News bye bye bugs: Marvel Land announced, opens 2020

Disney Irish

Premium Member
So is this really only taking up Bug's Land and nothing else? This is going to be a pretty small land then isn't it? All this time I was expecting like the whole west side of the park to become all Marvel.
"At Disneyland Resort, the new Super Hero-themed land will begin recruiting guests in 2020, with even more new experiences to follow."

This has me thinking its a phased project. Meaning that its starting with Bug's Land and moving its way into the Backlot at a future date.

mickEblu

I wouldn't be surprised if the bugsland theater is reconfigured to add the now in construction Antman and Wasp attraction being built in Hong Kong. That attractions seems like a more advance buzzlightyear shooter.
If that is the case they might be also considering eventually eliminating all Pixar related attractions in Disneyland. Right now they are concentrated in Tomorrowland but would make sense to remove them once DCA has whole areas of Pixar.

this would open tomorrowland for a complete refresh and expansion.

lol i swear i responded to your other post before i saw this one.

__r.jr

I should have expanded further.

Yes there is potential space however given the political stance between Disney and the City of Anaheim along with the long-term planing that comes with, creating a third gate doesn't seem to be the ideal direction to pursue. Especially if Disney wants to capitalize on these franchises here and now since they have proven to be so lucrative within the last decade.

mickEblu

That sounds like similar to what I was thinking.... Great Minds Bruh!

Lol. Absolutely bruh. Makes a lot of sense. The Antman shooter would have no problems fitting in ITTBAB and it already has the amazing Q. They can clone the ride from Hong Kong and it can open in 2020 so the new land has at least one new ride. This would also leave the entrance to Marvel land off the main artery through DCA green and in symphony with the surrounding area today.

Whats even more exciting... is this a possible clue that a TL renovation is on the table? Of course Buzz and Ant man can both exist but it makes you think.

Timothy_Q

I should have expanded further.

Yes there is potential space however given the political stance between Disney and the City of Anaheim along with the long-term planing that comes with, creating a third gate doesn't seem to be the ideal direction to pursue. Especially if Disney wants to capitalized on these franchises here and now since they have proven to be lucrative within the last decade.
I hear you.

It's a shame nobody at Disney seems to wanna take on the challenge of building the 3rd park.
It would have fixed so many of the current issues in the 2 parks

TP2000

This is 100% subjective

Yes, it can be. But I'm just going off of posted wait times.

Tower of Terror in its final years was often a complete walk-on with a posted wait of "13" minutes. Even though it was 5 minutes or less, it was a fun sight gag. On the busy days Tower of Terror would sometimes get up to 30 or 40 minutes, but no one ever had to get a Fastpass for it. Fastpasses were always available for Tower of Terror in 2012, '13, '14, '15, etc.

But now Mission: BREAKOUT is generally a 60 to 90 minute wait. Currently on the Disneyland App at 2:50pm Pacific, Mission: BREAKOUT! is posted at a 75 minute wait. All Fastpasses have been given out for the day already, none are left. The wait time for the Black Panther meet n' greet is 90 minutes.

That's not subjective. That's just the facts. Disneyland visitors are clearly clamoring for more Marvel experiences. And TDA is answering that call finally.

Disney Irish

Premium Member

Tower of Terror in its final years was often a complete walk-on with a posted wait of "13" minutes. Even though it was 5 minutes or less, it was a fun sight gag. On the busy days Tower of Terror would sometimes get up to 30 or 40 minutes, but no one ever had to get a Fastpass for it. Fastpasses were always available for Tower of Terror in 2012, '13, '14, '15, etc.

But now Mission: BREAKOUT is generally a 60 to 90 minute wait. Currently on the Disneyland App at 2:50pm Pacific, Mission: BREAKOUT! is posted at a 75 minute wait. All Fastpasses have been given out for the day already, none are left. The wait time for the Black Panther meet n' greet is 90 minutes.

That's not subjective. That's just the facts. Disneyland visitors are clearly clamoring for more Marvel experiences. And TDA is answering that call finally.

Agreed and something some of us have been trying to say on this board for some time now.

TROR

negative nancy bringing the ugh as usual.
1521582547864.png

Timothy_Q

What you're saying is that it's more popular.
Agreed. That is indeed a fact.

But a superior experience? Quality-wise? That is subjective

Disney Irish

Premium Member
No, allowable from the original contract. If Disney couldn't use Marvel outside the parks in the U.S., none of the Marvel movies would say 'Marvel.'

The contract with Universal didn't cover movies, it covered the Marvel Action Universe only. But I'm probably not saying anything you don't already know.

Professortango1

Wait... I'm sorry, and I don't mean to pick on you personally... But are we really now lamenting the loss of A Bug's Land???

That was the biggest cheap-o rush job of a land, forced into DCA by Paul Pressler of all people in a panic in 2002 after DCA 1.0 fell flat on its face in 2001. Using a "theme" of bugs, from the least-liked Pixar movie that went straight into the $5 DVD bin, that had absolutely nothing to do with the then-weak theme of the park; the State of California.

And now they are going to spend huge amounts of money to bulldoze it and build big splashy new rides based on wildly popular movies that people actually love, and we are supposed to be upset at that? Because.... Heimlich's Chew Chew Train? :eek:

maxresdefault.jpg

No kidding. Good thing this isn't Paul Pressler doing this. TDA spends big amounts of money nowadays, and the product from WDI consistently turns out very good. Like Mission: BREAKOUT being a superior ride experience to DCA Tower of Terror. Or Incredicoaster adding special effects and actual show scenes to a good roller coaster previously saddled with Pressler's stucco walls and charmless non-effects.

Losing A Bug's Land, the poster child for the cheap Paul Pressler Era, to get a Marvel Land is a huge win.

But I have to admit I am sitting here laughing out loud over the Disney fans who suddenly think A Bug's Land is worth saving and it somehow destroys California Adventure to lose it. HYSTERICAL!:D

Tough to be a Bug was one of DCA's most "Disney quality" experiences. I loved that attraction. As for your assessment of Mission BO and Incredicoaster, that's what has many of worried. DCA's TOT was a fully realized attraction and Screamin had an ugly queue, but fun on-ride experience. These quick and cheap re-themes are 2-dimensional and feel incredibly lazy and shoe-horned.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom