Bugs in Disney World

Mammymouse

Disney has a full time team that deploys pretty much every weapon imaginable to control insects. They use everything from insecticides, natural predators, repellents, traps, preventative maintenance, etc.

I always thought there was this invisible dome over all things Disney at the World to keep out the creepy crawlies and flyers!

Just kidding!

Seriously though, I knew if anyone had the real story it would be Master Yoda - after all you are the Master of truth at Disney!

Yodadudeman

Original Poster
Haven't really seen that much of any insect in the parks. Good in that they don't interfere with vacation but bad because the diminishing honey bee population is something to seriously be concerned about. I've read a bunch of articles talking about the issue and things are not good for farmers that need them for pollinating. :lookaroun

Thank God there aren't any bee farmers in Disney World then. :)

graphite1326

A few years back we stayed at All Star Sports. A couple of days into our trip they sprayed outside our room in a small garden. I then caught what I thought was a cold and had the sniffles the rest of our trip. Funny, when we got home the cold was gone. I have always wondered if I really ahd a cold.

Victoriarose

Welcome to Florida!

2234774.jpg

:eek: That would just about send me into a coma. I am not the biggest fan of spiders at all. Any other animal/insect/reptile on this Earth I can handle. Just not spiders *shudder*

Magenta Panther

You must go either inspring or fall, because those are the famous lovebugs, and they only show up at those times.

I actually have visited WDW in spring and fall - April once, and September or October the other times - so yeah, I guess I've always managed to land myself smack in the middle of Love Bug season. (So that's what they're called - thanks for the info!)

NewfieFan

Every time I go to WDW I see these bugs - I don't know what they are - but they're always...how do I put this delicately? - um, entwined. First time I saw one, er, two, I thought: How odd, a bug with wings on both ends! And then I figured it out. :ROFLOL:
Other posters have told you they're love bugs... but someone told me that they can stain your clothes. I have no idea if this is true or not but I always check the bench before I sit down. Just a tip I thought I would pass on!

I don't know but I got bit last May on the ankles at AK. I did see a medium size fly at one point (our safari vehicle was stopped due to problem further down the road). Those bites itched for weeks later!

So were they little red bumps? And did you get bit multiple times? The second time I got bit I got 5 to 6 bites in a matter of seconds. Unless I had a swarm of them around the one foot... the same bug bit me multiple times!?!

And yes, those bites itch for such a long time! You start to wonder if they'll ever go away...!

Nemo14

So were they little red bumps? And did you get bit multiple times? The second time I got bit I got 5 to 6 bites in a matter of seconds. Unless I had a swarm of them around the one foot... the same bug bit me multiple times!?!

And yes, those bites itch for such a long time! You start to wonder if they'll ever go away...!

Yes, 4 or 5 little red bumps on both ankles. At first I thought it was poison ivy, but it looked more like bites than blisters. And it itched for weeks after!

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
My thoughts exactly. It's not really a bite...but more of a burrow...A little bit of clear nail polish will smother them.
Actually chiggers don't burrow under the skin. They attach much in the same way a tick does but they are so small that you can't see them. Killing them is pretty easy, a single application of nail polish typically does the trick, but the lingering allergic reaction takes a while to go away. Antihistamines and corticosteroid creams are about the only thing that cut into that healing time.

Nemo14

I just read up about chiggers, and that sounds exactly like what I had. And apparently they're more prevalent in the Spring, which is when this happened. Another mystery solved, courtesy of MasterYoda and Unkadug! :sohappy:

wdwjmp239

Every time I go to WDW I see these bugs - I don't know what they are - but they're always...how do I put this delicately? - um, entwined. First time I saw one, er, two, I thought: How odd, a bug with wings on both ends! And then I figured it out. :ROFLOL:
Other posters have told you they're love bugs... but someone told me that they can stain your clothes. I have no idea if this is true or not but I always check the bench before I sit down. Just a tip I thought I would pass on!

Florida has love bugs and LOTS of them in the late spring/early summer and late summer/early fall (though, during this time of year there aren't as many as of them as there are in the late spring/early summer) and they can wreak havoc on your car's exterior if they're not washed off immediately! So, if you're planning on renting a car - make sure it's not white because when you return it, it'll be black!

Love Bugs are less seen in populated areas, but they're still there! So, if you're driving around Downtown Disney, you're windshield will get smeared with a few here and there. But, if you're heading anywhere on I-4 driving through the unpopulated areas where there are woods and orange groves, your car is going to get covered and I mean...COVERED!

During the late spring/early summer and again in the late summer/early fall is a good time to own a car wash business because they are BUSY! When you pull into a gas station, you'll see everyone getting gas and cleaning the dead love bug carcasses off their cars. Watch the ground as you'll be stepping on alot of DEAD love bugs....you'll hear the crunching! :eek:

rob2004fx4

I think the bees are contract workers that work at night when the parks are closed. They might be union as well, I heard that Winnie the Poo was the union rep.

MrMorrowTom

Well besides the occasional bug incidents, I think Disney does a fantastic job of pest control. And any pest control enthusiasts out there Disney is hiring Pest Control Operators right now.

http://careers.disneyparks.jobs/lake-buena-vista/park-operations/pest-control-operators-jobs

Pest Control Operators
Job ID: 315592
Walt Disney World Co. currently has full-time openings for experienced Pest Control Operators.

Responsibilities:

Provide pest management services for Walt Disney World Parks & Resorts.

Required Qualifications:

* A minimum of three years experience in all phases of horticulture and structural pest control, including rodents, crawling and flying pests, wildlife control, mosquito control, ornamental shrub and turf pest management
* The desire to work in Integrated Pest Management situation and an understanding of biological controls
* A willingness to work any shift, including nights and weekends
* A minimum of three years experience in different treatment techniques, including crack and crevice work, baiting and ULV spraying
* A minimum of three years experience in both routine spraying and service calls, to include insect, rodent, and wildlife disease and weed control
©Disney is an equal opportunity employer. Drawing Creativity from Diversity.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom