buffet question about tipping

CanadianMegan

I am going to assume that I know which country you are talking about and let me say that that is the tip of of the iceberg. The latest is that many restaurants are making their servers cover credit card fees. Every time a consumer uses a credit card there is a fee attached by the credit card company that the business has to pay.(you probably know that already). Some restaurants are passing that fee on to the waitstaff.

How is that LEGAL?

KingStefan

I am going to assume that I know which country you are talking about and let me say that that is the tip of of the iceberg. The latest is that many restaurants are making their servers cover credit card fees. Every time a consumer uses a credit card there is a fee attached by the credit card company that the business has to pay.(you probably know that already). Some restaurants are passing that fee on to the waitstaff.

How is that LEGAL?

It doesn't sound legal. Unless they are just taking the portion of the fee charged for recovering the TIP amount. That would be legal, I guess. And one could argue fair. It still is kinda stinky, though.

yankspy

How is that LEGAL?

It doesn't sound legal. Unless they are just taking the portion of the fee charged for recovering the TIP amount. That would be legal, I guess. And one could argue fair. It still is kinda stinky, though.
It is actually not legal in N.Y. and California. It is becoming more and more of a standard in Corporate restaurants. I am not sure if the fee is for the recovery of the tip.

disneydiva72

You are right. I just checked an Ohana's receipt I had and the tax is 6.5%. This is a common mistake. Many people forget that sales tax is regulated by each state. Doubling the tax is common because many states have a rate of 7.5%-9.5%. They are used to doing this at home and so many will continue the habit while on vacation. In most cases, I do not think that people do it to tip lower on purpose, I just think they do it out of habit.

You are absolutely correct in my case, I do it out of habit, I will have to be more aware when I'm at Disney to remember that the tax is lower in Fla.

yankspy

You are absolutely correct in my case, I do it out of habit, I will have to be more aware when I'm at Disney to remember that the tax is lower in Fla.
That was a common habit back home in N.Y. I remember always doing doing it. (I am assuming from your signature that that is where you are from).

Phonedave

It is actually not legal in N.Y. and California. It is becoming more and more of a standard in Corporate restaurants. I am not sure if the fee is for the recovery of the tip.

I can understand it, I can even see how it adds up for a corporate chain, but really, thats beeing very very cheap in my opinion.

Credit Card companies charge a transaction fee, but compaines pay it because if they did not let customers use credit cards, then they would loose business. It is sort of like the fee you pay for the credit card companies providing that service. Now they still get the service, but they are making the wait staff pay for it (or a portion of it)

-dave

KingStefan

I think only New Yorkers get that joke.:lol: ...

And maybe Jerseyites. :lol:

I'm from Jersey. You from Jersey?

So funny: The barbershop quartet on mainstreet sang Happy Birthday to DW last year, but first they asked where we were from, and when DW say "NJ", he came back with "what exit", and DW said without missing a beat "168". They thought that was the funniest thing!:ROFLOL:

yankspy

and maybe jerseyites. :lol:

i'm from jersey. You from jersey?

so funny: The barbershop quartet on mainstreet sang happy birthday to dw last year, but first they asked where we were from, and when dw say "nj", he came back with "what exit", and dw said without missing a beat "168". They thought that was the funniest thing!:roflol:

:lol:

Phonedave

And maybe Jerseyites. :lol:

I'm from Jersey. You from Jersey?

So funny: The barbershop quartet on mainstreet sang Happy Birthday to DW last year, but first they asked where we were from, and when DW say "NJ", he came back with "what exit", and DW said without missing a beat "168". They thought that was the funniest thing!:ROFLOL:

LOL

I have done that too, but most of the time it just throws them off.

CM: "What exit?"

Me: "18E"

CM "Oh, um, you actualy know the exit, I thought that was like a joke thing ?"

Woo hoo, NJ :)

(Oh, and good to see you live in the same county I do :D )

-dave

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom