and enjoying the slow dark rides such as SE and calling them a "Disney classic." :)

speck76

Although it is a taste preference, and we all have our own tastes.....I think many fans do not know the difference between "classic" and "old"

SSE, IMO, is classic.....that does not mean it can't be changed, but I would prefer it to stay in its current format, and just get updated.

WoL, IMO, is old....there is nothing classic about this pavilion, or its contents.

dismedic

speck I could not agree with you any more your points are well made about things that are old and things that are a "classic" times change and Disney must to, people want changes or like I have said before they will stop comming and go somewhere else to get thrills and spills .

I enjoy Disny have gone for 7 straight but in reality if nothing new is added I would stop going ,this year was good soarin was a great new addition as well as the rehab of the pavillion Sticth well just sucked but it was new at least somthing to try.

My point is you can not have the same ol same forever updates and rehabs are a must to keep the flow of people SSE needs a rehab not a huge change but a rehab along with a post area not just a gigantic walled off area that looks poor. Many other rides need the same retheaming. Nemo is great now the sea cabs need to return retheamed to match it, things like that that should happen.

I will say one thing NO MORE PIN STATIONS or MEET and GREETS there are enough already!!!

wannab@dis

speck76 said:
SSE, IMO, is classic.....that does not mean it can't be changed, but I would prefer it to stay in its current format, and just get updated.

WoL, IMO, is old....there is nothing classic about this pavilion, or its contents.

Gotta agree with you! SSE is a grand experience that I have never heard anyone say was boring. Heard a few complaints about the cars, sound and jerky track, but that's where a nice update comes into play.

As for WoL, a bulldozer seems to come to mind for some reason! There's a couple of things that I understand people like, but they just don't cut it to keep the entire pavilion operating.

DizWhizKid

I just started workin' at SSE a few weeks ago, and I gotta say, I hear "that was awesome" about four times as much as I hear "that was boring" by guests getting off. SSE is the most-ridden ride in all of WDW (our guest count on a typical, non-holiday day is over 16000, and that doesn't count guests who stay on for a second ride), why would Disney want to get rid of that?

lawyergirl77

DizWhizKid said:
I just started workin' at SSE a few weeks ago, and I gotta say, I hear "that was awesome" about four times as much as I hear "that was boring" by guests getting off. SSE is the most-ridden ride in all of WDW (our guest count on a typical, non-holiday day is over 16000, and that doesn't count guests who stay on for a second ride), why would Disney want to get rid of that?
That is sooooo good to hear!!!!! :sohappy:

When I rode it with my friends in May 2004 (all mid twentysomethings who were otherwise absolutely enamored with their WDW experience), the comments ranged from "My head hurts from all the banging" to "I guess it would be good as a makeout ride..." :rolleyes: They then mocked me for the fact that it was my favourite ride at Epcot. *sigh*

speck76

I feel sorry for people with hemorroids......that would really suck

regardless....a little padding would go a long way

General Grizz

goldenstate5 said:
I hate people who keep going "they're keeping it because it's a classic"......

Don't hate! :D

goldenstate5 said:
How 'bout JOURNEY INTO IMAGINATION?"

Nice example. They shouldn't have changed it.

Howzabout KITCHEN KABARET?

Sure beat out Food Rocks in the long run.

Sorry, kids. These attractions are wonderful, but the general, thrill-seeking public says "Yawn! Gimmie something else Disney, because I'm leaving." Most people don't want to ride in omnimovers, sightseeing over a omnisphere screen, or careening through time, and looking at the past of transportation thru animatronic technology.

Okay, okay, okay. Ask the average tourist what they want to see at a park, and of course they want to be entertained. But you also need to take into other points of consideration: what about the variety of audiences at the Disney parks?

- Families
- Seniors
- Children

I'm sure the average child would have multiple times the fun on "Horizons" or "Journey into Imagination" than they would have on "Mission Space." Same for seniors.

This isn't to say a theme park should be built entirely on "omnimovers, sightseeing over a omnisphere screen, or careening through time, and looking at the past of transportation thru animatronic technology." But the variety is necessary to maintain the fabric of a successful theme park, just as is the inclusion of brand new thrill rides, like Test Track.

Come on, Epcot isn't a mueseum, yes it's sad, but didn't Walt Disney say that "Disneyland will never be complete as long as there's imagination left in the world?", same goes for Epcot. Trust me, if you feel bad for these attractions, just wait!

Yep. But he also said, "Give the public all you have." (Consider seasonal closures, replacement of attractions like "Journey into Imagination). These were built partly on the excuse that "Epcot should always change."

. . . But it DIDN'T take into account the necessary quality standards that successful experiences need to survive.

I understand your viewpoints, many of which I strongly agree with. Epcot was created with too many rides of one type, and now attractions like "Mission Space" and "Test Track," which cater to an audience (that as any other has limits) are helping finalize that balance. But when attractions, such as those mentioned, do not include original elements or care to detail that could make them a heck of a lot better (see: Imagination, Disney Animation Tour), then fans will hold on tight to attractions like "Spaceship Earth," which are becoming more and more exclusive in their attention to detail. Hence, these fans (which should also be considered) will be less open to see the "final" immersive Epcot experience fall victim to the removal of detailed sets, Audio-Animatronics, etc. In short, it's a level of trust.

I don't think anyone is totally against change. It's all about a balance of new and quality - with care to all audiences - that will secure Disneyland's future under its new management, and I hope that magic may reach us here.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom