News bye bye bugs: Marvel Land announced, opens 2020

Professortango1

Yes, it can be. But I'm just going off of posted wait times.

Tower of Terror in its final years was often a complete walk-on with a posted wait of "13" minutes. Even though it was 5 minutes or less, it was a fun sight gag. On the busy days Tower of Terror would sometimes get up to 30 or 40 minutes, but no one ever had to get a Fastpass for it. Fastpasses were always available for Tower of Terror in 2012, '13, '14, '15, etc.

But now Mission: BREAKOUT is generally a 60 to 90 minute wait. Currently on the Disneyland App at 2:50pm Pacific, Mission: BREAKOUT! is posted at a 75 minute wait. All Fastpasses have been given out for the day already, none are left. The wait time for the Black Panther meet n' greet is 90 minutes.

That's not subjective. That's just the facts. Disneyland visitors are clearly clamoring for more Marvel experiences. And TDA is answering that call finally.

Mission BO has been consistently about 45 minutes whenever I visit, about the same amount of time I waited for TOT. And that's with Mission BO being a "New" ride, there's always a bump in wait times for the first 5 years or so.

Black Panther in 90? Wow, if wait times told the entire story, then Mission BO is less popular than meeting a guy in a bad costume.

SuddenStorm

Not sure I like that the land will be "anchored" by Mission Breakout, I would have expected some kind of Avengers Ride on the scale of the Star Wars Battle ride that's going into Galaxy's Edge to anchor a land based on one of Disney's biggest properties.

Either way, Bugs Land is fairly lousy, and only appeals to young children. This land should have a wide appeal to the large family.

Just don't ask me to try and explain what the theme or overarching purpose of "California Adventure" is.

SuddenStorm

My friends and I are a few years shy of 30 and we love a bug’s land, so that’s false.

With pretty much any statement someone could make, there will be exceptions. I'm glad you enjoy the bumper cars, flick flyers, and Heimlich chew chew train. Not many adults are paying park admission to experience these attractions though.

But as a whole, Bugs Land has inexpensive carnival rides that are geared towards young children, with little appeal to most adults. Marvel on the other hand has a wide appeal to a much wider age group. That's the point I was trying to make.

TROR

Me for the past 8 years: They should remove Bug's Land to expand Grizzly Peak
Disney fans: No! No! Think of the children!

Disney: We're replacing Bug's Land with Spider-Man
Disney fans:
Screen Shot 2018-03-20 at 3.48.15 PM.png

mickEblu

Tough to be a Bug was one of DCA's most "Disney quality" experiences. I loved that attraction. As for your assessment of Mission BO and Incredicoaster, that's what has many of worried. DCA's TOT was a fully realized attraction and Screamin had an ugly queue, but fun on-ride experience. These quick and cheap re-themes are 2-dimensional and feel incredibly lazy and shoe-horned.

I really liked ITTBAB. Quality show/ effects and great Q. As an AP, i only did it about once every 18 months or less.

Professortango1

With pretty much any statement someone could make, there will be exceptions. I'm glad you enjoy the bumper cars, flick flyers, and Heimlich chew chew train. Not many adults are paying park admission to experience these attractions though.

But as a whole, Bugs Land has inexpensive carnival rides that are geared towards young children, with little appeal to most adults. Marvel on the other hand has a wide appeal to a much wider age group. That's the point I was trying to make.

It had nice themeing and Tough to be a Bug was incredible. I won't miss the majority of it, but the land feels more Disney than what I picture them doing for Marvel.

Professortango1

I really liked ITTBAB. Quality show/ effects and great Q. As an AP, i only did it about once every 18 months or less.

That's the trouble with show attractions; no matter how incredible they are, you don't have the same desire to re-experience them as moving rides. But the segment when Hopper takes over is one of my top Disney created moments.

SuddenStorm

It had nice themeing and Tough to be a Bug was incredible. I won't miss the majority of it, but the land feels more Disney than what I picture them doing for Marvel.

I never did It's Tough To Be a Bug. Had little desire to. The theming was interesting to walk through once in a while for sure, but I still think Marvel land will be a net gain for the park, thematic inconsistencies aside.

Professortango1

I totally agree and yet I know I'll spend more time in Marvel land because of the better rides.

We'll have to see about "better." Given their recent track record, they could just re-open the Bugs Land rides with screens and a quick paint job. I mean, throw screen tubes around Heimlich and you have a potential Kong Skull Island.

Californian Elitist

Hm, it was hard to tell. But okay.

mickEblu

We'll have to see about "better." Given their recent track record, they could just re-open the Bugs Land rides with screens and a quick paint job. I mean, throw screen tubes around Heimlich and you have a potential Kong Skull Island.

Hahah yeah GOTG and Pixar Pier dont instill the most confidence. Just based off ride systems alone i know I'll spend more time there. Avengers is a coaster. Spider-man if they go with the "leaked" ride patent looks fun and they re not re-skins. So there's that. They'll put some actual budget and quality into it. Not SWL level but I expect something much greater than Pixar Pier or GOTG. The Ant man shooter will probably be fun, repeatable and have a lot of capacity.

Professortango1

Hahah yeah GOTG and Pixar Pier dont instill the most confidence. Just based off ride systems alone i know I'll spend more time there. Avengers is a coaster. Spider-man if they go with the "leaked" ride patent looks fun and they re not re-skins. So there's that. They'll put some actual budget and quality into it. Not SWL level but I expect something much greater than Pixar Pier or GOTG. The Ant man shooter will probably be fun, repeatable and have a lot of capacity.

I'm still wondering when we'll see these new attractions coming as 2020 is only 2 years from now and they haven't even begun clearing the land or submitted permits. I'm thinking it will be like Pixar Pier, mostly cosmetic changes and some re-themes with other experiences coming soon. And with Disney, coming soon could mean 2-3 years or never as priorities change and projects are dropped.

SuddenStorm

Hm, it was hard to tell. But okay.

How was it hard to tell? My complete sentence was:

"Either way, Bugs Land is fairly lousy, and only appeals to young children. This land should have a wide appeal to the large family."

By ignoring the second half, you missed the entire point of my post to focus on something you disagree with.

Suspirian

Wait so are we thinking that the land will open in 2020 and the two attractions will follow after? Are they capable of building two attractions by that date?

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom