Camcorders at WDW

The only water ride problem we have had was with Kali. We thought we had our camcorder well protected, and put it in the center storage compartment. When we got off the ride, we poured at least 1/2 a cup of water out of the camcorder!:fork: :fork: :fork: This cooked one of the circuit boards, which needed to be replaced when we got home($150), and it happend on our first full day at WDW. We only have 2 minutes of video from that trip.:cry:

CaliSurfer182

I always bring my camcorder with me on a WDW or DL trip. Like a previous poster said it's better to have and not need, then to not have and really need.

Kadee

We've only taken the camcorder once because it was sort of bulky. It is a small one by 2000 standards, but huge by today's standards. We are buying a new one for our trip next month. I LOVE the one video we have from our trip in 2000, but I really wish I had video from all the trips. We enjoy watching the video (all 6 hours worth!!!:eek: ).

browniebee

My dad brings his video camera to Disney every time. I love to watch the videos so it's definitely worth it with my family. I'm generally more inclined to watch my videos of Disney than look at my pictures. My dad brings the camcorder on most rides and even recorded all of Splash Mountain once. He lets my mom hold it (she doesn't go on a lot of the rides) for when we go on BTM, Test Track, and ToT. I don't bring my video camera because it's too big and doesn't work so well anymore, but my dad's camera is small enough to transport and never really a pain. The only problem we have with it is it takes pictures too, but he never tells us if he's taking video or a still picture :hammer: so our videos are generally of us just like standing and smiling. lol :)

After my first WDW visit in 1973, I just *had* to get my hands on a video camera as soon as procuring one became a viable option - that was 1986 - and I've been videotaping madly ever since. (Truth be told though that earliest attempt at taping anything turned out pretty much dreadful due to my zeal in all but whipping the camera around while filming. Subsequent tapings in the years ahead became a vast improvement) Although there were times lugging the thing around was a bit of a pain - especially considering the size of those early over-the-shoulder models - I've always thanked my lucky stars I was able to get attractions like MK's original Tiki Room, Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, the Skyway, Dreamflight, and Epcot's Kitchen Kabaret, World of Motion, Horizons, original JII, etc. on tape before their subsequent demise and can now revisit them at any time...

mrerk

Premium Member
Video Editing Software

Since we are kinda on the subject, what video editing software would you recommend? TIA

Dukeblue1016

Windows Movie Maker... thats what I use...

but I would definitely bring a camcorder, I bought a small one, a samsung SCD103 for my trip two summers ago... i used it A TON... and it fit right in my girlfriend's purse... but then I brought it last summer and didn't end up using it at all...

lilphil6487

definately bring it. im going there in a month and ive been watching all our old video tapes my dad took and it gets me excited plus i liek seeing all these memories. I just bought a new JVC Everio. Its a compact camcorder with a 20gb hard drive so theres no tapes or dvds and i love it. I bought it with intentions of using it at disney and when i go to hershey park and a cruise (wish it was a disney cruise. disney was the best ive ever been on) over the summer. The only thing tho is that the low light level isnt that great but then again im not a pro videographer so i can live with it. def bring ur camera

ZapperZ

Japhy said:
We're going to be at WDW next week and we're debating whether bringing a camcorder is worth it.

For those of you that have brought them with you, did you find it worth it? Did you use it enough to justify carrying it around with you? Do you rent lockers to store it prior to water rides?

Obviously, considering that I have all these videos listed in my signature, I do bring my camcorder along. They have given me some of my best memories of the fun times we've had at WDW. So I would definitely recommend bringing one.

It would help if you have another adult that can also use the camcorder. This way, it would allow you to not get tired with it by taking turns on who uses the camcorder. Not to mention, you'll be in some shots too rather than be the missing parent/adult in all your videos.

Zz.

Fievel

RunDisney Addict
I bring my camcorder along every other trip. I used to bring it along every trip, but then I found myself doing more recording of everything, which takes away from the initial enjoyment of some of the stuff.

However, this October is my daughter's first trip, so I have a brand new video camera that is a lot smaller and easier to use so that I can record like crazy.

KICKYPANTS

Everyone makes great points and with today's cameras, it makes perfect sense. Besides, gives me an excuse to follow through on the purchase of a new camera I've been thinking about now for a few months. :p

Thanks!!

Yes, yes yes...bring the camcorder. I always make sure to put it into a ziplock bag when things may get a little damp.

MagicPorcupine

I always take my camcorder. It's a small Panasonic DV camera, and I generally shoot about 20 hours or so of video which I then edit down to about 2 hours when I get home using Pinnacle Studio, adding background music. My 2 girls love to act as "presenters" and love to be filmed in situ describing their opinions and thoughts about their adventures. Love her or hate her, they love to emulate "Stacey", the hyperactive girl who introduces the "9 best Disney Attractions" show on the resort TV channel!
Being from the UK, it's a novelty to be allowed to film things like the shows (as long as you don't use extra video lighting). In England you are never allowed to film any live entertainment. Our home made Disney vacation videos are a brilliant way of re-living old memories, especially in the long cold winter months!

jg.s

We have video dating back to october 1988 during mickeys 60th birthday celebrations, when i was 2! its great to see how different WDW is now. Have video for every year up until 2005. Not bad considering im from the UK. going back this october to film more.

I find the best video editing software to be Apple's iMovie and iDVD, on my apple powerbook.

minnie2000

I would definately take one, especially if you have children. If you have a few days in one park, you could leave it in the safe in the room sometimes.

We find that when we watch it back, we tend to fast forward through the shows, and will not tape any shows or fireworks in the future, its just not the same unless its live. (Also quite boring if friends and family watch!) W e would rather watch the children, scenery, meets with characters etc.

Also, don't let the camcorder take over, and think that you have to film everything - you don't! Enjoy yourself, and just get the camcorder out now and then.

MagicPorcupine

I agree that you can't really capture the atmosphere of the shows or fireworks with video. I usually video the whole thing, but then produce "edited highlights" at home afterwards, cutting a 20 minute show down to something like 2 or 3 minutes. If you use dissolves as transitions then the results can be pretty smooth and not jumpy at all.

dolbyman

full atraction shots are also nice ... just imagine nobody filmed horizons or WOM .. how should marni build his tributes :)

majortom1981

Hmm

If you don't want to bring a cam corder you can always take a digital cemra that takes video.

I am bringing My digital camera in 2 weeks because if i get a big sd card i can take 1 hour of video also.

No need for a video camera.

We're going to be at WDW next week and we're debating whether bringing a camcorder is worth it.

For those of you that have brought them with you, did you find it worth it? Did you use it enough to justify carrying it around with you? Do you rent lockers to store it prior to water rides?

Last December was my fourth trip, and the first with a camcorder.

And to answer your question - it most definately was worth it!

I took about 20 hours of footage, but I used to walk around filming everything! One day, I even filmed through the window on our journey back from Magic Kingdom to the All Star Movies :lol: .

What's so great about a camcorder though is that footage is so fantastic to watch when you get home, and it helps you remember things you might have otherwise forgotten.

As it was cold-ish, we didn't do any water rides, so the issue of storage never came up.

It's great to watch the footage at home in order. It really helps relive it, and has made me shed many a tear, I can tell you. Happy tears though!

Lara

slappy magoo

If you bring a video camera, just know when to use it, and when to put the camera down and actually enjoy the experience yourself.

And definitely edit. The one time I brought a camera, there was a day when my fiancee and I were not getting along at all, and it's great to bypass the bad times and get to the good stuff.

figment1985

I just bought the new Sony Handicam.... it's so awesome.. records the video right on to the DVD... and then puts the pics i take on a memory card...

But yes, it's a MUST bring- especially when you have children.

I just watched a video of me in 1991 at Disney world, and I LOVE these old disney recordings.. it's so great to see how things have changed or not.

I cherish the videos my family took of us -especially since times aren't the same anymore :(

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom