News bye bye bugs: Marvel Land announced, opens 2020

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Then they should ditch the California theme altogether and rename it. A name that works with what's there now and is broad enough for whatever they want to do with the park in the future.

If they want to promote every branch under their name then rip the band aid off and be done with it.

I have a feeling they likely will, just like they will likely rename DHS.

Disney Cinematic Park has a nice ring to it. Or even Disney Cinematic Universe.

D

Deleted member 107043

You know its a sad state of affairs when I'm more excited for Hollywood Land staying rather than Marvel Land coming.

Give me a Hollywood Land overhaul and all will be forgiven.

I agree. I think the area has potential. It's basically half finished right now.

OAN, this unexpected Marvel news today has me feeling a bit happier about DLR roster of upcoming additions. At least there's something confirmed to come shortly after SW:GE opens.

Last edited by a moderator:

Curious Constance

I just went for my afternoon HealthWalk and gave this some thought...

This is exciting news, and yet it's incredibly vague and doesn't say much more than the previously vague non-announcement announcement at last July's D23 Expo. The only real news today is that we finally have dates and a location;

• It's Tough To Be A Bug - Closed Permanently Yesterday (and aren't they sneaky at doing it that way, to avoid AP drama!)
  • Flik's Fun Fair - Closing Permanently Late Summer (hopefully when the AP's are still blocked out in mid-August, to avoid drama!)
  • Phase 1 Marvel Land - Opening 2020 (that will only be meet n' greets or a show or something, they can't build a new ride in 2 years can they?)
  • Phase 2 Marvel Land - Sometime in the 2020's (even more vagueness)
I say bring it on. Flik's Fun Fair is semi-cute, but it has long outlived its usefulness as a way to get more rides into a failing DCA. Paul Pressler moved on from A Bug's Land, and it's about time we did too.

But for those here who are suddenly distraught at the thought of losing Flik's Fun Fair, I offer up my condolences and have found for you the most impressive on-ride videos of the four Flik's Fun Fair rides available. Enjoy the 90 second cycle time splendor of Paul Pressler's brilliant addition to DCA 1.0.

Party like it's 2002 kids!

Francis Ladybug Boogie

Tuck and Roll's Drive 'Em Buggies, or The Slowest Most Boring Bumper Cars On Earth, Presented by Disney Legal

Flik's Flyers (Actually not a bad spinner, and being retained and rethemed as Inside Out for Pixar Pier)

Heimlich's Chew Chew Train (The ride we love to hate! And apparently the ride that bored ride operator actually just hates.)

I don't think many are going to miss Bugs Land, I certainly won't. But I am bummed that more of the park is being remade into more IP. That's just less of the park that's available to devote to something truly unique and special.

mickEblu

I agree. I think the area has potential. It's basically half finished right now.

The thought of a new attraction coming to the backlot is interesting. I have no idea what it would be though. So once GOTG gets assigned to Marvel Land, Hollywoodland will only have Monsters Inc., Disney Junior, the Hyperion and the Animation building. I guess that’s not too bad. I’d like to see what they could do with the backlot. That or just rebrand Hollywoodland as Buena Vista Street.

But tbh, I don’t understand why Hollywoodland doesn’t get any love? Every time I’m there and I’m looking at the facades up and down Hollywood Blvd, they seem fine to me and not as terrible as people make them out to be. The backlot is the only issue I see.

Old Mouseketeer

Is there any consensus on which way the Marvel expansion will occur? Excuse the quick, crude paint images, but do we expect option 1:View attachment 271375
Covering Bugs Land and all of the back lot?

Or are we leaning more towards option 2, covering bugs land and the expansion pad?
View attachment 271376

Option 2 makes much more sense to me for a multitude of reasons, but at this point nothing would surprise me.

I would say that a modified form of Option 2 would contain the first phases with some modifications. As I've said before, I don't think they'll try to move the buildings in the green rectangle because most of them will be needed to support Marvel as well as the rest of DCA. Blue is GotG:MB and its electric farm and I don't see them going away any time soon. I suspect some portion of the bottom of the purple area will have backstage services for Marvel (but not all--the rest would probably be show building). I think the black is the most likely for the first phase targeted at 2020, possibly spilling over into the center area.

DCA Marvel-1.png

As for your Option 1, I don't think TDA, WDI, or Burbank have any firm idea where that's all going to go. I think the area in Option 2 will keep them busy for a while. YMMV.

Another wild card--if Marvel Land takes off, how safe is Luigi's? Just askin'....

NOTE: Edited GotB to GotG:MB.

Last edited:

nevol

Im really indifferent about this since the details are so vague. Im curious as if if theres any effort to actually intergrate it with the theme of the park or if this is another KABLAM situation (probably the latter)

Also whats with the giant soda can?
I thought that was a giant LED-wrapped theater marquee for hyperion. But yup, soda can it is. Hmm

DanielBB8

No no no. The real question is what are they doing with Tuck n Roll. I heard that when they built it way back when they were doing so in anticipation of Star Wars land balance out the crowds between Disneyland and DCA.
There’s a place for them in WDW. Their Toy Story Land is absolutely puny. Only 2 new attractions. They need additional kids rides to bulk up the area. Sadly, the tall spinning ride will go to the Incredible coaster helix. So if they can make room for the rest, spread the wealth around. Animal Kingdom and Epcot can use one or two.

mickEblu

There’s a place for them in WDW. Their Toy Story Land is absolutely puny. Only 2 new attractions. They need additional kids rides to bulk up the area. Sadly, the tall spinning ride will go to the Incredible coaster helix. So if they can make room for the rest, spread the wealth around. Animal Kingdom and Epcot can use one or two.

No trust me. They don’t want it. (Tuck n Roll). The other 2 are Ok.

Is there room for a Bugs mini land near the Tree of Life?

Californian Elitist

How was it hard to tell? My complete sentence was:

"Either way, Bugs Land is fairly lousy, and only appeals to young children. This land should have a wide appeal to the large family."

By ignoring the second half, you missed the entire point of my post to focus on something you disagree with.

How was it not hard to tell? If you had worded it the way you did in your response, I wouldn’t have misunderstood.

I don’t want to go back and forth. I understand the original purpose of your post. I’m moving on.

bluerhythym

I wouldn't even say half finished. I'd tear everything out except the Hyperion Theater and Animation Academy (with new facades on both), re-route the Red Car Trolley so it heads north instead of south, and start the land from scratch. It could really just be an extension of Buena Vista Street, anchored by a new E-ticket on the backlot space.

MKeeler

I would say that a modified form of Option 2 would contain the first phases with some modifications. As I've said before, I don't think they'll try to move the buildings in the green rectangle because most of them will be needed to support Marvel as well as the rest of DCA. Blue is GotB and its electric farm and I don't see them going away any time soon. I suspect some portion of the bottom of the purple area will have backstage services for Marvel (but not all--the rest would probably be show building). I think the black is the most likely for the first phase targeted at 2020, possibly spilling over into the center area.

As for your Option 1, I don't think TDA, WDI, or Burbank have any firm idea where that's all going to go. I think the area in Option 2 will keep them busy for a while. YMMV.

Another wild card--if Marvel Land takes off, how safe is Luigi's? Just askin'....

Oh, I agree. Option 2 with the caveats you have outlined definitely seems like the plan. This seemed to become clearer once Bug’s Land was on the table for the expansion. I was more curious to see how firm this had become, as I know rumors had been going in both directions.

I would hope now that the Marvel Universe would be limited to this section of the park and would hate to see it expand into the Hollywoodland section any further. It would seem ludicrous that Marvel would occupy a complete side/half of the park when Star Wars is occupying such a relative smaller section. (And I say this as a 20 plus year Marvel zombie).

mickEblu

I wouldn't even say half finished. I'd tear everything out except the Hyperion Theater and Animation Academy (with new facades on both), re-route the Red Car Trolley so it heads north instead of south, and start the land from scratch. It could really just be an extension of Buena Vista Street, anchored by a new E-ticket on the backlot space.

Oh ya forgot about the ugly facade for the Hyperion and the decent at best sky backdrop. And the fact that there is no lobby.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
OAN, this unexpected Marvel news today has me feeling a bit happier about DLR roster of upcoming additions. At least there's something confirmed to come shortly after SW:GE opens.

Like the news or not, one thing is for sure its an exciting time for P&R. Lots of investments being done. And I know you were disappointed after D23 last year because of no major announcements for DLR. And still more to look forward to over the next decade or more, TL, FL, TT, and more.

D

Deleted member 107043

Every time I’m there and I’m looking at the facades up and down Hollywood Blvd, they seem fine to me and not as terrible as people make them out to be. The backlot is the only issue I see.

The facades are really nice. It's kind of sad that maybe one of the most architecturally significant buildings in the two Anaheim theme parks is this little Frank Lloyd Wright inspired gem tucked away in Hollywood Land. If only the entire land was this well executed as this bathroom.

HW%2BRestrooms.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom