Can disney expand the Walt Disney World Monorial?

celticssuck

Original Poster
Do you think Disney can expand the Walt Disney World Monorail to all of the theme parks,water parks,hotels and the sports complex so guests can access it easier?

wolf359

It's only a question of money. Simply put, buses and boats are significantly cheaper than building monorail beams, and that is why there are no monorails circumnavigating the property already.

yensidtlaw

I don't know if they can.. but I think it is a brilliant idea> with the busses getting more and more crowded and becoming a large hastle, and with alternative transportation on the rise, it would show Disney's support for alternative fuel sources. I'm sure it would be quite a long project, so getting started on it earlier rather than later could be awfully benificial. It may seem a bit much at the moment, but one thing we know about Disney is that it's always growing, and in ten-twenty years I think the busses will no longer be enough to support and transport all the guests. The monorails are clean, reliable, and can transport large amounts of guests. The busses..... are pretty dirty, sometimes unreliable, and cannot transport large amount of guests.

Anything is possible, and I'm sure if they really wanted to "waste money" for free transportation, they really would have started adding beams to MGM and AK. I personally would love to see it happen, but knowing Disney and how they don't like to spend money on things that won't make money in return for them, this'll never happen :(

bgraham34

I doubt it will ever happen. I would love to see it but its not worth the money to just expand to the parks. Where the cost savings would come in would be a monorail from resort to park. But the cost of that would be , well really really expensive.

gotta tell ya

as someone who uses mass transit everyday to get wherever i need to go, i would freak out and give big cheers if they did expand it to all the parks.

I think that was the original idea, but it fell to the wayside.

One day all our dreams will come true. I firmly believe that, but coming true in our lifetime, I don't know.

Philo

Yep, they can do it but should they? I don't really think so.

I would much rather see the money go into developing attractions (or possibly a new park with the kind of cost we're talking about).

The current transport isn't amazing but it's certainly not bad either.

Gig 'Em Mickey

Can they? Yes.

Will they? Extremely unlikely, especially in this economy. If you want to wait around for them to expand the monorail you might want to pack a lunch.

epcotWSC

If they had the monorail going around to every resort and every park, I would think that it would take a long time to get around. However, if they could make it work, I think it'd be cheaper than having all of those busses running all the time and paying all of those bus drivers, gas, maintenance, etc. However at the same time, the initial cost for building the thing, buying any additional trains, etc would be VERY expensive.

hpyhnt 1000

If they had the monorail going around to every resort and every park, I would think that it would take a long time to get around. However, if they could make it work, I think it'd be cheaper than having all of those busses running all the time and paying all of those bus drivers, gas, maintenance, etc. However at the same time, the initial cost for building the thing, buying any additional trains, etc would be VERY expensive.

I've always thought that an ideal system would have the monorail connecting each of the theme parks in a sort of two way cirlce, one going clockwise, the other counter clockwise, with no more than a 3 minute wait or so bewteen trains. From each theme park station, buses would transport guests to the resorts that are closest to that theme park.

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy

As others have said, there are three questions....
can they - yes
will they - unlikely
should they - depends on what you use to support it.

As far as handling volumes of traffic, busses are more efficient and can carry more than the monorails, also you can throw more busses to a given area at a specific time...say MK just after Wishes. Can you imagine the bottleneck if monorail was the primary departure system? Actually monorail going to TTC where you would have to change, then possibly a second TTC and another change. Each would be built up with large volumes of tired cranky guests.

Probably the only alternate system that would be effective and able to move that number of people would be a park wide system of peoplemovers.

hpyhnt 1000

As others have said, there are three questions....
can they - yes
will they - unlikely
should they - depends on what you use to support it.

As far as handling volumes of traffic, busses are more efficient and can carry more than the monorails, also you can throw more busses to a given area at a specific time...say MK just after Wishes. Can you imagine the bottleneck if monorail was the primary departure system? Actually monorail going to TTC where you would have to change, then possibly a second TTC and another change. Each would be built up with large volumes of tired cranky guests.

Probably the only alternate system that would be effective and able to move that number of people would be a park wide system of peoplemovers.

That is the other option, and one that could be very effective, probably more so than the monorail (but probably even more expensive). A resort wide TTA on steroids would be awesome! :cool:

Uncle Lupe

All they need is a simple monorail loop from the TTC to Animal Kingdom then on to DHS and back to the TTC. To serve the rest of the remaining parks, shopping and hotels and massive spiderweb network of People Movers and Rocket Rods.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom