News bye bye bugs: Marvel Land announced, opens 2020

JD2000

It is too bad Mission Breakout is pretty much confirmed now to be staying and not actually be a "temporary exhibition" set to be demolished once construction of Marvel Land started. And they are not going to demolish or at least extensively re-skin Hollywood Land for the new land, as it is very redundant now with Buena Vista Street.

Ismael Flores

Disney announces cheap quick exploitation of acquired IP, significantly downsized from previous plans. Disney fans complain. Because they're fans of the quality and imagination that drew them to Disney in the first place.
How do we know its a cheap quick fix from one poster that was released?
The timeline does seem quick but could it be that they will be having staggered openings for attractions and maybe that is why they say new experience to come later or maybe they see the need for something to counter act Disneyland attendance and they have budgeted an expedited construction timeline. They don't have all the rockwork to worry about this time. Star Wars area is taking three years, deduct all that extra time of carving all that rockwork and the timeline might not be so bad.

shortstop

They really seem to be going for a Marvel "Theme Park Universe" here. It looks like based on the characters featured on the posters, they won't be duplicating any attractions, which is a plus.

That said, I expect nothing short of the top attractions on the earth if they expect to close Heimlich's without a fight. RIP Heimlich.

__r.jr

where do you put it then? Is Bugsland really California related?

Oh "a Bug's land" is no different. Though when Bountiful Valley Farm existed there was a connection. A weak one granted but it was there.

Ideally, Marvel, Star Wars etc. should have been given their own gate. But since Disney wants to capitalize on every one of their franchises here and now it's doing so at the expense of already established themed parks.

Of course today's announcement is vague. We need more information. They may very well find a way for it to have a connection to the California theme. However if Mission: Breakout!'s existence is any indication, it stands for good reason it won't bode well. We shall see though.

Last edited:

Hatbox Ghostbuster

They really seem to be going for a Marvel "Theme Park Universe" here. It looks like based on the characters featured on the posters, they won't be duplicating any attractions, which is a plus.

That said, I expect nothing short of the top attractions on the earth if they expect to close Heimlich's without a fight. RIP Heimlich.
They won't be duplicating attractions because a good amount of these attractions are going to be overlays of existing attractions that are somewhat unique to their respective parks.

Ismael Flores

Im really indifferent about this since the details are so vague. Im curious as if if theres any effort to actually intergrate it with the theme of the park or if this is another KABLAM situation (probably the latter)

Also whats with the giant soda can?

I'm wondering if the entrance area of bugsland will stay neutral and green and be kind of like an Antman area. The giant soda can might be a reference to an Antman and Wasp area.

there is also an indication of the Avnegers building similar to the one they showed for Hong Kong. I'm guessing that such a large building will be placed as far back as possible in the Timon lot or in a position where they could use the back of the guardian building as a backdrop.

the layout for this area will be interesting once tuck and roll and the rest of FFF gets torn out.

Last edited:

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Ideally, Marvel, Star Wars etc. should have been given their own gate. But since Disney wants to capitalize on every one of their franchises here and now it's doing so at the expense of already established themed parks.

Where is there room for a third gate?

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I'm wondering if the entrance area of bugsland will stay neutral and green and be kind of like an Antman area. The giant soda can might be a reference to an Antman and Wasp area

@mickEblu and I had that very discussion over in the Pixar Pier thread. That is sort of what I thought, but there was no mention of Ant-Man/Wasp outside of the Avengers. So it'll be interesting to see when more information comes out.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Oh "a Bug's land" is no different. Though when Bountiful Valley Farm existed it there was a connection. A weak one granted but it was there.

Of course today's announcement is vague. We need more information. They may very well find a way for it to have a connection to the California theme. However if Mission: Breakout!'s existence is any indication, it stands for good reason it won't bode well. We shall see though.

At this point, and for a couple years now, the California in DCA is now more about location than theme.

MKeeler

Is there any consensus on which way the Marvel expansion will occur? Excuse the quick, crude paint images, but do we expect option 1:
1521580896437.png

Covering Bugs Land and all of the back lot?

Or are we leaning more towards option 2, covering bugs land and the expansion pad?
1521580966397.png

Option 2 makes much more sense to me for a multitude of reasons, but at this point nothing would surprise me.

Ismael Flores

@mickEblu and I had that very discussion over in the Pixar Pier thread. That is sort of what I thought, but there was no mention of Ant-Man/Wasp outside of the Avengers. So it'll be interesting to see when more information comes out.

I wouldn't be surprised if the bugsland theater is reconfigured to add the now in construction Antman and Wasp attraction being built in Hong Kong. That attractions seems like a more advance buzzlightyear shooter.
If that is the case they might be also considering eventually eliminating all Pixar related attractions in Disneyland. Right now they are concentrated in Tomorrowland but would make sense to remove them once DCA has whole areas of Pixar.

this would open tomorrowland for a complete refresh and expansion.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom