Bugs in Disney World

CaptainJackNO

I think the reason you see fewer native insects in the parks is due to the foliage that is planted. Careful selection of foliage can help minimize the presence of native insects and pests.

I would imagine areas that have more native foliage will experience a greater presence of native insects and pests. Thus, as stated before, the combination of insecticides and other tactics, in addition to foliage selection probably plays significantly into the presence of insects and pests.

Disneydreamer23

Welcome to Florida!

2234774.jpg

ewe

weird

The lack of bees has to do with a moon of Poosh, Adipose 3, Clom and Pyrovillia missing, though who or why anyone would want to take Clom is beyond me.:ROFLOL:
Someone should check the Medusa Cascade.

I'd say run over to the UK Showcase, but it looks like the Master might have stolen the TARDIS.

Mrs.Skellington

I've been bitten twice now on my feet/ankles on two different trips. The bites are really small (almost to the point that you wonder if there's anything there to begin with) and they itch like crazy. And almost two months later I'm still itching these darn little bites on my feet. The first time I got them I was hanging at AKL after dark outside by the viewing areas and the second time was one evening while exiting Epcot (I wasn't near any vegetation just walking the concrete path to where you exit towards the busses). The first time I don't remember feeling something bite me but the second time I felt something sharp in my foot. What the heck are those bugs?

I've also had a few mosquito bites but it's only been in recent years. I got a couple one night lying in the hammocks on the beaches of CBR and I also got a couple at MNSSHP while I was waiting to see the 7 Dwarfs! One of the bites I got on my knee was the worst bite I've ever had in my life. The bite was almost the size of my kneecap - it was disgusting! I stopped using the scented lotion that I usually wear and I didn't get anymore mosquito bites that trip (and I was the only one getting them as well, everyone else in my family never saw a bite). I have no idea if it was the lotion or not that was attracking them!?! :shrug:

Chiggers. Look it up. They are pretty bad. Can cause serious infections.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
a touch of fingernail polish (clear) applied to the bite will kill the pesky little critter.
Actually this is a bit of an urban legend that I myself believed up until recently. Chiggers or red bugs do not actually attach hard core like ticks do or burrow under the skin. They insert a feeding tube muck like a mosquito and stay for a few days until disturbed. Pretty much as soon as you scratch they are gone. Once you see the evidence from the bite they are long gone. Corticosteroid creams and antihistamine are the best treatments. Nail polish does next to nothing to help.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Actually this is a bit of an urban legend that I myself believed up until recently. Chiggers or red bugs do not actually attach hard core like ticks do or burrow under the skin. They insert a feeding tube muck like a mosquito and stay for a few days until disturbed. Pretty much as soon as you scratch they are gone. Once you see the evidence from the bite they are long gone. Corticosteroid creams and antihistamine are the best treatments. Nail polish does next to nothing to help.

Learn something new everyday!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom