Buena Vista Street (2012)

Yenfid

My one and only trip to Disneyland was in 2005. Everyone talked how bad DCA was. I loved it. I am surprised on such a major overhaul of the park. I will miss the California out front. And the Sun in Sunshine Plaza was the Icon of the Park. I'm sure it will be missed. But I do like the idea of retheming the place to the 1920/30s, that just make sense to me.

sponono88

Original Poster
Late last night after park closing, walls were put up around the letters as workers prepare their removal. MiceChat poster drseang snapped these final photos of the iconic CALIFORNIA letters -

IMG_5996.jpg

IMG_5979.jpg

This morning, the letters are completely hidden behind walls:

http://twitpic.com/3n10e0

The brand-new entrance turnstyles should be ready by October, and that's when these walls are expected to come down. Also, walls around the Sunshine Plaza courtyard will expand outward and will now stretch across the parade route at the entrance.

TP2000

Amazing pictures!

Al Lutz has quite an extensive write up today of all the plans for increased walls this month shutting down major walkways and parade routes. SoCal'ers and out of towners alike should check it out on Miceage for the latest scoop, as it's all kind of overwhelming.

This is the most extreme thing Disney has ever done to a theme park. Ever.

sponono88

Original Poster
The center section of the turnstyle entrance has already been torn down. Here's the latest look at the entrance, taken by MiceChat member MacDaddy:

1-5-111.jpg

sponono88

Original Poster
New walls also means new art! Here's a look at the new artwork panels from the construction walls - these were posted on Twitter via @ryosh808 and @MacDaddyPhoto

1-5-1111.jpg

1-5-115.jpg

1-5-114.jpg

A rendering of the new entrance

buenavistaart.jpg

Classic Disney characters adorn the walls, prepared with tools to help out with the construction

1-5-116.jpg

1-5-119.jpg

The 3 Little Pigs, busy at work!

buenavistaart5.jpg

sponono88

Original Poster
The entrance isn't closed off to guests yet. But once it does close down sometime in September, guests will be routed backstage behind Soarin' to enter the park.

Dateline Disneyland tweeted these pictures today. New wall art gives a preview of the upcoming dining/shops that will be available at Buena Vista St!

A billboard announces the Red Car Trolley service

bvart6.jpg

This billboard announces Walt Disney's first full-length feature film at the Carthay Circle Theatre. Possible nightly showings of SW and 7 Dwarves? Hm..

bvart5.jpg

A look at the upcoming establishments and shops at BVS:

bvart1.jpg

bvart2.jpg

bvart3.jpg

7.jpg

bvart8.jpg

bvart9.jpg

Andy01

I absolutely love every single piece of wall art in DCA! They've really put so much effort into it, and I love the old-fashioned theme.

Magenta Panther

Oh man, I love those walls - especially the one with the picture of my boy Oswald!

But I wonder...it was rumored that a new statue of Walt and Mickey was going to be placed in the new DCA, one that portrayed Walt as a young man coming to California, and Mickey in his classic, button-eyed vintage look. Is that still happening?

sponono88

Original Poster
It was more than a rumor actually -- Disney released these images of the "Early Partners" statue back in 2007 when the park expansion was first announced:

Newpartners1.gif

At this point I am not 100% sure if it's still happening, but we'll probably get confirmation when the Blue Sky Cellar exhibit is updated on Jan. 27th. It's been reported that the new exhibit will include more details on Buena Vista St., maybe then we'll get to see if it's still in the plans.

TP2000

It was more than a rumor actually -- Disney released these images of the "Early Partners" statue back in 2007 when the park expansion was first announced:

Newpartners1.gif

At this point I am not 100% sure if it's still happening, but we'll probably get confirmation when the Blue Sky Cellar exhibit is updated on Jan. 27th.

I'm sure it's still happening, because there are several places where it could go. There are three separate "public square" type areas in the Buena Vista Street project that seem custom made for a statue.

• There's the 'town square' type plaza just as you enter the park through the turnstiles.
  • There's the circular roundabout in the southeast corner of the development, where the trolley circles around and then heads towards Hollywoodland. (Although in many sketches, that circular plaza holds a nice fountain in the middle.)
  • And finally there's the rather formal park-like plaza in front of the Elias & Company department store facing the Carthay Circle Theater.

My bet would be on that town square area near the very front of the park. But I bet you're right sponono88, when the updated Buena Vista Street exhibit goes into the Blue Sky Cellar I'm sure there will be more detailed info available.

sponono88

Original Poster
Yeah, I think early sketches placed the statue at the front of the park right in front of the turnstiles. But like you said there's other places they could put it. It's a very nice idea so hopefully it comes to fruition come 2012 :)

From today's Dateline Disneyland update,

The park entrance is looking rather bare in the guide maps -- Almost all traces of Sunshine Plaza, except the bridge, have been erased

dcamapinside.jpg

This is what the map originally showed

dcamapinsidebefore.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom