Burbank....we have a problem!

flavious27

I think all theme parks half aarse is... Disney can do so much more... So can Universal.. So can Great Adventure/Six Flags... But they don't... I take it as part of the industry...

Those darn stockholders, oil princes and the Chinese government always wanting the most profit with the least expense.

flavious27

I went to GA 5 times this season, thank you season pass!!! I love it... The coasters rock!!! The park gives me the thrills I seek when searching out good coasters... You are right though.. GA is great for the thrills...

It is more fun when you avoid the ny crowds on the weekends. The best time I had was physics day.

Captain Chaos

It is more fun when you avoid the ny crowds on the weekends. The best time I had was physics day.

I went once during the week before school got out... Was done in 5 hours... I went weekends after that, during the summer, and once in October and still walked on to each ride... :) Yes, it was croweded, but not as crowded as I pictured... I walked right onto Nitro and El Toro, and that was with Kingda Ka being down most of the day...

cheezbat

Have you ever been to Disneyland?

Overall, it blows the MK straight out of the water in everything but walk-way space (so much of it feels cramped compared to the wide open spaces at the MK).

Twice as many attractions, more to see and do, many more food options, and that's not even counting the history there that makes it extra special. Their Fantasyland makes ours look like a bad joke someone is playing - thankfully, at least that is finally being addressed at MK.

I love WDW, and it's certainly the "flagship" resort as it is the largest and the biggest moneymaker, but if you take that out of the equation and compare it, park to park, Disneyland vs. Magic Kingdom - it's impossible for MK to win, it may cover more physical land but Disneyland simply is the fullest Disney park with the most rides, attractions, and food choices. It would be almost impossible to ride all the major attractions in Disneyland in one day - and it's pretty easily done at MK.

Bravo! I completely agree! Give me Disneyland over the Magic Kingdom any day! (Hey, do you Californians wanna switch Magic Kingdom parks? You will have more walkway space and we'll even throw in our bigger castle! lol)

trr1

Bravo! I completely agree! Give me Disneyland over the Magic Kingdom any day! (Hey, do you Californians wanna switch Magic Kingdom parks? You will have more walkway space and we'll even throw in our bigger castle! lol)
give them the hat at DHS to sweeten the deal!

flavious27

I went once during the week before school got out... Was done in 5 hours... I went weekends after that, during the summer, and once in October and still walked on to each ride... :) Yes, it was croweded, but not as crowded as I pictured... I walked right onto Nitro and El Toro, and that was with Kingda Ka being down most of the day...

Nice.

whylightbulb

Less rides means better quality? If it a themeing thing, it would only take $5 - $10 million in the off-season to bring it up to disney quality. Most of the park is decently themed already.
I'm sorry I couldn't let this one go. Are you serious? $5 to $10 million for the entire park! It might cover a couple of attractions' themeing, depending on your definition of themeing. If you mean simply upgrading interior and exterior scenic elements for a couple attractions then maybe we're in the realm of possibility; but to say they can retheme the entire park to Disney or IOA quality for $10 million is prepostorous!

Buried20KLeague

DL the flagship park? :confused: Again it's the original and provides a fantastic legacy, and is still very popular; but WDW MK is the flagship park in the center of the flagship resort. Most of that has to do with the amount of total resort space.

Paris as second? I thought we were discussing the actual numbers and general public's perspective... your personal opinion isn't shared by many.

It's shared by me... :shrug:

Although I would MAYBE call TDL on par with DLP.

Buried20KLeague

Universal is not making that much profit from $30 wands and $8 cream sodas.

You DO know that people are waiting in lines of crazy lengths for the SHOPS just to have the ability to get inside and spend money... Correct?

Certainly this has led to much higher per-guest spend than would be the normal trend... I wouldn't be surprised if the % increase of guest spend at IOA is in the hundreds, with profit margins increasing exponentially. People are standing in line for a glass of butter beer that costs pennies to make, for example. And those wands probably have a cost between $2 and $3... If that. I'm familiar with Chinese production costs, so I'd call that an educated guess.

flavious27

I'm sorry I couldn't let this one go. Are you serious? $5 to $10 million for the entire park! It might cover a couple of attractions' themeing, depending on your definition of themeing. If you mean simply upgrading interior and exterior scenic elements for a couple attractions then maybe we're in the realm of possibility; but to say they can retheme the entire park to Disney or IOA quality for $10 million is prepostorous!

Retheme the parts of the GA that were never really themed when they were built. With GA having rides and sections added and or renovated, the quality of themeing has increase in the last decade. You can't hide seeing some of the coasters from different parts of the park like disney does in the mk, but GA doesn't need to spend a huge amount to upgrade and renovate to create immersive environments.

whylightbulb

Retheme the parts of the GA that were never really themed when they were built. With GA having rides and sections added and or renovated, the quality of themeing has increase in the last decade. You can't hide seeing some of the coasters from different parts of the park like disney does in the mk, but GA doesn't need to spend a huge amount to upgrade and renovate to create immersive environments.
I have never seen anything at GA that approaches anywhere near the average quality of Disney or the best of IOA. Seeing the coasters from different areas of the park is not too bad, but seeing the poor quality workmanship and materials used to make a lame attempt at themeing is bad. The bottom line is that they don't need to theme Six Flags. They target a local market that will go whether they are immersed in a themed environment or immersed in nothing other than steel. It's too bad that they won't spend the money because studies have shown that themeing can increase the bottom line if done properly.

fosse76

I have never seen anything at GA that approaches anywhere near the average quality of Disney or the best of IOA. Seeing the coasters from different areas of the park is not too bad, but seeing the poor quality workmanship and materials used to make a lame attempt at themeing is bad. The bottom line is that they don't need to theme Six Flags. They target a local market that will go whether they are immersed in a themed environment or immersed in nothing other than steel. It's too bad that they won't spend the money because studies have shown that themeing can increase the bottom line if done properly.

Six Flags Great America near Chicago is the only Six Flags park that can be considered themed...and management in the last decade has been doing it's best to ruin it, for sure!

disneyrcks

I went to GA 5 times this season, thank you season pass!!! I love it... The coasters rock!!! The park gives me the thrills I seek when searching out good coasters... You are right though.. GA is great for the thrills...

I guess I am biased because thrill rides scare the pants off me lol....I went on El Toro and thought I was gonna fly right out of my seat! My husband had a blast when we went (he is a thrill junkie) for me I get more out of WDW and Uni cause I am a sissy :ROFLOL:

TP2000

Flagship as in upkeep, maintainence, feel, detail, attraction count and upkeep.... the list goes on and on.

Martin, I couldn't agree more.

But I think you'll find that folks who live on the East Coast and have only been to WDW find it very hard to accept that Disneyland is so far superior to Magic Kingdom, for all those reasons you cited, and more. It just goes against everything they've ever been told by Florida fanboys living in their Mom's basement in Tampa and lonely WDW bus drivers looking for conversation.

What Magic Kingdom does have over Disneyland is a much bigger castle (that mysteriously has no attraction inside like Anaheim's, Tokyo's or Paris), a decaying yet beloved Carousel of Progress (that was stolen from Disneyland in '73), and very wide walkways.

Everything else stacks up in Disneyland's favor: Ride count, maintenance, plussing, upkeep, rehabs, detail and charm, history, Walt, entertainment offerings, seasonal offerings, restaurants, shopping, etc. Geez, this time of year one look at the park-wide Christmas decorations at Disneyland offers up yet another category where Disneyland blows Magic Kingdom out of the water.

But unless you've actually been to Disneyland, it would be hard to understand that since it's a physically smaller park. I mean really, if your travel agent shows you pictures of those beautiful W-I-D-E walkways at Magic Kingdom, how can you argue with that?! :lol:

TP2000

Have you ever been to Disneyland?

Overall, it blows the MK straight out of the water in everything but walk-way space (so much of it feels cramped compared to the wide open spaces at the MK).

Twice as many attractions, more to see and do, many more food options, and that's not even counting the history there that makes it extra special....

Another thing that always baffles me when I visit Magic Kingdom is the lack of major entertainment compared to Disneyland. Take a look at the two park entertainment calendars with the major offerings (not including bands and minor area entertainment) for this Saturday, as a simple example;

Disneyland 8:00AM to Midnight (Hotel Magic Morning entry at 7:00AM, Main Street USA open until 1:00AM)

Christmas Fantasy Parade - 2:30PM & 5:30PM
Believe In Holiday Magic Fireworks Spectacular - 8:40PM
Fantasmic! - 9:00PM & 10:30PM
Carnation Plaza, Big Band Swing Dancing with The Doc Anello Orchestra - 7:00PM to 11:00PM
Tomorrowland Terrace, Dancing with The Suburban Legends - 7:00PM to 11:30PM
Golden Horseshoe Saloon, Billy Hill & The Hillbillies - Five Shows Scheduled

Magic Kingdom 8:00AM to 1:00AM

Celebrate A Dream Come True Parade - 3:00PM
Wishes Fireworks Spectacular - 10:00PM
Main Street Electrical Parade - 9:00PM and 11:00PM
Dream Along With Mickey - Six Shows Scheduled

It's basically two tired parades and the usual fireworks for the Magic Kingdom this weekend. That's a pretty weak lineup if they want to try and be the "flagship" theme park of the fleet.

There's just a spark and a sparkle missing at Magic Kingdom compared to Disneyland. It shows up in the schedules, and it can also be hard to quantify, and yet it's there. Or, in the case of the Magic Kingdom, not really there.

Captain Chaos

I guess I am biased because thrill rides scare the pants off me lol....I went on El Toro and thought I was gonna fly right out of my seat! My husband had a blast when we went (he is a thrill junkie) for me I get more out of WDW and Uni cause I am a sissy :ROFLOL:

El Toro is now my 2nd favorite coaster... Nitro still is tops, for now.. Next year, I am taking a trip out to Cedar Point.. I'm sure I will have new favorite coasters after that trip...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom