Rumor Bye Bye (Tiki) Birdies?

RSoxNo1

I vaguely remember a suggestion from a while ago about making the Tiki room a themed restaurant. Was that Jim Hill?

Rodan75

I could totally see them reimagining that whole block. From the spinner down thru Tortuga Tavern, rip it out and replace with 1 ride and one restaurant and a new Dole Whip area. It would be horrible for traffic whatever they do.

Otterhead

how can you look at what it's become and not be angered?
I see them building amazing new things, improving favorite attractions, and planning awesome stuff for the future. I'm excited by those things, not angered by them.

Of course there's things that frustrate me that I hope will change. It's that way in all parts of life. Stuff changes. Things evolve. Sometimes in ways you'd like, sometimes not. There's people who are incredibly angry right now because they don't feel like anything good is on the horizon -- and those people don't care about Pandora or Star Wars, so for them, the changes aren't good. I feel like Disney's embracing some terrific new stuff and exploring new areas and that's exciting. I'm looking forward to seeing what's next.

All that said, they need to honor where they came from. If they get rid of legacy attractions like the Tiki Room, it's ignoring their roots.

celluloid

What is sad is the show can remainin concept of an enchanted tiki room that comes alive but with better effects than ever. We can be to the point where birds appear to fly in and land on purches as animatronics and other multinedia bring the rooms to life.

Casper Gutman

I've been here quite a while and people have been saying the same negative sky is falling rhetoric for over half a decade, that I've personally witnessed, anyway. Anecdotal evidence only, but I've seen many people at work and other friends "find" Disney and WDW in particular in that time. Many people. Many families. I encounter far more love from new adopters than anything.
It's important to remember that new people are going to the parks and loving the parks as they are right now. If you or I don't love the parks as they are now, then we may have to just realize they aren't for us any longer.
I think the real hurt, if you want to call it that, for this scenario is that people hope Disney would fail should the company betray what an OG fan thinks is valuable, but Disney is not failing at all, and they create new fans each and every day.

The parks Disney created from the 50s through the early 90s was strong enough that it can survive 20 years of mismanagement. That's not a testament to the modern product, it's a testament to the strength of that fading foundation.

And yes, Disney is ingrained enough in American (and world) pop culture that going to WDW is still a rite of passage. That can and will change if it continues on its current path.

I don't think it's much of a defense to say the parks "aren't for" people who know how much they've declined, how absurdly expensive they are, how much worse the guest experience is.

zooey

The parks Disney created from the 50s through the early 90s was strong enough that it can survive 20 years of mismanagement. That's not a testament to the modern product, it's a testament to the strength of that fading foundation.

And yes, Disney is ingrained enough in American (and world) pop culture that going to WDW is still a rite of passage. That can and will change if it continues on its current path.

I don't think it's much of a defense to say the parks "aren't for" people who know how much they've declined, how absurdly expensive they are, how much worse the guest experience is.
I'm not talking rite of passage trips and fans. I'm talking people who are new die hards, people who go once a year. I actually know someone who has the license plate "run-wdw." If the parks have become such maligned products in a free market, why is this happening? Why aren't people coming back from their vacations saying they'll never go again? It's simply not happening from what I'm seeing. It's only the old timers saying that. I'm one of you, too, just FYI. I've just learned to dig the new little things and not give that much care too it. Progress is progress by any other name.

Winter

It'll be sad to see the Tiki Birds go, although I'll be fine with it if the replacement is good.

One thing I do have a question about though: Why is it that people just complain or get upset about every little change Disney does??? It always annoys me. I espicially notice this with Epcot. Are we not allowed to have any change anymore? People just seem to complain or cry about every little thing Disney does now. I can understand why people would be upset about something like this leaving the park, espicially with the possible replacement being another Stich ride, but some of the things people cry about is just rediculous.

Figments Friend

Oh man.
Sad to hear that the East Coast version of the Attraction is being looked at for gutting.
What the...&@$**~#%???

It's a shame they didn't bother restoring the original show ( and fountain ) after the 'Under New Management' period, and cut the show length down.
In the appreviated form it is currently presented in, a part of me won't be too disappointed to see it go.

The Disneyland 'original' is still the best....and will (hopefully) be present in 'Walt's Park' for the long term.
Far better pre-show experience, setting, and maintained well.
Its taken care of like a historic treasure should be....not ignored and cast off as hokey filler.

I'm still a little sad this is actually being talked about.

So the big question now is....
With the WDW Tiki Room on the chopping block, where oh where is the Orange Bird now supposed to live...??
o_O

-

Casper Gutman

I see them building amazing new things, improving favorite attractions, and planning awesome stuff for the future. I'm excited by those things, not angered by them.

Of course there's things that frustrate me that I hope will change. It's that way in all parts of life. Stuff changes. Things evolve. Sometimes in ways you'd like, sometimes not. There's people who are incredibly angry right now because they don't feel like anything good is on the horizon -- and those people don't care about Pandora or Star Wars, so for them, the changes aren't good. I feel like Disney's embracing some terrific new stuff and exploring new areas and that's exciting. I'm looking forward to seeing what's next.

All that said, they need to honor where they came from. If they get rid of legacy attractions like the Tiki Room, it's ignoring their roots.

So the pathetic shell of Epcot, the fact that they can't build without ripping something out (even as they desperately need capacity), the absolutely absurd price increases as the level of service and quality has declined, the billions spent on a data collection boondoggle, the proliferation of upcharge events that stratify the WDW experience along class lines, the very clear disrespect for guests - none of that bothers you? I'm very excited for SWL too, but in no way does that offset 20 years of decline and neglect. And even SWL - built on the site of past attractions, designed with no clear thought for expansion, cut to the minimum management felt they could get away with - reflects the continuation of the same WDW mindset.

Otterhead

another Stich ride
Now, I will say that if keeping the Tiki birds means letting Stitch in as part of things, I could be OK with that. As others have pointed out, Lilo & Stitch is rooted in Hawaiian culture. If they played that up, it could work. Hell, make it a Polynesian show with the Tiki birds introducing Stitch and then Maui doing a song from Moana. If that's what it takes, and they can do it tastefully, I'll see what they come up with.

Casper Gutman

I'm not talking rite of passage trips and fans. I'm talking people who are new die hards, people who go once a year. I actually know someone who has the license plate "run-wdw." If the parks have become such maligned products in a free market, why is this happening? Why aren't people coming back from their vacations saying they'll never go again? It's simply not happening from what I'm seeing. It's only the old timers saying that. I'm one of you, too, just FYI. I've just learned to dig the new little things and not give that much care too it. Progress is progress by any other name.

Not all change is progress. I don't think Disney has made much "progress" in many years.

Otterhead

So the pathetic shell of Epcot,
Which is up for a massive update, being planned now, park-wide.
the billions spent on a data collection boondoggle
Which is working extremely well now and is enabling new experiences all over the park constantly.
proliferation of upcharge events that stratify the WDW experience along class lines, the very clear disrespect for guests -
I've no idea what you're referring to with either of these things. I've never experienced a "stratifying" experience nor do I feel that WDW is disrespecting guests. Far from it.

SWL - built on the site of past attractions,
Attraction. They removed a show. And a parking lot.

MuteSuperstar

I would have no problem with change if I was confident that the replacement would be an improvement. In my opinion for all of the changes and occasional additions (Pandora of course not included yet) over the past 15 years or so, still none have approached the level of excitement Universal achieved with Spiderman. And I'm hard pressed to think of any attraction that has been updated/overlaid in that time that has been a notable, home-run level improvement.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom