Can Anyone believe this?!

steveshady

Original Poster
okay, obviously I wasn't detailed enough as I thought, so here goes. I know that this woman wasn't a castmember because she had her husband and 3 kids following her. Before anyone asks, I know they were following her because she said "come on guys, let's just go to guest relations on the way out." And the gentleman told the 3 kids to follow mom. Then she went up to the Cecil and said "I'll take him to guest relations for you." Then Cecil let the kid go. Now I just want to say on my part, that I thought the woman's intentions were goodhearted. I just thought that there was an incredible amount of irresponsibility on the CM's part.

Scooter

Mgkcjohnson said:
Scooter... anyone who is employed by Disney, whether directly or indirectly, should be responsible for the welfare of this lost child. End of story. How can you say a perfect stranger is just as viable??? What were to happen if that photographer let a "perfect stranger" take that child and that "perfect stranger" kidnapped that child????? Granted a vast majority of people in the park would have simply helped that child get to guest relations, but I am sure there are people who might have taken off with the child.... Also if a stranger comes across a lost child, what would be the 1st thing that stranger does??? FIND A UNIFORMED EMPLOYEE to help. Anyone who works in the park should know what to do if a lost child needs help... end of story. You do not need special training on how to "deal with a lost child" Unreal.....

I find it kind of ironic that someone would rather leave their 2 year old in the hands of an untrained male Kodak employee than in the hands of a women, who probably has kids of her own who most likely has lifelong training of child handling. :lol:

That male Kodak employee could have just as easily kidnapped that child.
Let's just all agree here that pointing blame fingers doesn't solve the problem and we're all glad that that child is safe now. :sohappy:

Fran98765

steveshady said:
okay, obviously I wasn't detailed enough as I thought, so here goes. I know that this woman wasn't a castmember because she had her husband and 3 kids following her. Before anyone asks, I know they were following her because she said "come on guys, let's just go to guest relations on the way out." And the gentleman told the 3 kids to follow mom. Then she went up to the Cecil and said "I'll take him to guest relations for you." Then Cecil let the kid go. Now I just want to say on my part, that I thought the woman's intentions were goodhearted. I just thought that there was an incredible amount of irresponsibility on the CM's part.

Ok, that probably rules her out as being his wife, but she could be an off duty CM still. If I went there on my day off, I would certainly bring my family with me. Maybe they are friends and know each other. You really don't know the whole story. And again, if you thought this was so horrible, why didn't you step in and get a CM from GR yourself?

Mgkcjohnson

Scooter, I have to say you make no sense what so ever. First of all, what does being male or female have to do with anything in this situation?????? You mean to tell me, that you would rather some random woman pick up your lost child and do whatever rather than a uniformed employee?????? Why are so many people on here fixated with the notion that employees need to be trained on how to deal with kids?? That is the most idiotic thing I have heard in my life. If there is a crying lost kid, a uniformed employee should do everything and anything for this child. Under no circumstances should he/she let the child out of his site with a complete stranger!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I don't care of the employee was male and the stranger was a 80 year old grandmother. The point being that it is the employees responsibility to see that the child lands in the proper care of security or whatever, not a park guest. GRANTED, the woman was just trying to help, but how did Cecil know that?? He didn't. He seriously rolled the dice. I'm sorry, but I have no idea how you would want a park guest rather than a uniformed employee handle your lost child.. do you actually have any children????????

ScrapIron

speck76 said:
sure....these things happen, but why is it suddenly the park's responsibility to care for your kid?

Basic human decency?
Avoiding a public relations nightmare?
I'm sure there are others.

Anyone that thinks a kid can't slip away from a responsible parent in an instant should talk with my mom about my childhood.

Cheers

steveshady

Original Poster
well to be honest fran, and this may sound cruel and I don't mean it to sound that way, but I didn't feel it was my place. It wasn't my kid, but if I found out that a uniformed employer just handed off my kid to a random woman, employee or not, I would still be mad. I only put what happened up just to alert parents.

bucklmd

To sum it all up, "Caca happens." Some things you just can't and shouldn't blame anyone for. I don't have kids, but if I did, at some point they would probably get lost. Who here can't think of a time they got seperated from their parents? Sure, Disney or Kodak wants to help when the caca hits the fan, and they are responsible to a degree. Of course it isn't their fault the kid got lost, but if they are given the opportunity to intervene and choose to, then they become responsible at that point.

Just because it is Disney World or any other place that deals with the public doesn't mean there aren't a few bad seeds. Some people just aren't as helpful as others and it's probably safe to say if that's the kind of person that Cecil is, then he won't work for Kodak at WDW for very long. Does it make his actions right? No, but as said before, "caca happens." When I have kids, I'll do my best to keep up with them, and pray that if and when they get away from me, then they get returned to me safely. You've got to have some faith!!!!!

Shanice

Account Suspended
speck76 said:
The parent should have watched the kid.....the kid should not have become lost....

Lost children should not be Disney's problem.....if you bring a kid to the park, pay attention to them.
:rolleyes:

jozzmenia

DisneyFreak529 said:
Even if it was Kodak, it's a little wrong to just hand a child over to some one who you don't know or the child doesn't know. Any carring, smart person should know better. The kodak guy or what every he was should of stayed with the child till a Disney staff memeber could call or page the parents to that area.

He didn't want to be bothered with that. His mindset was "Pictures=$$$$. Time is Money. No time to worry about this kid."

speck76

ScrapIron said:
Basic human decency?
Avoiding a public relations nightmare?
I'm sure there are others.

Anyone that thinks a kid can't slip away from a responsible parent in an instant should talk with my mom about my childhood.

Cheers

There is a difference between helping out and taking responsibility.

It is sad how many parents want others to take responsibility for their kids.

barnum42

speck76 said:
This is true. From when I worked in retail I will always remember the mother of a brat saying to it "Don't do that or the man in the shop will tell you off". :rolleyes:

Aurora_25

I just have to throw my 2 cents in (not that it matters :) ) I have a 6 year old and a 1 year old and my daughter (the 6 year old) knows better than to wander away from me. Maybe I am a paranoid mom, but I am very careful about my kids and watch them like a hawk- my daughter has never wandered away from me (that story about how the police would take her away might have something to do with it :lol: j/k) She knows that something bad could happen if she wanders away and she normally holds my hand or holds the stroller that her baby brother is in. That way she is always near me. I understand that things happen and parents might take their eyes off the kids for a minute, but still, there are ways to keep track of your kids (keeping them in a stroller or with the leash- I have yet to use a leash on either of my kids, but I might have to someday)

I understand that the guy should not have handed him off to just any random person, but again, as it has been pointed out- he probably works for Kodak and not Disney so it isn't the same. That's just my opinion....

tigsmom

Scooter said:
I find it kind of ironic that someone would rather leave their 2 year old in the hands of an untrained male Kodak employee than in the hands of a women, who probably has kids of her own who most likely has lifelong training of child handling. :lol:

That male Kodak employee could have just as easily kidnapped that child.
Let's just all agree here that pointing blame fingers doesn't solve the problem and we're all glad that that child is safe now. :sohappy:

Please don't be fooled into thinking that a woman could not harm a child as easily as a man. They have in the past & will in the future.

jhastings74

I'm usually a fairly modest person, but I have no problem saying that I could certainly handle children of any age better than many mothers I've seen at Disney (or the mall, or anywhere else...) But remember, I am a father of 5....

(p.s. Well said, Tigsmom!)

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
General Grizz said:
Cast Members, by policy, should make sure the child calms down, and then he/she should proceed to contact the appropriate area where the child can wait for the parents if they cannot be found.
this is absolute common sense........ sad thing is, it is hardly ever used. :rolleyes:

Mgkcjohnson

speck76 said:
There is a difference between helping out and taking responsibility.

I never want nor expect anyone to take responsibility for my child. However, if I ever got seperated from my child, I would hope to god, she would encounter good people who would see to it that she was safe until I could find her again. What you are saying speck, is that if I was seperated from my child, to hell with me, it is my fault, and no one should do a thing to help because it would be my fault and I should suffer the consequences.... That is pathetic...

brich

speck76 said:
I'm sure there are many "careless" parents in the world. But the point is, beyond the careless parent is an innocent child. This 2 year old has no idea about what is happening other than he/she is seperated from their parent. We understand that parents should be responsible for their children but we have established the fact that the child has been seperated from the parent, regardless of the parent being responsible or not. We have a lost child. Do we just blame the parents and not care? Speck, I really don't think people are saying that the parents should not be held accountable for this child being lost. It is their fault, BUT, we now are faced with a uniformed employee on Disney property, whether paid by Disney or Kodak, who is the first ADULT to acknowledge the lost child. What the employee does at this point should be the issue :veryconfu . I believe the OP took issue of the employee's actions, not why or who lost the kid in the first place. :)

Aurora_25

speck76 said:

I hold you personally responsible for anything bad or wrong that my children do for the rest of their lives :lol: :lol:
Seriously though, I have met parents that do feel it is the responsibility of others to take care of their children- I worked in retail and can't tell you the countless times a parent just leaves their child somewhere (on purpose mind you...) and then got mad at me for not watching their child.....Umm, I'm not paid to babysit your child- sorry. On the other hand- if a child is lost, I was one of the first people to help that child find their parent.

captcanada

M:SpilotISTC12 said:
I cant believe that. That is so not right. Disney should be known to help little kids and not to send them off with strangers.

Disney usually does(help). I know first hand.

Me and my girlfriend were at Animal kingdom, crossing a bridge (to or from Asia I believe). There, we stmble upon a little child, around 3 or 4 years of age. The child was standing still, crying up a storm. It was heart breaking. So....as everyone else walked around the child trying to ignore him, my girlfriend and I walk up to him and asked "What's wrong?". He said through tears...."mommy".
We looked around for his mommy briefly and then asked him "you lost your mommy?"
He nodded (tears slowly stopping). So, we tried to calm the child further, my GF had a little stuffed toy she bought and let him play with it (my pal mickey. Ok, I bought it..but still ;) ), and she stood with him while I went looking for a hysterical woman (I assumed the mom would be in a panic too, just like the child). After a bit, I couldn't find a potential mom. So....I walked to a cast member and told her my story. She was VERY attentive and was excellent help. She Grabbed her walkie-talkie and put the word out to all cast members, and VERY quickly, a voice came back saying the think they found the mother. So, the cast member said where we were, and thanked us.

With our job done, and the child safe with a CM, and the mother on her way, we continued our trip to the rapids, content that CM's did care and that there would be a happy ending.

Moral of the Storey....the CM's did care. Very much. And did an excellent job finding the childs mother and a VERY timely fashion. I was quite impressed.
(And relieved at the happy ending :) )

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom