Bugs in Disney World

Yodadudeman

Original Poster
I have gone to Disney World countless times, and of all the times that I have gone, I can count the amount of times I've seen a bee on one hand. There are so many flowers and plants all throughout the parks and hotels, but there are no bees! It is really quite extraordinary.
My question is: How does Disney do this?
I would imagine that they hire some sort of "bug expert" to come in and spray for them. I just wondered if anyone new what Disney does for this.

disneyrcks

They have a massive amount of yellow jackets at their pool bars and outdoor bar by the wave pool at TL. They try to control this particular problem by using some sort of yellow jacket catcher (looks like honey inside a bottle). I don't blame them, it is tough to fight nature. However I have not noticed many bugs in general inside the parks. Have you ever seen the gigantic spiders outside of Epcot? They make massive webs by the walkover bridge from the Boardwalk. I am petrified of spiders but they are so big it is pretty amazing. I have only seen one at a time but they return every year so could be same guy or a different one.

sublimesting

I have gone to Disney World countless times, and of all the times that I have gone, I can count the amount of times I've seen a bee on one hand. There are so many flowers and plants all throughout the parks and hotels, but there are no bees! It is really quite extraordinary.
My question is: How does Disney do this?
I would imagine that they hire some sort of "bug expert" to come in and spray for them. I just wondered if anyone new what Disney does for this.

If there is a bee in Disney it works there. So it uses the utilidoors I would imagine.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Disney has a full time team that deploys pretty much every weapon imaginable to control insects. They use everything from insecticides, natural predators, repellents, traps, preventative maintenance, etc.

Fantasmic

When I was younger, I was eating in WDW somewhere, I think it was Epcot. There was a MASSIVE bee buzzing round, I am petrified of bees, so started freaking out, crying, going nuts... until some American dude said:

"It's a Disney Bee, it won't hurt you cause it's a Disney Bee"

To which I immediatly calmed down and wasn't affected by the bee anymore!

:ROFLOL:

I don't remember seeing any bees or wasps in WDW last time I went...

At least it's not like Alton Towers in England, that Theme Park is PLAGUED by wasps in the summer months. Terrifying.

SleepingMonk

... Have you ever seen the gigantic spiders outside of Epcot? ...

Welcome to Florida!

2234774.jpg

disneyrcks

Welcome to Florida!

2234774.jpg

:lol: Seriously though I would have a heart attack if I saw one of those in my house! My dad and stepmom live in East Orlando and we went to watch fireworks once at Lake Eola (sp?), I was laying on a blanket on the grass and looked down at my foot to find a palmetto bug, as long as the palm of my hand, on my foot. Scarred for life!

LaughingGravy

The lack of bees has to do with a moon of Poosh, Adipose 3, Clom and Pyrovillia missing, though who or why anyone would want to take Clom is beyond me.:ROFLOL:
Someone should check the Medusa Cascade.

Yodadudeman

Original Poster
Disney has a full time team that deploys pretty much every weapon imaginable to control insects. They use everything from insecticides, natural predators, repellents, traps, preventative maintenance, etc.

Makes total sense. I was just wondering what they did. Thank you. :)

Yodadudeman

Original Poster
When I was younger, I was eating in WDW somewhere, I think it was Epcot. There was a MASSIVE bee buzzing round, I am petrified of bees, so started freaking out, crying, going nuts... until some American dude said:

"It's a Disney Bee, it won't hurt you cause it's a Disney Bee"

To which I immediatly calmed down and wasn't affected by the bee anymore! .

That is an absolutely adoreable story. :)

cslafferty

Our very first trip to WDW we stayed at the Contemporary in a tower room. I loved to sit on the balcony and eat breakfast, looking out at the MK. Didn't have to shoo one bug, but had several birds try to swoop in and take my bagel!! Then we spent a few days at the WL. Couldn't stand on the balcony for more than a few seconds without getting swarmed by wasps - my daughter got stung twice! Other than that, I've never noticed flies, bees, gnats, spiders, or gotten as much as a mosquito bite!! We may die from all the chemicals they spray at night, but hey, it's worth it!!:lol:

Laura

Premium Member
Are the bugs as non-existent at Fort Wilderness as they are throughout the rest of the World? I'm looking forward to camping without mosquitos for the first time in my life, but don't want to have false hope. :lol:

yankspy

Are the bugs as non-existent at Fort Wilderness as they are throughout the rest of the World? I'm looking forward to camping without mosquitos for the first time in my life, but don't want to have false hope. :lol:

I stayed there last year and every morning I saw guys with huge tanks on their backs spraying all around. Whatever they sprayed worked because I did not see many bugs at all.

Monorail Lime

Why can't they do anything about the lovebugs? Those horrid little critters are everywhere in the late spring.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Why can't they do anything about the lovebugs? Those horrid little critters are everywhere in the late spring.
The reason is quite simple....there is no good reason to. Lovebugs don't bite, sting, carry disease, etc. Removing them would involve killing their larvae ,which is actually beneficial, and could actually cause problems.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom