Buena Vista Street (2012)

skimbob

TP do you know what will happen to the Zephyr train? I am sure it will be gone soon. I am glad for all these posts because living in Northern CA I can't run down to see all these changes to a park I know so well. I am sure by October when I visit again I really won't recognize the place. I am excited to see the changes. I am hoping the entrance will look more like HS minus the iconic hat.

Thanks

TP2000

TP do you know what will happen to the Zephyr train? I am sure it will be gone soon.

I'm afraid the train will be gone. It's a 1950's classic streamliner (I seem to remember the locomotive was a 1954 model, and the cars were built by Budd in the early 50's), and it just doesn't fit the 1923 theme of Buena Vista Street. It also doesn't show up anywhere on the blueprints or sketches of Buena Vista Street. I'm afraid it's gone, and likely will be torn out any day now.

It's a beautiful train though, and custom built into that location. So lets' hope Disney keeps it and can reuse it again in some future project. But where?!?

skimbob

This is just one of many changes we will see. I do hope they reuse it somewhere else down the road. I am curious to see all the changes at Soarin as well with turning that area into a National Park. Before long I won't recognize any of the park. It will be like visiting for the first time.
Thanks again TP.

KingdomofDreams

You'd just need to imagine it without the graffiti, and with monorails zipping over it instead of delivery trucks. :lol:

Are there any plans for a monorail stop in DCA?

This is just one of many changes we will see. I do hope they reuse it somewhere else down the road. I am curious to see all the changes at Soarin as well with turning that area into a National Park. Before long I won't recognize any of the park. It will be like visiting for the first time.
Thanks again TP.

Is there somewhere to see the concept art for Soarin' area?

Thanks! :)

TP2000

Are there any plans for a monorail stop in DCA?

Nope. At least not without a dramatic re-routing and extension of the current circa 1961 beamway.

Is there somewhere to see the concept art for Soarin' area?

Not really. There is no current official plan to redo the Condor Flats area. However, some Imagineers in interviews have dropped hints that it's a contender for Phase Two of DCA's makeover later this decade. And Al Lutz has some great WDI sources who have told him that creative plans are in early stages to expand the National Park theme of the Golden State area into Condor Flats, including adding animatronics to Grizzly River Run and adding a train ride and/or other new attractions to the area.

A brief glimpse of the National Park theme taking over the current high-desert airfield theme of Condor Flats could be glimpsed in a recent WDI sketch of DCA expansion concepts. This picture, and the reports of rumors from Lutz and a few hints by Imagineers, plus some Imagineers recently seen placing plywood cutouts around Grizzly Peak where they would install animatronics, is all we currently have to go on.

Forested "National Park" version of Condor Flats, per WDI artwork
grizzly-peak-concept.jpg

KingdomofDreams

Nope. At least not without a dramatic re-routing and extension of the current circa 1961 beamway.

Not really. There is no current official plan to redo the Condor Flats area. However, some Imagineers in interviews have dropped hints that it's a contender for Phase Two of DCA's makeover later this decade. And Al Lutz has some great WDI sources who have told him that creative plans are in early stages to expand the National Park theme of the Golden State area into Condor Flats, including adding animatronics to Grizzly River Run and adding a train ride and/or other new attractions to the area.

A brief glimpse of the National Park theme taking over the current high-desert airfield theme of Condor Flats could be glimpsed in a recent WDI sketch of DCA expansion concepts. This picture, and the reports of rumors from Lutz and a few hints by Imagineers, plus some Imagineers recently seen placing plywood cutouts around Grizzly Peak where they would install animatronics, is all we currently have to go on.

Forested "National Park" version of Condor Flats, per WDI artwork
grizzly-peak-concept.jpg

Wow! Thank you so much! Honestly, I wouldn't want to visit the park in the midst of all this major construction, but it's so fascinating to watch it all unfold through your updates and all the great pics posted by Nemofinder. You guys are amazing for sharing it with everyone. Every time I see a new pic or read about the progress, I get more excited to see it all firsthand next year!

TP2000

Wow! Thank you so much! Honestly, I wouldn't want to visit the park in the midst of all this major construction, but it's so fascinating to watch it all unfold through your updates and all the great pics posted by Nemofinder. You guys are amazing for sharing it with everyone.

Don't forget about sponono88, an expert at linking to current construction pics! :wave:

It really is amazing to see it all unfold. This whole thing is totally unprecedented in the history of Disney theme parks, or theme parks in general. Especially for a Disney theme park that is only 10 years old.

It will certainly be nice when it's all done a year from now, but it's a lot of fun to watch it all happen.

sponono88

Original Poster

Here's a new video of DLR's President George Kalogridis at the "What's Next" presentation. Included in the presentation is a very cool CG fly-through of Buena Vista Street. In it you can catch a glimpse of the re-themed bridge.

George K. also provided further confirmation about the Carthay Circle Theatre: it will feature a table-service restaurant and lounge, expected to be the premiere dining location of the park.

[youtube]DLKD5rLhlas[/youtube]

dweezil78

Not to knock Buena Vista Street and the new street car, which both look nice -- but can't one get a very similar experience for free by visiting The Grove or the Americana at Brand?

I'm partially kidding here, but between the TLM's comparisons with Borders and Muvico theaters and the similarities I see between Buena Vista St. and The Grove, a good chunk of DCA's updates seem to be taking their cue from modern day shopping centers...

Enchantâmes

Not to knock Buena Vista Street and the new street car, which both look nice -- but can't one get a very similar experience for free by visiting The Grove or the Americana at Brand?

I'm partially kidding here, but between the TLM's comparisons with Borders and Muvico theaters and the similarities I see between Buena Vista St. and The Grove, a good chunk of DCA's updates seem to be taking their cue from modern day shopping centers...

This is why Florida can't have nice things.

KingdomofDreams

I think it looks really quite beautiful and a huge improvement over the original DCA imo.

Let's just hope you never end up with a large blue hat in front of the Carthay :lookaroun

Enchantâmes

I think it looks really quite beautiful and a huge improvement over the original DCA imo.

Let's just hope you never end up with a large blue hat in front of the Carthay :lookaroun

The real Carthay was demolished ages ago, so Disney has every right to include it in anyway for they are recreating what should have been a historic monument.

dweezil78

The real Carthay was demolished ages ago, so Disney has every right to include it in anyway for they are recreating what should have been a historic monument.

Just because they can doesn't mean they should. Not sure if you are joking, but tackying-up a historic monument by putting a giant hat in front of it kind of defeats the purpose.

And besides, it's not like this is the first recreation of the Carthay that Disney has done...

2VPTc.jpg

Enchantâmes

Just because they can doesn't mean they should. Not sure if you are joking, but tackying-up a historic monument by putting a giant hat in front of it kind of defeats the purpose.

And besides, it's not like this is the first recreation of the Carthay that Disney has done...

2VPTc.jpg

I wasn't talking about the hat... nor did I say it was the first time they were recreating it. People need to chill out. :rolleyes:

sponono88

Original Poster
The new main entrance gates are almost ready, scaffolding recently came down from the top portion of the structure (photos by Macro)

IMG0870-M.jpg

IMG0845-M.jpg

i-mf74W5B-XL.jpg

Inside the park, the main corridor through the park is now blocked by construction walls. Guests must take a detour through Condor Flats or Hollywood Pictures Backlot:

IMG_6058.jpg

IMG_6098.jpg

IMG_6494.jpg

Carthay Circle Theatre construction progress

IMG_6039.jpg

IMG_6047.jpg

source: MiceChat's Dateline Disneyland

sponono88

Original Poster
Buena Vista Street construction update (6/27)

Work continues on the new Pan-Pacific themed gates

IMG_7110.jpg

More scaffolding has been added to the Carthay Circle Theatre

IMG_7162.jpg

A view from the Monorail -- the Red Car Trolley tracks have been installed in front of the theater

IMG_7828.jpg

The pump house for the Carthay Circle fountain

IMG_7183.jpg

Another view of the new structure

IMG_7747.jpg

All pictures from MiceChat's Dateline Disneyland update.

Jakester

I must find money in a few years to take a trip from Florida to California to experience Disneyland for the 1st time and see the new reimagined California Adventure

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom