Budget to Remove Wand Approved for this Fall

fizzle75

I'm interested in how much it'll actually cost to remove this eyesore. It can't be more than 100000 bucks if that much.

And for those who can't understand why we'd want it down. It's as if someone painted a mustache on the Mona Lisa and we wanted to spend the money to remove the horrible mustache and restore her to her original glory. Someone would be bound to say, she always looked quite manly anyhow so the mustache doesn't destory that much. The painting is still there.

To me the original SSE was always a work of art and its been defaced. The other reason that the wand ruins the park is because the entire park was designed and implemented around the symetrical value of SSE. The wand makes the whole park just seem off balance.

And for those who think removing the wand will make it look like a boring old golf ball you can't be further from the truth. Back in the day before the wand there were some amazing light effects that took place on it and were constantly changing. While it still gets some light effects at night they're nothing like they once were because the wand blocks too many lights for the use. Just wait, you'll see what the rest of us have known for a long time.
I'm not trying to be disrespectful but I dare say that alot of us have no concept of "symetrical value" and therefore don't notice that the park is seemingly "off balance". :wave:

I may be wrong though, maybe I'm the only ignorant one!:lol:

ToTBellHop

Original Poster
This site is hilarious. For seven years, we have been forced to deal with more whining and moaning about the Wand than anyone should have to endure, and when it is finally going to come down, folks have the audacity to criticize Disney for "wasting money." To quote John Stossel, "Give me a break." Ludicrous, and it is stuff like this that has given Disney an out to keep the wand for far too long. Projects to beautify our park are always worthwhile, and it's what makes Disney special. They could also spend their paint budget on E-Tickets, but then we'd all complain about the chipping paint. Be happy that your prayers have been answered by a park VP who actually cares enough about his park to make a stand for it, and a company that is returning to a willingness to spend money on the extras. Those little extras have always amazed me (look at the new HM construction wall--absolutely unnecessary but fantastic), and there have been fewer and fewer of them recently. The tide is turning.

And we complain.

jakeman

Ignorance loves company I guess....bacause you can count me in there also.

I could careless about the wand either way. There never was a "spirit of EPCOT Center" to me. It was all just marketing.

Even the original park, in my opinion, was so far off from the original concept that it's just another theme park. It is the facts and technology to Magic Kingdom's fiction and fantasy.

That may make me shallow and small minded...but those are two states I prefer when I am on vacation. :lol:

ToTBellHop

Original Poster
Ignorance loves company I guess....bacause you can count me in there also.

I could careless about the wand either way. There never was a "spirit of EPCOT Center" to me. It was all just marketing.

Even the original park, in my opinion, was so far off from the original concept that it's just another theme park. It is the facts and technology to Magic Kingdom's fiction and fantasy.

That may make me shallow and small minded...but those are two states I prefer when I am on vacation. :lol:
If there was never a spirit of Epcot that has been lost, you may have missed the message in the 1980s. Luckily, some of that message is returning (I would argue Mission: SPACE has it, actually). Spaceship Earth is having it invested, as well.

erasure fan1

I just can't wait for all the whiners to visit Epcot after its down, and then realize "oh, I don't even really notice".
I dont know about that. For a lot of people the wand is an eyesore. Im included in that thought and I will notice it gone as Im heading into old key west before I even get to the park.

jakeman

I by no means want to belittle those that truely believe the in message or spirit of EPCOT Center.

I understood the message but I saw it for (in my opnion) what it was...a theme.

I also understand your point with Mission:Space and agree that this theme is being sporadically reapplied.

I think we may be speaking of the same thing here but I am not as passionate about it and therefore don't feel terms like spirit and message should be applied to it.

Again all my opinion.

jayhawk2307

I'll believe it when I see a picture of SE w/ no wand. Until then it will stay up there. Really just think of all the time, work, money, and trouble Disney will have to go through just to remove a wand that I personaly don't have a problem with. In my opinion it's just not worth it.

WDWFigment

All of this whining is ridiculous. You are free to hold your opinions about the wand, but to assert that you would have rather seen the money spent on improving AK, MK, or MGM, don't think that this money would mean an E-ticket, or even another attraction, in one of the other parks. Seriously, are any of you so foolish to think a 1-3 day removal project is going to cost the same in equipment, R&D, labor, supplies, and marketing as a six month construction project?!? So you want the wand to stay so you can see something else added to the parks? Good, hope you enjoy your new DVC kiosk outside of E:E.

Sherrybaby

That's true. I just thought maybe, the wand being such a big deal and all.

It's only a big deal to Disney fanatics. Do you think that the average Joe walks into the park and says,"Ew, that wand looks awful!"? No. Period. The average guest is awed by the splendor of Epcot and can't wait to start their experience.

Trust me, 99.9999999% of the guests could care less if there is a wand or not.

Sherry

Vernonpush

All of this whining is ridiculous. You are free to hold your opinions about the wand, but to assert that you would have rather seen the money spent on improving AK, MK, or MGM, don't think that this money would mean an E-ticket, or even another attraction, in one of the other parks. Seriously, are any of you so foolish to think a 1-3 day removal project is going to cost the same in equipment, R&D, labor, supplies, and marketing as a six month construction project?!? So you want the wand to stay so you can see something else added to the parks? Good, hope you enjoy your new DVC kiosk outside of E:E.
:lol:

And I'm sure that the steel from the structure will be sold to an iron scrapyard, thus recouping some of the cost.

Maybe all you "wand lovers" should start saving up to buy your "Epcot Stars" from MouseSurplus.:lol:

Sherrybaby

Eh, if it goes it goes, if it stays it stays.

Most of you are too worked up over it.

Taking it down isn't going to bring back the old 'spirit of EPCOT' or whatever it is that you think you want. With or without it, the park is going to continue to drift more out of the original ideas of the park as the more 'entertaining' attractions continue to be widely successful.

I bet the SSE refurb does more to make the ride more entertaining then it does to make it more educational.

Are you all then going to complain that SSE is against the 'spirit of EPCOT'?

Even if this is true and the wand comes down, 'fans' fighting against Epcot isn't going to end.

I agree 100%--there are so many more impotant issues than the wand to be taking up bandwidth at WDW Magic. I just don't understand why it's such a big deal. The wand isn't hurting anyone and you see it for a few minutes when you walk into the park then it's gone. Period.

Ok ok, you can see it from various places from outside Epcot but that's the point. I'm done reading wand threads it's really getting boring and truly people are getting hysterical.

And you are right, Champion--I don't think that the SSE refurb is going to make people that happy either. Siemens is certainly going to try to entertain people rather than educate. Take it with a grain of salt as I'm sure everyone will, but I think that only good thing most people will say about the refurb is how nice it is that the tracks don't bump as much anymore!

Sherry

Vernonpush

I agree 100%--there are so many more impotant issues than the wand to be taking up bandwidth at WDW Magic. I just don't understand why it's such a big deal. The wand isn't hurting anyone and you see it for a few minutes when you walk into the park then it's gone. Period.

Ok ok, you can see it from various places from outside Epcot but that's the point. I'm done reading wand threads it's really getting boring and truly people are getting hysterical.

And you are right, Champion--I don't think that the SSE refurb is going to make people that happy either. Siemens is certainly going to try to entertain people rather than educate. Take it with a grain of salt as I'm sure everyone will, but I think that only good thing most people will say about the refurb is how nice it is that the tracks don't bump as much anymore!

Sherry
I hope they don't bump anymore.:lookaroun :lol:

ToTBellHop

Original Poster
It's only a big deal to Disney fanatics. Do you think that the average Joe walks into the park and says,"Ew, that wand looks awful!"? No. Period. The average guest is awed by the splendor of Epcot and can't wait to start their experience.

Trust me, 99.9999999% of the guests could care less if there is a wand or not.

Sherry
you realize, of course, that you just said 99.9999999% of guests care at a level at least slightly more than their minimum level of care?

Sorry...the phrase "could care less" is a pet peeve of mine. It's "couldn't care less."

darthjohnny

I don't know.

If these rumors are true, than it is somewhat disappointing.

The wand adds the Disney magic to the coldness of the geopshere that is Spaceship Earth. If they take down the wand now, it'll lose some of its pizazz.

ToTBellHop

Original Poster
did all the "I hate the Wand! It makes me cry!" people decide to take a vacation this week or something? We have complainers coming out the wood-work today! Don't worry, be happy, mon.

yodathefrog

I fall on the side of loving the fact that the wand is coming down. I relate the whole wand thing to the "Castle Cake" for the 25th Birthday of Magic Kingdom. Alot of people came to the park and where amused by the fact that it had been added to. Yet, this flew in the face of the original purpose of the castle. It was designed to be as is, not to be plussed in any way. SSE was designed to be a giant geodesic sphere, and I believe it is still one of a kind. That's enough...it alone makes it unique and awe inspiring. The wand was added purely as a promotional gimic for the 2000 Celebration, much like the castle cake exterior for the 25th. Sure, first time guests probably weren't as upset as long time Disney fans...I remember being very indifferent about the cake. But, when they took it off, as I'm sure whil happen with SSE...there was this "oooohhhh, that's why those people wanted it removed," kind of feeling. The landmarks are the face of the parks. Rides can change, times can change, but these things are what people remember.

SirNim

Here it comes!

From Epcot at Walt Disney World near Orlando, Florida!

The Internet's most riveting piece of architectural tackiness!

The fabulous, soon-to-be-demolished Disembodied Mickey Hand Holding a Magic Wand!

Come on down!

I can't wait to see rotating lighting color schemes on SSE once again!

ToTBellHop

Original Poster
Here it comes!

From Epcot at Walt Disney World near Orlando, Florida!

The Internet's most riveting piece of architectural tackiness!

The fabulous, soon-to-be-demolished Disembodied Mickey Hand Holding a Magic Wand!

Come on down!

I can't wait to see rotating lighting color schemes on SSE once again!
it's been so long that I had almost forgotten that Spaceship Earth used to do that lol. I remain convinced that there was always a way to continue doing that with the Wand, given the proper budget. Maybe we'll see a lighting upgrade, now, much like we did after the Castle Cake was removed.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom