News bye bye bugs: Marvel Land announced, opens 2020

mickEblu

Wait so are we thinking that the land will open in 2020 and the two attractions will follow after? Are they capable of building two attractions by that date?

I think neither Avengers nor Spiderman will be ready for 2020. But i do think they re building the Ant man shooter in ITTBAB and that that will be ready in 2020.

Professortango1

Wait so are we thinking that the land will open in 2020 and the two attractions will follow after? Are they capable of building two attractions by that date?

I'd be willing to bet on maybe one new experience where TTBAB is. And depending on how complex it is, it could even open 2021. If we do get it by Summer of 2020, then it will likely be a big box screen-based attraction with minimal sets/effects to build.

mickEblu

I'm still wondering when we'll see these new attractions coming as 2020 is only 2 years from now and they haven't even begun clearing the land or submitted permits. I'm thinking it will be like Pixar Pier, mostly cosmetic changes and some re-themes with other experiences coming soon. And with Disney, coming soon could mean 2-3 years or never as priorities change and projects are dropped.

No we wont. They ll come after. I think an Ant man shooter is opening with the land.

__r.jr

This is where we get back into our previous discussion. California is no longer the overarching theme of the park, hence no. Disney has decided to move away from California as a theme, which is their right.

And really has been happening at DCA for a couple years now.

Then they should ditch the California theme altogether and rename it. A name that works with what's there now and is broad enough for whatever they want to do with the park in the future.

If they want to promote every branch under their name then rip the band aid off and be done with it.

jaxonp

They should ditch the half heated Hollywood theme... it's never really been that great and the real one is less than an hour away. Why Marvel taking over a bugs land is a big deal is a big laugh to me. Bugs land is cute and all but has as much to do with the California theme as Marvel does so thats a moot point either way. I'm mostly disappointed to think that they will go the cheap route here if they say 2020 opening. Who knows, maybe Disney will move fast for once. What kind of ride systems have been discussed? Will this be another LPS?

TROR

They should ditch the half heated Hollywood theme... it's never really been that great and the real one is less than an hour away.
The real Hollywood is full of prostitutes, homeless, and drugs. It's not a nice place to visit. Disney should absolutely have been cracking down on the Golden Age of Hollywood theme with focuses on classic cinema instead of Mission Breakout, Pixar Pier, and Marvel land. None of these improve the park.

D

Deleted member 107043

I'm wondering why all the concern about the 2 year construction window. So far we have no idea when in that year the new land is set to open. 4th quarter 2020 is 2 years and 7 months from now, plenty of time to build something decent.

Edit: Nevermind. I just read the Blog article and I see now that A Bug's Land doesn't close until late summer.

Last edited by a moderator:

TP2000

I just went for my afternoon HealthWalk and gave this some thought...

This is exciting news, and yet it's incredibly vague and doesn't say much more than the previously vague non-announcement announcement at last July's D23 Expo. The only real news today is that we finally have dates and a location;

• It's Tough To Be A Bug - Closed Permanently Yesterday (and aren't they sneaky at doing it that way, to avoid AP drama!)
  • Flik's Fun Fair - Closing Permanently Late Summer (hopefully when the AP's are still blocked out in mid-August, to avoid drama!)
  • Phase 1 Marvel Land - Opening 2020 (that will only be meet n' greets or a show or something, they can't build a new ride in 2 years can they?)
  • Phase 2 Marvel Land - Sometime in the 2020's (even more vagueness)
I say bring it on. Flik's Fun Fair is semi-cute, but it has long outlived its usefulness as a way to get more rides into a failing DCA. Paul Pressler moved on from A Bug's Land, and it's about time we did too.

But for those here who are suddenly distraught at the thought of losing Flik's Fun Fair, I offer up my condolences and have found for you the most impressive on-ride videos of the four Flik's Fun Fair rides available. Enjoy the 90 second cycle time splendor of Paul Pressler's brilliant addition to DCA 1.0.

Party like it's 2002 kids!

Francis Ladybug Boogie

Tuck and Roll's Drive 'Em Buggies, or The Slowest Most Boring Bumper Cars On Earth, Presented by Disney Legal

Flik's Flyers (Actually not a bad spinner, and being retained and rethemed as Inside Out for Pixar Pier)

Heimlich's Chew Chew Train (The ride we love to hate! And apparently the ride that bored ride operator actually just hates.)

Last edited:

Professortango1

I'm wondering why all the concern about the 2 year construction window. So far we have no idea when in that year the new land is set to open. 4th quarter 2020 is 2 years and 7 months from now, plenty of time to build something decent.

Because Disney notoriously takes a long time to build. Guardians at Epcot is a big box with a coaster track and projection screens, and even with construction already started, it is slated to open 2021. If we do get a ride by 2020, it will certainly be mostly screens and very simple in design.

October82

Then they should ditch the California theme altogether and rename it. A name that works with what's there now and is broad enough for whatever they want to do with the park in the future.

I've never understood the focus on the DCA name - theme parks aren't defined by their name, they're defined by their theme. And DCA no longer has one.

There isn't a name that will bring cohesion to that park, and there really isn't any reason to change it.

dweezil78

Edit: Nevermind. I just read the Blog article and I see now that A Bug's Land doesn't close until late summer.

Yeah... plus you also need to factor in demolition/clearing time into all that too. It took them what, 40 years, to pave the way for SWL? :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom