Camcorders at WDW

Japhy

Original Poster
We're going to be at WDW next week and we're debating whether bringing a camcorder is worth it.

For those of you that have brought them with you, did you find it worth it? Did you use it enough to justify carrying it around with you? Do you rent lockers to store it prior to water rides?

moulds

I didn't take mine with me in may but I know its worth it especially during Fantasmic. We taped it during we were in Disney Land in December.

SIR90210

It's certainly worth it, especially if you have young children who will be going with you to character breakfasts. As for the water rides, I've actually taped Splash Mountain, and the camera still functions properly more than a year later. Hope your trip is good!

CSUFSteve

Well, I assume my goals are different than yours. My purpose is always video documentation so, yeah, it's worth it :)

The lockers can be problematic if you have tripod. The new lockers at MK don't fit it. Neither does AK. I can't remember MGM anymore since I don't do much video there anymore. Epcot is the only one that comfortably fits my tripod.

Other than that, for a while, videotaping ruled my agenda. Then I started getting annoyed that I felt like the camera was going on vacation and I was its babysitter. So I started making a shoot schedule with one particular shoot goal for the day/days I was taping. Anything else was bonus. Otherwise, especially at WDW, it's just too overwhelming and ultimately frustrating.

trr313

I think it is worth it, especially as someone else mentioned if you have children. I took mine and while I didn't video tape a lot I did some of the character dinners and in front of the castle and the parade. I want them when they are older to be able to look back at how Disney World was then, well the MK anyways.

ilovepluto23

I would die if we didn't bring ours when we go! I LOVE watching our old trips to WDW! It's really great to watch old trips before you go on a new trip too...gets you in the mood :) and makes you even MORE excited to be going. Also, you can catch some really hilarious things...like stupid or strange things people said around you that you didn't catch the first time!

dixiegirl

I would definatly bring one..we didn't have one when we went for our honeymoon ten years ago...and I kick myself just beacuse I love to see how things were even just ten years ago at disneyworld....I love looking back , as someone had already mentioned and seeing things we did....and also looking how things were.....yeah you do have regular pics , but to see it live on video..or dvd...its nice..

89 more days!!!!

DisneyDellsDude

CSUFSteve said:
Well, I assume my goals are different than yours. My purpose is always video documentation so, yeah, it's worth it :)
That's what I like to do! It is WAY worth it because we only get to go once every two years. (We live in Wisconsin.)

It is also better than just watching videos other people tapped on the internet because you get to make memories as you tape the stuff.

Also, we just have a sony handheld camera, so we can just carry it everywhere with us.

Hope this helps.:wave:

Nemo14

We love to watch the old videos of our past trips. We don't use the camcorder as much now, but I do shoot some video from my digital camera.

WEDisney

Bring it for sure. Better to have and not need then need and not have. I use mine for documentation and family fun. I can not tell you how many people watch my videos in awe of the past "extinct" attractions. My first time bringing one was in the early 80s and it actually connected to a "portable" VCR. I was young but I was in control of the video for the most part and just seeing old tomorrowland, EPCOT and its attractions alive again give real Disney Fans chills. Now that my miniDV is about the size of a wallet I bring it with me everywhere. I even made a few "Walking the park" videos where it is at eye level following my line of sight. Before every trip I watch on of these and the feeling is amazing :).

Craig & Lisa

I've had a cam of one kind or another since 1999, and in all I've got 10 different trips. I watch them when ever I feel down or I miss WDW and then to see how much the boys have grown, changed, as well as seeing my late Mother-in-law, my wife has a real hard time when we watch that one but it lets her feel like Mom is still around. Because she really liked the rose gardens in EPCOT, she wanted to just sit and look at them. We even sprinkled some of her ashes in there, no one saw, :lookaroun. So now my wife feels she will always be there with us when we go. I guess what I'm trying to say is as long as it's not a huge unit, you'll kick yourself for not having a memory like that one on tape because you might think it is a hassle to carry it around. To tell the truth it is, but I wouldn't miss anything I've got on tape for the world, it's worth it.

Japhy

Original Poster
Everyone makes great points and with today's cameras, it makes perfect sense. Besides, gives me an excuse to follow through on the purchase of a new camera I've been thinking about now for a few months. :p

Thanks!!

CThaddeus

My video camera would never go to Disney World without me, and vice versa. Sometimes I will go to Disneyland without it, but that's probably because I can go there once a week, as opposed to once every 2-4 years. Like many others, my reasons for taking the camera are for reminding me what I did on a given day (as my mind tends to get fuzzy after awhile), providing me memories of myself having fun as a younger person, and most importantly, to document Disney's attractions. I'm sure they do it for themselves, but I've yet to see an official EPCOT in the '80s DVD featuring perfect audio and video of the attractions. So I do what I can in the meantime to keep Horizons, the original Journey Into Imagination, Food Rocks!, Dreamflight, and the rest alive. Man, I love technology!

bayoutinkbelle

I brought one on my recent trip and I'm so glad I did. I used a backpack to carry everything around with when I wasn't using them (camcorder, camera, phone, etc.). No tripod, so holding that sucker to record the shows was killer!

CSUFSteve

ScrapIron said:
The only point of concern in Splash is the big drop, and shoving the camera in a baggie at the last minute solves it.

Also solved by purchasing a rain jacket from B&H (or elsewhere). If it's an attraction I care about, I generally do a left side taping, right side taping, forward taping, and zoom shots taping, minimum. For Splash, I also did a ride through with the rain jacket on so I could get every drop in their entirety.

And someone else commented that they've been shooting video since '98. I *so* wish I had had one before then. To have SSE with Cronkite's voice from my 1st trip in '89 would be so awesome. And MGM back when there were more than just 3 attractions worth seeing - back before the Sorcerer's Hat and when they still did Sorcerey in the Sky with Vincent Price.

My earliest WDW taping go back to 2001 so I do have Legend of the Lion King, Wonder of Life, old China film. I think I do have an MGM tram ride when Residential St was still there too. And other stuff too. For DL, I do back to '98 for the real Lincoln & Bear Band... later DCA's grand opening. For Tokyo I have Meet the World & Cinderella Castle Mystery Tour before they ripped them out, Mickey Mouse Revue, DisneySea's grand opening, and others of course. For Paris... 21 hours of footage, some from '92's grand opening and the only actual video I have of the Timekeeper film as well Phantom Manor with Vincent Price!!

The point of my own little out-loud trip down memory lane is to show how much YOU'LL treasure the footage YOU'VE built up. It's amazing how you'll look back and see how things have changed and some of it you'll have forgotten about or didn't realize. In Paris, for example, to see how the trees and landscaping have grown since opening day to today. It will seriously mean so much to you for years to come!

Dr.Seeker

I always take my camera, for water rides I just stash it under the poncho. Then again there's always the responsibility of 'having to film everything' which can be distracting.

Nansafan

We always take the camera and share the filming responsibilities. With the video editing software my brother uses, we have credits, awesome fades in and out, floating titles, wouldn't be vacation without a video camera. Just looking at the differences as the kids get holder is fun.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom