Bugs in Disney World

MickeyPeace

Have you ever seen the gigantic spiders outside of Epcot? They make massive webs by the walkover bridge from the Boardwalk. I am petrified of spiders but they are so big it is pretty amazing. I have only seen one at a time but they return every year so could be same guy or a different one.

I haven't seen the spiders but I did get a face full of web walking by a tree on that very stretch between Epcot's International Gateway and the bridge from Boardwalk. I looked over at the tree and it was covered in web. Nothing like I had ever seen on Disney property.

Good thing I was on my way to Epcot because nothing could bother me on the way to a park.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Is there also a silent sound that repels the insects? Kind of like a dog whistle that humans can't hear but bees/bugs can?
There are quite a few companies claiming that there have ultrasonic bug repellers but the general consensus is that they are less than useless. The EPA and the USPS have gone after quite a few companies selling these things.

disneyrcks

I haven't seen the spiders but I did get a face full of web walking by a tree on that very stretch between Epcot's International Gateway and the bridge from Boardwalk. I looked over at the tree and it was covered in web. Nothing like I had ever seen on Disney property.

Good thing I was on my way to Epcot because nothing could bother me on the way to a park.

:lol: I completely agree....I have a great pic of one I will try to post. The web is right when you turn the corner to begin the walk up to the gate. My husband and I often wonder if that is why they have the landscaping across the water in the shape of a spider. But we are probably reading wayyy too much into it lol! But we have gone the last 3 Augusts in a row and this spider was there.

Tinkerbell 8

I have never really noticed bugs in Disney "on stage", however when I went in 2005 with my high school marching band, we were back stage getting ready to perform in the nighttime parade, and the bugs were HORRIBLE back there. There were so many mosquitos that they were crawling into our uniforms, when I took mine off, all these dead mosquitos fell out, it was disgusting. That was the only time I ever saw bugs in the World, I guess they don't try to control the bugs where the employees are.

invader

I've been to the World countless times and I've only seen bees / hornets / whatever they were at one place... Stormalong Bay, and man they were buzzin!

NewfieFan

I've been bitten twice now on my feet/ankles on two different trips. The bites are really small (almost to the point that you wonder if there's anything there to begin with) and they itch like crazy. And almost two months later I'm still itching these darn little bites on my feet. The first time I got them I was hanging at AKL after dark outside by the viewing areas and the second time was one evening while exiting Epcot (I wasn't near any vegetation just walking the concrete path to where you exit towards the busses). The first time I don't remember feeling something bite me but the second time I felt something sharp in my foot. What the heck are those bugs?

I've also had a few mosquito bites but it's only been in recent years. I got a couple one night lying in the hammocks on the beaches of CBR and I also got a couple at MNSSHP while I was waiting to see the 7 Dwarfs! One of the bites I got on my knee was the worst bite I've ever had in my life. The bite was almost the size of my kneecap - it was disgusting! I stopped using the scented lotion that I usually wear and I didn't get anymore mosquito bites that trip (and I was the only one getting them as well, everyone else in my family never saw a bite). I have no idea if it was the lotion or not that was attracking them!?! :shrug:

actioncookbook

Haven't really seen that much of any insect in the parks. Good in that they don't interfere with vacation but bad because the diminishing honey bee population is something to seriously be concerned about. I've read a bunch of articles talking about the issue and things are not good for farmers that need them for pollinating. :lookaroun

Magenta Panther

Every time I go to WDW I see these bugs - I don't know what they are - but they're always...how do I put this delicately? - um, entwined. First time I saw one, er, two, I thought: How odd, a bug with wings on both ends! And then I figured it out. :ROFLOL:

Another creature I've seen a lot of at WDW, at least around the Pop Century, are these cute little lizards. You have to really be careful not to step on them - not that they're everywhere, but they like to scuttle across the sidewalk in front of you. They're a pretty green, and I think they add to the tropical atmosphere.

Haven't seen any of those giant spiders, thank god. I don't think I'm arachnophobic - I'm just not a big fan of long-legged crawly things with no discernible face. :p (Daddy longlegs are the worst).

drysdaleo

I live in Florida so I'm used to the Palmetto bugs, snakes, bees, lizards, etc. But last month at the WL there were bats dive-bombing our heads every night on the walkway from the lodge to the villas. Not just a few, tons of them. I see bats at night in the park at the beach by our house, but it just felt weird at Disney.

Bugs

If you stay at the Boardwalk and go out really early, there are guys with tanks on their backs--a bit like Ghost Busters--spraying--I presume they are "Pest control"!!

rustysgirl

last november, i was waiting in line for the haunted mansion & there were a LOT of wasps flying around. i'm deathly afraid of insects especially stinging ones & lets just say i stood in that line in terror. that was scarier than anything in that mansion haha :lol:

Nemo14

Every time I go to WDW I see these bugs - I don't know what they are - but they're always...how do I put this delicately? - um, entwined. First time I saw one, er, two, I thought: How odd, a bug with wings on both ends! And then I figured it out. :ROFLOL:

You must go either inspring or fall, because those are the famous lovebugs, and they only show up at those times.

Nemo14

I've been bitten twice now on my feet/ankles on two different trips. The bites are really small (almost to the point that you wonder if there's anything there to begin with) and they itch like crazy. And almost two months later I'm still itching these darn little bites on my feet. The first time I got them I was hanging at AKL after dark outside by the viewing areas and the second time was one evening while exiting Epcot (I wasn't near any vegetation just walking the concrete path to where you exit towards the busses). The first time I don't remember feeling something bite me but the second time I felt something sharp in my foot. What the heck are those bugs?

I don't know but I got bit last May on the ankles at AK. I did see a medium size fly at one point (our safari vehicle was stopped due to problem further down the road). Those bites itched for weeks later!

Gene_S

Have you ever seen the gigantic spiders outside of Epcot? .

HPIM0213.JPG

Not Epcot, DHS, Outside Tower of Terror on the wall.

MattyDrums

Lovebugs.jpg

The very first time I was in Disney in the early 90's I remember seeing these CRAZY two headed bugs everywhere. I was told at the time that there was some crazy mad scientist doing 2 headed bug experiments and they got loose. MANY MANY years later I found out they are just love bugs. Haven't seen them since but it was kind of gross.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom