News bye bye bugs: Marvel Land announced, opens 2020

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Is there any consensus on which way the Marvel expansion will occur? Excuse the quick, crude paint images, but do we expect option 1:View attachment 271375
Covering Bugs Land and all of the back lot?

Or are we leaning more towards option 2, covering bugs land and the expansion pad?
View attachment 271376

Option 2 makes much more sense to me for a multitude of reasons, but at this point nothing would surprise me.

At this point, option 2. But I have a feeling that the rest of the area in option 1 is phase 2. But that is just my opinion.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Let's see...

Spider-Bus? And a Spider-Man
Giant soda can and parachute droppers?
Quinn jet (Avengers/SHIELD) and Avenger Building
Stark water tower
Wakandan tech/foliage with Black Panther
Doctor Strange and the Sactum Sanctorum
GotG and GotG:MB

California_Poster_Final.jpg

__r.jr

Where is there room for a third gate?

For Anaheim, there isn't. However why can't we have both? Is really all that difficult to create new concepts and environments that can encompass both these franchises and the theme of the park?

At this point, and for a couple years now, the California in DCA is now more about location than theme.

I agree. It's evident. What's happening in California Adventure has been going on in Hollywood Studios and in Walt Disney Studios.

mickEblu

BTW, I like how it says "even more new experiences to follow". This could be an indication that they haven't completely given up the expansion into the transportation hub.

So does this mean it doesn't open with Avengers coaster or Spider-man ride? I don't like how it says that it will be anchored by GOTG. Meaning the other 1 or 2 attractions will be lesser attractions. Or they could be saying GOTG is the anchor because of its size, presence and its what we re familiar with.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
For Anaheim, no. However why can't we have both? Is really all that difficult to create new concepts and environments that can encompass both these franchises and the theme of the park?
This is where we get back into our previous discussion. California is no longer the overarching theme of the park, hence no. Disney has decided to move away from California as a theme, which is their right.

I agree. It's evident. What's happening in California Adventure has been going on in Hollywood Studios and in Walt Disney Studios.
And really has been happening at DCA for a couple years now.

TP2000

DCA was a great park for a few years. This really is a shame, between this and Pixar Pier.

Wait... I'm sorry, and I don't mean to pick on you personally... But are we really now lamenting the loss of A Bug's Land???

That was the biggest cheap-o rush job of a land, forced into DCA by Paul Pressler of all people in a panic in 2002 after DCA 1.0 fell flat on its face in 2001. Using a "theme" of bugs, from the least-liked Pixar movie that went straight into the $5 DVD bin, that had absolutely nothing to do with the then-weak theme of the park; the State of California.

And now they are going to spend huge amounts of money to bulldoze it and build big splashy new rides based on wildly popular movies that people actually love, and we are supposed to be upset at that? Because.... Heimlich's Chew Chew Train? :eek:

maxresdefault.jpg

Eh... even if this ends up being a total crap sandwich, it's still better than Bug's Land.

No kidding. Good thing this isn't Paul Pressler doing this. TDA spends big amounts of money nowadays, and the product from WDI consistently turns out very good. Like Mission: BREAKOUT being a superior ride experience to DCA Tower of Terror. Or Incredicoaster adding special effects and actual show scenes to a good roller coaster previously saddled with Pressler's stucco walls and charmless non-effects.

Losing A Bug's Land, the poster child for the cheap Paul Pressler Era, to get a Marvel Land is a huge win.

But I have to admit I am sitting here laughing out loud over the Disney fans who suddenly think A Bug's Land is worth saving and it somehow destroys California Adventure to lose it. HYSTERICAL!:D

Last edited:

mickEblu

that Poster kind of reveals now how the guardians tower fits with the rethemed buildings next to the Hyperion.

Also looks like at this point the main entrance on that side of the park to this new marvel area will be the side street off Hollywood blvd.

You mean Sunset?

Disney Irish

Premium Member
So does this mean it doesn't open with Avengers coaster or Spider-man ride? I don't like how it says that it will be anchored by GOTG. Meaning the other 1 or 2 attractions will be lesser attractions. Or they could be saying GOTG is the anchor because of its size, presence and its what we re familiar with.

To me it sounds like its going to open in phases, which is why ITTBAB closed yesterday. I wouldn't say this has any indication on the quality or size/scope of the other attractions.

BasiltheBatLord

So is this really only taking up Bug's Land and nothing else? This is going to be a pretty small land then isn't it? All this time I was expecting like the whole west side of the park to become all Marvel.

mickEblu

I'm wondering if the entrance area of bugsland will stay neutral and green and be kind of like an Antman area. The giant soda can might be a reference to an Antman and Wasp area.

there is also an indication of the Avnegers building similar to the one they showed for Hong Kong. I'm guessing that such a large building will be placed as far back as possible in the Timon lot or in a position where they could use the back of the guardian building as a backdrop.

the layout for this area will be interesting once tuck and roll and the rest of FFF gets torn out.

Hmmm you have me thinking. Buzz closes is TL. Antman shooter ride in ITTBAB, Avengers coaster behind GOTG. Spiderman ride eventually as final phase in the backlot.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom