buffet question about tipping

jonesenon4

Original Poster
hey everyone havent been on in a while but have a question about upcoming trip. we are using dining plan again but gratuities are no longer included.we are planning on eating at several buffets and just wondering about tipping.i know at home i dont tip as much at a buffet because all the server actually does is refill drinks.i dont want to be thought of as a cheapskate but i also feel 18% is a bit much just wondering what your opinion is.thanks. next trip dec. 08:xmas:

war eagle 08:sohappy:

WDWFigment

popcorn.gif

bingie

If they keep my drinks full, buss my table each time I go for more and are pleasurable - I don't mind tipping 18%.

Disneykidder

Yeah...it kind of stinks not having the gratuity included in the DP anymore.

But, just like any restaurant...you should tip what you feel the server should get. There is no rule book that says you "have" to give 18% but if you feel the service rendered deserves it, then so beit. We usually just double the tax in a round number so it does end up being about 18-20%. But, that is if service is good.

All in all, do what you feel is right for your service.:)

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
I'm sure you are probably not surprised at the split decision you are getting on the question. Clearly many at Disney, and at buffets in general do not tip. From the etiquette perspective however, the guideline is 10%. Of course that is adjusted as with any tip based on service. If you have to beg for a glass of water of another napkin...then do what you must.

Ausdaddy

I'm sure you are probably not surprised at the split decision you are getting on the question. Clearly many at Disney, and a buffets in general do not tip. From the etiquette perspective however, the guideline is 10%. Of course that is adjusted as with any tip based on service. If you have to beg for a glass of water of another napkin...then do what you must.

Yeah, I don't think this is all that controversial. The rule of thumb on a buffet is 10%.

daliseurat

I thought most buffets already added in the tip. But if that's NOT the case, just tip for the service you got. We've had terrific servers who made sure we were always taken care of. And frankly, she did more to take care of us than most waiters do. My rule is simple. Good service=good tip. Lousy service=lousy tip. BOMA in particular had VERY good service when we were there.

tigsmom

My rule for a buffet is the same for any restaurant - 10% minimum. If I feel the service warrants more then I adjust accordingly.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
I will restate I belief I have long pronounced....everyone should work in food service for at least a year stint before venturing off on careers and the like. The world (at least our part) would be a much different place.

I agree that everyone should work in a service industry at some point in their life. The earlier the better.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
I will restate I belief I have long pronounced....everyone should work in food service for at least a year stint before venturing off on careers and the like. The world (at least our part) would be a much different place.

Yes indeed it certainly would have helped in preparing my rations in the field, theres definitely a knack to that boil in the bag.

Silvermist

We always tip 20% (more for outstanding service) for table service and usually depending on the buffet, will leave a minimum of 10%. It depends entirely on the effort and courtesy we receive. Not all buffets are the same. If I went to Golden Corral :hurl: and they offered me tea once, I would probably leave 10%, but at Boma for example, our experience has been that they provide a great deal of quality service even though it is considered a buffet so we leave closer to the full amount we would at any other restaurant.

We always try to take into consideration how busy it is and how hard everyone is working. If it's slow and we're just pretty much ignored, we usually go with less. If it's obviously busy and it's clear they're doing their best to keep up, we try to be very understanding and forgiving with no negative impact to the tip.

Wilt Dasney

I think setting hard percentages can be tricky. There's a buffet near work that I like to hit for lunch. Costs $6.50, since I usually drink water. I tend to leave 2 bucks tip, which seems minimal to me, but comes out to about 30%.

Using the 10% rule, I should leave 65 cents on the table for the lady who keeps me plied with water and takes away my used plates. If I did that, I have to think she'd wonder why I didn't just keep it. :lol:

Iknewagirlnamed

It amazes me how many cheap people there are. If any server gets less than 15%, honestly 20%, it is an insult. Especially if they do a good job. 20% should be the minimum buffet or not. They still refill drinks, take plates away, make sure the food is alright, etc. They still have side work and make anywhere from $2.13/hr to $3.50.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom