Rumor Bye Bye (Tiki) Birdies?

Nemo14

Maybe simply update the show to where the birds Tweet rather than tweet.
CVdS0T7WoAAAiYL.jpg

Kim W

Well I was having a good weekend...:cry:

I call dibs on all the tiki birds, that way I can just reconstruct the entire show in my bedroom.

But in all seriousness if someone wants to start a petition to save the Tiki birds, I'll sign. Maybe if enough of a fuss is made, the head honchos might reconsider (at least that's the thought I'll console myself with tonight).

Otterhead

I can't see this happening. The Tiki Room is too iconic to close again, so soon after re-opening. It still pulls in very good crowds and is one of their signature attractions. I can see them updating it -- possibly making it a dinner show, as it was originally intended -- but closing entirely? I doubt it.

FigmentJedi

They wouldn't actually put Stitch in, would they? Did they not learn from the decade of torture we lived with over in Tomorrowland that these crap Stitch rides do not work?

I'd rather they just take out the entire attraction than live with this.

Hopefully this attraction starts on fire too...
I feel like Stitch should have some sort of representation in Walt Disney World because he's an animated character actually native to the resort. The movie was one of the three films produced entirely at the closed Florida Animation Studio that they turned into a Star Wars gift shop, and I'd say it was the best of that trio.

The problem has always been about the execution. Stitch's Great Escape isn't terrible just because it replaced Alien Encounter, but because the infrastructure it recycled is inherently terrifying to the small children that they wrote that dumbed down script for, resulting in something with amazing animatronic tech that pleases absolutely no-one.

Of course if you're so adamant about keeping a gimped Tiki Room, the dumbass executives could always have Stitch join the Cartoonification of World Showcase now that he has that show in China that has an English version waiting to air internationally....

_mickey_

This rumor better not be true!

If they axe the tiki birds, I'm likely to snap one of my visits and cause a scene (i.e. plunking down in front of the former tiki room and rocking back and forth with tears in my eyes, repeatedly saying "Jose is only taking a siesta, he'll be back soon!").

jt04

You have a poor sense of what is near or maybe your lack of familiarity is showing again.

Try seeing the situation in person and maybe you won't be making these gaffes. Well, given the track record you probably will...

I am of the opinion the entirety of the MK that is still in the seventies is slowly being brought into this century. Reimagining AL and FL has been a percolating rumor for sometime now. TL is essentially confirmed. They would go faster but they need to draw the crowds to the other parks first. Also a work in progress.

FoodRockz

How upsetting! I try to wear my Tiki Room shirt every time I'm in the MK, and I have noticed that no cast member has ever even cracked a smile in regards to it. I must be the only person on earth who cared enough to get the shirt.

Having been on DL's version, it is nice to see the whole show as it was meant to be seen every once in a while.

Kman101

I mean, they could ultimately scrap the idea, but WDW1974 isn't often wrong and while it's again perceived as just about being negative (it's really not) he wouldn't necessarily post something that didn't have some validity to it. And Magic Feather has sort of backed it up ... unfortunately but here we are.

People need to understand that management and those in charge just don't care. It's sad but it's the truth. Some might, sure, but overall ... look at how the place has been run for the last decade or two. I still go and enjoy a lot of things, it's not awful, I had a great time a few weeks ago, but the truth is it's run very differently these days. They only care about nostalgia if they can make a buck off of it. Sorry if some perceive that as negative but I'm a pretty in the middle person and even I know what type of management we have.

rocketraccoon

EVERY TIME Disney World has a big announcement negativity will show up here. You can set your watch by it.

Ehh, there's very legitimate reasons to be negative towards something like this or to be negative towards the company. It's just with any rumor/announcement you get extremes from "disney world is horrible" to "they should level the entire park" that muddle the thread.

The remains of the Tropical Serenade aka The Enchanted Tiki Room (aka a Top 10 Fanboi nostalgia lovefest) looks like it is about to fly the coop for good.

According to multiple sources, the attraction, which saw a reprieve a few years ago when it went back to a shortened version of the original 1971 show from the poorly received Under New Management update following a fire that damaged the facility, is on the chopping block and very, very likely to leave.

At this point, I will only call this a rumor (but the gondola system is a rumor and happening, the Rat ride at EPCOT is only a rumor and is happening, the Speedway removal is a rumor and is happening, the new DVC at CBR is a rumor and is happening and the Star Wars themed BOUTIQUE resort experience is a rumor and is most definitely happening).

As to what will replace it, that is unclear at present and one source even suggests it could remain with a new Stitch overlay reusing the pricey AA just like TDL has, but I don't see that.

And with other plans for Adventureland percolating, and Disney having no care for its past beyond shilling merchandise and D23 events and the like, I would expect Jose and Fritz and Company to fly away for good in the near future.

Casper Gutman

EVERY TIME Disney World has a big announcement negativity will show up here. You can set your watch by it.

There is a simple reason for this.

A vast majority of big WDW announcements since the opening of AK have been negative. Even the positive ones, like Pandora, come with sizable caveats.

I always wonder - if you knew and loved WDW in the 80s or early (or even late) 90s, how can you look at what it's become and not be angered?

zooey

Ehh, there's very legitimate reasons to be negative towards something like this or to be negative towards the company. It's just with any rumor/announcement you get extremes from "disney world is horrible" to "they should level the entire park" that muddle the thread.

I've been here quite a while and people have been saying the same negative sky is falling rhetoric for over half a decade, that I've personally witnessed, anyway. Anecdotal evidence only, but I've seen many people at work and other friends "find" Disney and WDW in particular in that time. Many people. Many families. I encounter far more love from new adopters than anything.
It's important to remember that new people are going to the parks and loving the parks as they are right now. If you or I don't love the parks as they are now, then we may have to just realize they aren't for us any longer.
I think the real hurt, if you want to call it that, for this scenario is that people hope Disney would fail should the company betray what an OG fan thinks is valuable, but Disney is not failing at all, and they create new fans each and every day.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Tokyo's Stitch show is actually more tasteful then New Management. Unlike Iago showing up to yell about how lame the show is only to loudly pitch much lamer ideas for how to "fix it", the Stitch show is structured as more of an average day at the Tiki Room with Stitch kinda lurking in corners and making small mischief before emerging from the Enchanted Fountain for a ukelele jam session at the end.

The only negative is that the actual Tiki Room song doesn't appear in the Stitch version, in favor of the theme song for the animated Lilo and Stitch show, but since that's well over a decade in the past, I could see a localization restoring it (though re-recorded obviously) in an attempt to get fans to put down the pitchforks just a teensy bit.

It's lame, but honestly, the "restored" version at WDW is super neutered anyways considering how much they chainsawed out of it to save money on not having to reinstall the fountain. If any version must stay pure, it's the original Disneyland incarnation.

Agreed, the Tokyo Stitch show is actually not bad at all and a good use of the the animatronic, better than SGE

sWANNISAX

I don't have a deep love for the Tiki Room but I'd be sad to see it shuttered especially for a club 33. I would say reduce the number of showings a day and use the room as a location for the Moana meet and greet the rest of the time. If there was a schedule of showings I bet you could fill the show each time.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom