Burbank....we have a problem!

cheezbat

I can't justify spending $80 for a 4 minute ride and riding the same exact ride selection that was in place 10 years ago. I would rather spend $37 and be surrounded by nyers at great adventure, they continue to add value to their property.

Disney continues to add rides and attractions to their parks, I don't know what other top 25 parks in the US that has just sat on their laurels for so long as universal has done with IOA. Space mountain is 35 years old, and rock n roller coaster is over 10 years old but disney has added other attractions since then. Hell the small park that that I grew up at, Clementon lake park, has been adding rides this decade.

This is my point and why I know that wwhp alone will not sustain growth at IOA.[/QUOTE]

Oh really? You can't justify spending $80 to go to a park that has only added one ride in 10 years? Do you visit Animal Kingdom ever? Lets see what BIG rides have they added since 2000: Expedition Everest. That's it. At least at Islands they have more rides and attractions, and most of them are REALLY GOOD rides and attractions. In the past 5 years IOA has added not only the Wizarding World of Harry Potter, but also The High In The Sky Suess Trolley Train Ride.
And you know that not only is an expansion getting prepped for IOA's WWOHP, but you know in the next number of years Marvel Superhero Island is getting rethemed too...and I wouldn't be surprised if following all of that there's even more rides and attractions to follow.

cheezbat

Take a moment and compare a list of all new attractions (not shops restaurants and hotels) that have been added to both WDW and Universal Orlando since 2000, I think you may be suprised at just how much Uni has added in their two parks compared to WDW's four.

Magic Kingdom:
-Mickeys Philharmagic
-Stitchs Great Escape
-Monsters Inc Laugh Floor

EPCOT:
-Turtle Talk With Crush
-Mission Space
-Soarin'
-The Seas With Nemo and Friends

Hollywood Studios:
-Who Wants to Be a Millionaire(now closed)
-Toy Story Mania
-the American Idol Experience
-Lights Motors Action!

Animal Kingdom:
-TriceraTop Spin
-Primeval Whirl
-Expedition Everest
-Finding Nemo the Musical

Unversal Studios:
-Men In Black
-Jimmy Neutron
-Shrek 4-d
-Revenge of the Mummy
-Fear Factor Live
-the Simpsons Ride
-Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit

Islands of Adventure:
-Storm Force
-the Flying Unicorn(now the Hippogriff)
-the High In the Sky Suess Trolley Train Ride
-Wizarding World of Harry Potter(featuring the Forbidden Journey)

there's your list!

Burning Metal

I gotta say, I frequent this board and also a Universal Studios board and I always see so much Universal bashing on here! I have yet to see people on the Universal board bashing Disney...it's almost like alot of people on here seem to think that Universal is "below" them or that Universal is not good enough or something...kind of a snobby type attitude. I live in Florida 1 1/2 hrs from Orlando, my Wife, Myself and my 15yr old Stepson had a choice to get season passes to Universal or Disney, we picked Universal.
We've been there about 7 or 8 times in the past 4 months and I have yet to see anything that I feel is unsafe, discourteous, or dirty. We always have a lot of fun there and in my opinion, The Harry Potter FJ ride is probably the best ride I've ever been on in my life...and I'm not even a Harry Potter fan! The Jurassic River ride is one of my favorite along with Spider Man and The Mummy. My Sis took here two sons to Disney for 3 days over this past summer and while they had a decent time, they really weren't that impressed. Now her sons really want to check out Universal. My Sis. hadn't been to Disney in about 15yrs before the trip and she said it just seems that Disney has lost the Magic it once had and I agree. It just seems "stale" or something and I have seen garbage overflowing the trash cans there on a busy day. Just seems like they let alot of things "go" with upkeep and such...just doesn't seem like the same place it use to be...

BigThunderMatt

Universal is not making that much profit from $30 wands and $8 cream sodas, neither are is it enough to make $200 million+.

Ever hear about that river in Egypt?

I personally visited WWoHP multiple times over the summer. I can tell you that people are spending a fortune on merchandise there. I easily spent $500 alone this summer. I can't tell you the last time Disney has enticed me to spend that much and I'm a cast member.

The lines to get into the stores are ridiculous, and I would guess that at least 90% of the people who enter wind up buying something. Those cash registers never stopped opening on any day I was there.

The very idea that you seem to think that they can't make much profit on "$30 wands and $8 cream sodas" is laughable. It's VERY possible to make a HUGE profit on such things when thousands of people are buying them every hour.

T-1MILLION

Ever hear about that river in Egypt?

I personally visited WWoHP multiple times over the summer. I can tell you that people are spending a fortune on merchandise there. I easily spent $500 alone this summer. I can't tell you the last time Disney has enticed me to spend that much and I'm a cast member.

The lines to get into the stores are ridiculous, and I would guess that at least 90% of the people who enter wind up buying something. Those cash registers never stopped opening on any day I was there.

The very idea that you seem to think that they can't make much profit on "$30 wands and $8 cream sodas" is laughable. It's VERY possible to make a HUGE profit on such things when thousands of people are buying them every hour.

Thank you for brinigng some straight forward sense to the thread.

Also the same thanks to Burning Metal.

I love both Disney and Universal. When one delievers the better product. I have to acknwoledge that and as this thread's original point proves...people, guests and fans take notice.

flavious27

You point to this model as if it's a failure yet, this is EXACTLY what Disney is trying to do over at DD. The more the merchants make the more Universal makes, simple fact.

I am not saying it is a failure, I am pointing out that mostly every restaurant and shop is not universal.

AEfx

DL the flagship park? :confused: Again it's the original and provides a fantastic legacy, and is still very popular; but WDW MK is the flagship park in the center of the flagship resort. Most of that has to do with the amount of total resort space.

Have you ever been to Disneyland?

Overall, it blows the MK straight out of the water in everything but walk-way space (so much of it feels cramped compared to the wide open spaces at the MK).

Twice as many attractions, more to see and do, many more food options, and that's not even counting the history there that makes it extra special. Their Fantasyland makes ours look like a bad joke someone is playing - thankfully, at least that is finally being addressed at MK.

I love WDW, and it's certainly the "flagship" resort as it is the largest and the biggest moneymaker, but if you take that out of the equation and compare it, park to park, Disneyland vs. Magic Kingdom - it's impossible for MK to win, it may cover more physical land but Disneyland simply is the fullest Disney park with the most rides, attractions, and food choices. It would be almost impossible to ride all the major attractions in Disneyland in one day - and it's pretty easily done at MK.

AEfx

Oh really? You can't justify spending $80 to go to a park that has only added one ride in 10 years? Do you visit Animal Kingdom ever? Lets see what BIG rides have they added since 2000: Expedition Everest. That's it. At least at Islands they have more rides and attractions, and most of them are REALLY GOOD rides and attractions.

It's funny, but I was just thinking about this yesterday, and I can't believe I'm going to say it:

I really don't like Animal Kingdom. There is nothing to do that I am interested in besides riding Dinosaur. If I am on my own, that's the only thing there I'll even do. I dread taking other people there, because I find it so utterly boring.

FOLK is nice, but been there, done that. I think Nemo is the most overrated attraction I have ever seen - and the seats are incredibly uncomfortable to me (and I never have a problem getting comfortable ANYWHERE). Everest, besides being a laughing stock because the centerpiece of the attraction does not work (and, it was a poor design to begin with going past the Yeti so fast that even when he WAS working you barely got a glimpse of him), and the quick forward/back/forward is the only roller coaster I've been on in my life that can make me queasy. The Safari is nice and all, but the crowds keep me away most of the time unless I can FP it. And all the little walks/exhibits - I have three zoos within a few hours of where I live that blow that stuff out of the water.

And...that's it. It's a pretty park, but there is so little for me to do there that most of my visits are only a couple of hours, and the majority of that time is walking in and walking out.

At least at IOA, the rides they have may not have changed much but I enjoy many of them so much more. Just Spiderman I can ride for hours, let alone the other great rides.

I am totally not a "I ONLY WANT THRILLS!" person. In fact, my favorite rides are HM, GMR, and SSE. But AK just feels so stagnant to me, EE is the biggest disappointment I've ever had with Disney, and as I said it's a lovely, big, sprawling park, but I often spend more time walking in and out than I actually do experiencing anything there these days.

(NOTE: I am sure many people disagree, it may be your favorite place, your kids might adore it, etc. - but if you want to ride, well, rides, it's pretty much a killjoy in every sense with the exception of Dinosaur.)

flavious27

Take a moment and compare a list of all new attractions (not shops restaurants and hotels) that have been added to both WDW and Universal Orlando since 2000, I think you may be suprised at just how much Uni has added in their two parks compared to WDW's four.

I know that universal has replaced and added attractions at us along with city walk, I am pointing out that universal did not add any new rides for 10 years until FJ.

flavious27

I can't justify spending $80 for a 4 minute ride and riding the same exact ride selection that was in place 10 years ago. I would rather spend $37 and be surrounded by nyers at great adventure, they continue to add value to their property.

Disney continues to add rides and attractions to their parks, I don't know what other top 25 parks in the US that has just sat on their laurels for so long as universal has done with IOA. Space mountain is 35 years old, and rock n roller coaster is over 10 years old but disney has added other attractions since then. Hell the small park that that I grew up at, Clementon lake park, has been adding rides this decade.

This is my point and why I know that wwhp alone will not sustain growth at IOA.

Oh really? You can't justify spending $80 to go to a park that has only added one ride in 10 years? Do you visit Animal Kingdom ever? Lets see what BIG rides have they added since 2000: Expedition Everest. That's it. At least at Islands they have more rides and attractions, and most of them are REALLY GOOD rides and attractions. In the past 5 years IOA has added not only the Wizarding World of Harry Potter, but also The High In The Sky Suess Trolley Train Ride.
And you know that not only is an expansion getting prepped for IOA's WWOHP, but you know in the next number of years Marvel Superhero Island is getting rethemed too...and I wouldn't be surprised if following all of that there's even more rides and attractions to follow.[/QUOTE]

You seriously want to justify universal's inaction by comparing their 2nd gate to disney's 4th gate zoo? And then spin a positive with the Sylvester McMonkey McBean Ride folly? In the last 10 years at IOA, universal finally opened their much delayed trolley ride and added forbidden journey. As for marvel island, it has been stated that universal can not change anything without consent from the license holder, the disney company. do you really think disney will let universal increase their popularity?

flavious27

I gotta say, I frequent this board and also a Universal Studios board and I always see so much Universal bashing on here! I have yet to see people on the Universal board bashing Disney...it's almost like alot of people on here seem to think that Universal is "below" them or that Universal is not good enough or something...kind of a snobby type attitude. I live in Florida 1 1/2 hrs from Orlando, my Wife, Myself and my 15yr old Stepson had a choice to get season passes to Universal or Disney, we picked Universal.
We've been there about 7 or 8 times in the past 4 months and I have yet to see anything that I feel is unsafe, discourteous, or dirty. We always have a lot of fun there and in my opinion, The Harry Potter FJ ride is probably the best ride I've ever been on in my life...and I'm not even a Harry Potter fan! The Jurassic River ride is one of my favorite along with Spider Man and The Mummy. My Sis took here two sons to Disney for 3 days over this past summer and while they had a decent time, they really weren't that impressed. Now her sons really want to check out Universal. My Sis. hadn't been to Disney in about 15yrs before the trip and she said it just seems that Disney has lost the Magic it once had and I agree. It just seems "stale" or something and I have seen garbage overflowing the trash cans there on a busy day. Just seems like they let alot of things "go" with upkeep and such...just doesn't seem like the same place it use to be...

Is it bashing to point out that universal half it alot? I appreciate what universal has done in California and Florida, they have made some impressive attractions. But they have made mistakes and questionable decisions. It is not in disney's best interest to eliminate universal, they push them to be better and keeps people in orlando for an extra day or two.

disneyrcks

1st.....is nyers supposed to be New Yorkers? 2nd.......Universal wipes its with Great Adventure. I got to go there for free for my husbands company picnic last summer and it blew! Nothing even comparable to Universal. The coasters are great but other than that we left and went through the safari three hours after arriving (we had finished everything they had to offer plus lunch). I remember Great Adventure as a blast when I was 8 but as an adult it does not compare to Universal. If all u are looking for is a thrill ride experience than I can totally see why u would pick GA over Universal but dollar for dollar Universal has way more.

flavious27

Have you ever been to Disneyland?

Overall, it blows the MK straight out of the water in everything but walk-way space (so much of it feels cramped compared to the wide open spaces at the MK).

Twice as many attractions, more to see and do, many more food options, and that's not even counting the history there that makes it extra special. Their Fantasyland makes ours look like a bad joke someone is playing - thankfully, at least that is finally being addressed at MK.

I love WDW, and it's certainly the "flagship" resort as it is the largest and the biggest moneymaker, but if you take that out of the equation and compare it, park to park, Disneyland vs. Magic Kingdom - it's impossible for MK to win, it may cover more physical land but Disneyland simply is the fullest Disney park with the most rides, attractions, and food choices. It would be almost impossible to ride all the major attractions in Disneyland in one day - and it's pretty easily done at MK.

DL never had the luxury of another gate to use for attractions.

flavious27

1st.....is nyers supposed to be New Yorkers? 2nd.......Universal wipes its with Great Adventure. I got to go there for free for my husbands company picnic last summer and it blew! Nothing even comparable to Universal. The coasters are great but other than that we left and went through the safari three hours after arriving (we had finished everything they had to offer plus lunch). I remember Great Adventure as a blast when I was 8 but as an adult it does not compare to Universal. If all u are looking for is a thrill ride experience than I can totally see why u would pick GA over Universal but dollar for dollar Universal has way more.

The comparison is between IOA and GA. GA is half the price with almost 3x the rides and coasters.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
DL the flagship park? :confused: Again it's the original and provides a fantastic legacy, and is still very popular; but WDW MK is the flagship park in the center of the flagship resort. Most of that has to do with the amount of total resort space.

Paris as second? I thought we were discussing the actual numbers and general public's perspective... your personal opinion isn't shared by many.
Flagship as in upkeep, maintainence, feel, detail, attraction count and upkeep.... the list goes on and on.

No we wern`t discussing actual numbers. Hence my opinion of Paris. A 1.4 billion dollar park that was redesigned from the ground up in every area from layout to attractions to walkways.

Captain Chaos

Okay, let's not turn this into another WDW vs. Universal thread. That's not really the point.

I'd much rather turn this into WDW vs. DL! :drevil:

No, but seriously. I love WDW. Love it. But I do believe we have to make noise if we want to see WDW get the attention it deserves.

I absolutely agree. It's why I (and some of my secret yeti friends) run the DiscoYeti.com blog - to point out things that need to be pointed out, get reports from the inside, and have a sense of humor about it all. Not to bash WDW, but to lovingly encourage WDW management to try harder.

Like a few days ago, I posted a blog entry poking fun at the DL vs. WDW rivalry. Some of it is just to have fun. But take a look at the pictures from DCA's animation building and how those attractions were changed when they moved to WDW. It's enough to make you cry.

No, seriously. :cry:

B. Mode
The Disco Yeti

I check out your blog all the time.. GREAT JOB!!!! I now have my friends calling it Disco Yeti... Too funny... :)

Keep up the great work!

Captain Chaos

Is it bashing to point out that universal half it alot? I appreciate what universal has done in California and Florida, they have made some impressive attractions. But they have made mistakes and questionable decisions. It is not in disney's best interest to eliminate universal, they push them to be better and keeps people in orlando for an extra day or two.

I think all theme parks half aarse is... Disney can do so much more... So can Universal.. So can Great Adventure/Six Flags... But they don't... I take it as part of the industry...

Captain Chaos

I went to GA 5 times this season, thank you season pass!!! I love it... The coasters rock!!! The park gives me the thrills I seek when searching out good coasters... You are right though.. GA is great for the thrills...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom