Camcorders at WDW

ilovepluto23

I love to bring our video camera mainly b/c we have fun watching it afterwards, and before upcoming trips to the world. You can always rent a locker and store it in there if it gets too bulky to carry.

KnK

Our decision last year to buy a new one, was all about WDW. We wanted something smaller. And the whole time we we're in the store we keep saying how great it would be at the parks.

I am one of those avid watchers as well. Best stuff to iron to!

DisneyBride94

Absolutely! The videos we have over the years are priceless... my kids still ask to watch them nearly every day... it's helped them "remember" there trips... and it's a hoot for all of us to see them grow from babyhood to toddlers, preschoolers and now school aged children....

DH bought a large waterpoof pack to stash his video camera in for touring... he'll put it in there for water rides, too, yes... Though we do have some funny videos of ourselves on Splash Mountain...with my mascara running down my face. LOL. The soundtrack is even funnier--he's trying to scoot onto my side of the log after the final plunge...becaues the water level is high and sloughing over his side of the boat... and there's a waterfall spilling water up ahead....and it looks like we are going to get stopped right next to it.... he's being all wussy about getting wet--priceless.. :)

I think the video camera is worth the trouble...

cmatt

We're going to be at WDW next week and we're debating whether bringing a camcorder is worth it.

For those of you that have brought them with you, did you find it worth it? Did you use it enough to justify carrying it around with you? Do you rent lockers to store it prior to water rides?

i personally hate taking my camcorder - mrs cmatt loves it however! if i didnt have to edit the footage in sony vegas then burn it to dvd im sure id find it more fun! :lol:

phillyfan77

I just bought the new Sony Handicam.... it's so awesome.. records the video right on to the DVD... and then puts the pics i take on a memory card...

We just got the same camcorder recently :wave: ... and I love it! :D And it only weighs one pound! (My wife "let" me buy it just for our upcoming trip, mostly because the camcorder has "nightvision" taping... it should be interesting!)

My "job" during our vacations is official photographer. I record everything that I can... waiting at the airport, take-off and landing, at the resort, walking into the parks, and all the rides, shows, and parades. I've been taping since our first trip in 1994, and it is fun to look back and relive the memories, especially with another trip coming next month. I then take all the video and put it on one tape / disc for the family to watch. My favorite segments are the Hoop-Dee-Doo dinnershow and the Spectromagic parade. And the original "Figment Ride".

So, by all means, take the camcorder!

Two quick tips: try to shoot with the sun to your back, and make sure your lens is clean or it will really show up when you're in the sunlight.

Craig & Lisa

The family and I Have been going to WDW since 1997, and I kick myself because I didn't bring our camera for the first 2 years. To see how much our sons have changed over the years, as well as WDW. Documentation is good because it's unintentionally part of our videos, you just need to look in the background what we are doing , the fact that certain attractions are not there anymore, or have changed somewhat. And in the long run if you are going thru Disney withdrawals you just pop, ( no pun intended ) one of the tapes in the VCR and relive the adventures, good times...etc. 8 days and counting....... can't wait, can't wait :sohappy: :sohappy:

cmatt

We just got the same camcorder recently :wave: ... and I love it! :D And it only weighs one pound! (My wife "let" me buy it just for our upcoming trip, mostly because the camcorder has "nightvision" taping... it should be interesting!)

My "job" during our vacations is official photographer. I record everything that I can... waiting at the airport, take-off and landing, at the resort, walking into the parks, and all the rides, shows, and parades. I've been taping since our first trip in 1994, and it is fun to look back and relive the memories, especially with another trip coming next month. I then take all the video and put it on one tape / disc for the family to watch. My favorite segments are the Hoop-Dee-Doo dinnershow and the Spectromagic parade. And the original "Figment Ride".

So, by all means, take the camcorder!

Two quick tips: try to shoot with the sun to your back, and make sure your lens is clean or it will really show up when you're in the sunlight.

I was going to get one of those but i went for a mini dv instead... I have used these in the IT department i used to work in.... have they improved the recording times per mini dvd? :)

monorailguy01

Ive been going to Disney for a sometime now and I always bring my camcorder, There is always something that I didnt film from a last tirp weather its a ride or a show or even just different parts of the world. I think it is a must have. I have a sony handycam(rather small) it is very very good to keep around i can fit it in my pocket or carry in in the case. So I would say bring it... it is a must. Im sure there is a lot of people on here who can relate to this, when you leave WDW and you get "worldsick" pop in the Home videos you made and watch them, bring back memories and things like that...

Have a great time :wave:

phillyfan77

I was going to get one of those but i went for a mini dv instead... I have used these in the IT department i used to work in.... have they improved the recording times per mini dvd? :)

It's not too bad... 30 minutes in SP and 60 minutes in LP.
I like that they never deteriorate. I've had some of my old VHS-C tapes from my old camcorder get eaten by the VCR adapter, including a cool scene at Seaworld where a guy taping Shamu upclose didn't see the wave coming behind the whale after he swam by.... classic! :lol:

cmatt

It's not too bad... 30 minutes in SP and 60 minutes in LP.
I like that they never deteriorate. I've had some of my old VHS-C tapes from my old camcorder get eaten by the VCR adapter, including a cool scene at Seaworld where a guy taping Shamu upclose didn't see the wave coming behind the whale after he swam by.... classic! :lol:

see i like to transfer everything to dvd anyway - as i record over the tapes (not to mention i have a digital backup kept on the pc) so i couldnt really justify the price of the sony dvd camcorders at the time. My jvc is a godsend when i connect it to firewire - and i can control it from the pc anyway which makes it even better :sohappy: *nods* ill stick with what ive got! im an I.T nerd i HAVE to do things totally cackhanded! :lol:

barkatozz

I just bought a new Sony MiniDv for my trip in November. My old digital8 would have been a bit bulky & heavy for carrying around for 8+hours but the new one is so light it won't bother me to carry it. I plan on using it for a documentation of my trip for a visual look @ the places I visited & rides/attractions I experienced.

MaccaRules

I think I'm the nut in this bunch

I just picked up a helmet cam that connects to my camcorder.

I won't be wearing a helment, just maybe attaching it to the bill of my hat when we are on some rides, and if I can do it without embarrassing my family, while walking down Main Street. This way I can enjoy it and video tape without having to look through a viewfinder or looking down at the LCD. I tested it out and I was amazed how smooth the video was compared to handheld videoing. And as an added bonus, I can film the faster rides as well as the wet rides without having to worry about frying my camera.

I am almost finished converting a couple of my trips to DVD. I was floored when I found out that I had videoed Mr. Toads and If You Had Wings. I still got to get some of my dads videos for some extinct attractions that he has.

But seeing my younger siblings at that age is really cool.

Captain Chaos

I just picked up a helmet cam that connects to my camcorder.

I won't be wearing a helment, just maybe attaching it to the bill of my hat when we are on some rides, and if I can do it without embarrassing my family, while walking down Main Street. This way I can enjoy it and video tape without having to look through a viewfinder or looking down at the LCD. I tested it out and I was amazed how smooth the video was compared to handheld videoing. And as an added bonus, I can film the faster rides as well as the wet rides without having to worry about frying my camera.

I am almost finished converting a couple of my trips to DVD. I was floored when I found out that I had videoed Mr. Toads and If You Had Wings. I still got to get some of my dads videos for some extinct attractions that he has.

But seeing my younger siblings at that age is really cool.

Wayne Salinski???????? I knew Disney was on to something LOL...

JimboJones123

Guess I'm the only Debbie Downer of the group. Law of Diminishing returns. We actually bought a camera during a trip. Used it for a day and a half. Then for some reason the battery wouldn't recharge. So we ended up returning it when we got home. We decided that it really wasn't worth the day.5 that we gave up to record, and that the kids already have the Travel Channel shows and Sing-a-longs. How much more Disney World videos do they need. They already get tired of those when we are warming up for a trip. So we never bought one again. It just seems that if you just watched an entire trip to WDW, why would you bother to go? Don't flame, just my opinion. We take HUNDREDS of pix. Same trip, we shot 14 rolls. But to video the trip just doesn't seem worth it. Don't flame, just my opinion.

animay

Aw man, this thread is really making me want to buy a camcorder. I have some really nice videos from my parents' camcorder I took when I was younger, but I haven't had one for about 10 years. It would be great to make some new videos.

Do what I did buy a camcorder off some sap on ebay thats broken and cheap and then check with the manufacturer and see if its still in warrenty. Heck I got the serial number from the guy before I bought it and found out that it was still in warrenty, got the camcorder for 15 bucks and then paid 30 bucks for the one time labor fee that samsung had and then 5 bucks shipping with UPS and got a brandnew duo cam camcorder worth 500 bucks back about a week and a half later and it works freaking great. Ive used it for AK, MK and then created DVDs with my editing software and my girlfriend loves them. I cant wait to take it next spring when we get engaged Im going to have so much fun.

the camcorder issue is a little funny. with little ones its practically a must. i get a kick outof watching the old vhs tapes of mine and my siblings' first trip to the world. we've brought our video camera with us every trip and every trip tape seems to get shorter and shorter. we were also noticing that we filming more and more shows and rides. but do we ever watch the shows? no because it sucks watching them on tv, they are only good if you are there (IMO). when we were in junior high and high school, we dont really care about watching ourselves at the parks cause we arent cute then anymore. we say we will watch them and we may one day when we are old or show them to our kids someday but for now, all those little mini tapes are just sitting in a shoe box somewhere in our house. would we ever go without a camera? no. we always bring it and film stuff cause if we didnt we would feel like we would regret it later. its not that much of a hassle. plus i mean, thats why we bought the darn thing, we might as well use it, right?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom