Rumor Bye Bye (Tiki) Birdies?

FigmentJedi

This is not a Disney World I want a part of. Shameful. After seeing how terrible Under New Management was, how could anyone think to destroy such a legacy?
Tokyo's Stitch show is actually more tasteful then New Management. Unlike Iago showing up to yell about how lame the show is only to loudly pitch much lamer ideas for how to "fix it", the Stitch show is structured as more of an average day at the Tiki Room with Stitch kinda lurking in corners and making small mischief before emerging from the Enchanted Fountain for a ukelele jam session at the end.

The only negative is that the actual Tiki Room song doesn't appear in the Stitch version, in favor of the theme song for the animated Lilo and Stitch show, but since that's well over a decade in the past, I could see a localization restoring it (though re-recorded obviously) in an attempt to get fans to put down the pitchforks just a teensy bit.

It's lame, but honestly, the "restored" version at WDW is super neutered anyways considering how much they chainsawed out of it to save money on not having to reinstall the fountain. If any version must stay pure, it's the original Disneyland incarnation.

Haymarket2008

Tokyo's Stitch show is actually more tasteful then New Management. Unlike Iago showing up to yell about how lame the show is only to loudly pitch much lamer ideas for how to "fix it", the Stitch show is structured as more of an average day at the Tiki Room with Stitch kinda lurking in corners and making small mischief before emerging from the Enchanted Fountain for a ukelele jam session at the end.

The only negative is that the actual Tiki Room song doesn't appear in the Stitch version, in favor of the theme song for the animated Lilo and Stitch show, but since that's well over a decade in the past, I could see a localization restoring it (though re-recorded obviously) in an attempt to get fans to put down the pitchforks just a teensy bit.

It's lame, but honestly, the "restored" version at WDW is super neutered anyways considering how much they chainsawed out of it to save money on not having to reinstall the fountain. If any version must stay pure, it's the original Disneyland incarnation.

I do think the truncation of both Tiki Birds and Country Bears does somewhat negatively affect the experience (only those who are familiar with what came before). But for me, Tiki Birds is an essential main stay of the Disney experience. They would never get rid of it in Disneyland, so there is some solace in that. But if they are willing to ditch Tiki Birds when a) it is arguably one of the many strongest "Disney" experiences on property & B) there is so much more worth their time and money to update, it speaks volumes. That truly is something that would give me pause concerning where I am spending my money.

Kman101

They better not turn it into a Club 33. I could see a restaurant or a meet and greet, unfortunately.

I'd begrudgingly accept Stitch if it meant keeping the birds and hopefully the song but even then ...

Where would they put Club 33 in Skipper Canteen? Would they shut off one of the rooms?

FigmentJedi

They better not turn it into a Club 33. I could see a restaurant or a meet and greet, unfortunately.

I'd begrudgingly accept Stitch if it meant keeping the birds and hopefully the song but even then ...

Where would they put Club 33 in Skipper Canteen? Would they shut off one of the rooms?
Considering how they turned Disneyland's "Dream Suite" into a new ritzy restaurant that's basically an extension of Club 33, I could see them doing the same thing over at Magic Kingdom. Plus if you turn the Castle Suite into a lounge, that could allow access to the kitchens for Royal Table.

FigmentJedi

This would be a great place to put a rare character meet and greet. Disneyworld needs to appeal to today's kids, not kids of the 1960s.
quote-you-re-dead-if-you-aim-only-for-kids-adults-are-only-kids-grown-up-anyway-walt-disney-7-91-78.jpg

DDLand

They wouldn't actually put Stitch in, would they? Did they not learn from the decade of torture we lived with over in Tomorrowland that these crap Stitch rides do not work?

I'd rather they just take out the entire attraction than live with this.

Hopefully this attraction starts on fire too...

Casper Gutman

Stop going.

Everyone here knows that this is not an isolated misstep. WDW management has had a number of horrible wrong-headed philosophies for almost two decades now that have resulted in a pattern of mismanagement. The parks have been dumbed down and priced up. Attraction masterpieces are routinely removed, vapid upcharge events are tacked on, reservations are required months in advance to eat or ride anything... WDW has been making it clear for years what they think of guests.

Stop going. DEFINITELY stop joining DVC.

I used to visit WDW parks for several weeks each year. I've stayed at every resort (except AoA) multiple times. A few years back I realized that it was almost more painful then fun to visit WDW. It certainly wasn't worth the price. Now I spend one day or so at a WDW park every couple years, if that. It's not hard - there are other theme parks. Disneyland still exists if I need a Disney fix.

The only way any of the current mismanagement might change is if people just stop going.

zooey

The one idea they could actually get away with is turning it into a tiki restaurant with parts of the show happening above and around you. As I'm sure you all know that's what the 63 version nearly was and they can write plenty of articles in D23 explaining that and how a good idea never dies at WDI, etc ad nauseum.

Goofyernmost

Probably replaced for a new high end restaurant. Thinking Disneyland's Tahitian Terrace meets Imagineering here. I mean, what attraction could really fit that limited space?
@marni1971 Didn't the Tiki Room start out as a restaurant? Probably everyone was constantly having to cover there soup for fear that the birds might do their bird thing and they were right overhead.

MuteSuperstar

Stop going.

Excellent post, and I'm with ya. I'm done for the foreseeable future. The thing that does genuinely sadden me is that there aren't enough of us to matter. Clearly the masses aren't going anywhere and even plenty of defenders here are fine with defiling so many of the things that made WDW unique and a PLEASURE instead of what is increasingly becoming an obscenely expensive chore less and less removed from the drudgery of everyday life.

"Pay more, get less" and borderline contempt for customers is now the way of the world, and it absolutely boggles my mind that so many are blithely on board with it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom