BTMRR No longer shakin?

Parrain

Original Poster
We just returned from Magic Kingdom and I noticed that the large rocks when you enter the tunnel on the train were not shaking... Were they just broken at the time i rode, or is this permanent? I thought they just refurbished this ride? Anyone know if they willl be rumbling again? That was a really cool effect and added to the atmosphere of the attraction.

alissafalco

This seems to be permanent. Apparently they did stop working at some point, and then there was an accident at the BTMRR in Paris Disneyland. The rocks fell on people, so now there are no plans to bring the shaking rocks back. :( I know, it was a cool effect.

ImagineerDude

We just returned from Magic Kingdom and I noticed that the large rocks when you enter the tunnel on the train were not shaking... Were they just broken at the time i rode, or is this permanent? I thought they just refurbished this ride? Anyone know if they willl be rumbling again? That was a really cool effect and added to the atmosphere of the attraction.
I noticed this on my trip last year in July, this year in July the same thing was wrong. I thought they were going to fix it in the refurb, but apparently not :(

tinkerblonde11

well that's upsetting! That was one of my favorite parts of the ride :/
I haven't been to WDW in so long, it's these little things that I'll miss the most

MerlinTheGoat

Nothing fell on anyone.

One of the Paris rocks fell onto the track and was run over by the train.

After this it was decided all BTMs should have static rocks, despite them working fine otherwise since 1979.
Does this include the ones at Disneyland CA and even Tokyo as well?

I was sad to see this effect (among others) missing since I started going to WDW again after more than 10 years, just one of many things that gave a classic ride its charm. That plus those possums they saw fit to remove for no apparent reason as well.

Even digitally mapped projection textures (ala the castle show) on the sides of the cavern walls to simulate shaking rocks would look better than the completely static scene there now (it might even look half decent with low light levels). The earthquake effect is basically lost without these simple effects. I find it especially hilarious that the "falling rock projection" is apparently playing backwards (so the rocks fall up) even after a lengthy refurb.

It's nice to have the geysers back at least. Shame that for such a long refurb though not everything returned.

alissafalco

Nothing fell on anyone.

After this it was decided all BTMs should have static rocks, despite them working fine otherwise since 1979.

ok, the rocks fell on the track, but the train hit the rocks and pieces sprayed up and hit guests, resulting in 5 people getting hurt. It was originally reported that the rocks fell on the people.
http://www.dlp.info/News/2011/05/big-thunder-mountain-accident-more-information-or-just-rumors-2/

WDWFREAK53

Even digitally mapped projection textures (ala the castle show) on the sides of the cavern walls to simulate shaking rocks would look better than the completely static scene there now (it might even look half decent with low light levels). The earthquake effect is basically lost without these simple effects. I find it especially hilarious that the "falling rock projection" is apparently playing backwards (so the rocks fall up) even after a lengthy refurb.

It's nice to have the geysers back at least. Shame that for such a long refurb though not everything returned.

That would be great...you could even have it look as if rocks/sand was falling. (A nice "Davy Jones" affect with falling rocks to make it seem as if you're going to get hit with rocks as you go into a tunnel would be cool too)

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Ironically, Paris recovered well. Fibre optic gold still pouring, but with strobe dynamite explosions and lots of smoke both above the track and in the mine cave on the left. And plenty of shaking lamps.

janoimagine

Stupidity. Utter. Total. Complete.

Sadly this is what has happened in the sue happy entitlement mentality society we live in (Was that too many adjectives???) It seems like their is a lawyer on every corner now a days just waiting to take up another frivilous lawsuit striking fear in the hearts of corporate america and justifying the need for their rediculously overpriced legal departments.

Kuhio

And plenty of shaking lamps.
Yes, but... what if a shaking lamp were to fall on a guest? Or what if -- in a bit of tragic irony -- the falling-rock projector fell on a train!
eek.gif

Mickey_777

However, there is now a shadow projection thing, going backwards.

Has the projection not been corrected yet? I haven't heard anything.

Nothing fell on anyone.

That's just the world we live in now. Just like the warning labels indicating coffee is hot ( o_O ) so Mcdonalds won't get sued for a cool 5 mill when some moron spill it on himself.

ParentsOf4

Nothing fell on anyone.

Yes, to avoid this type of incident in the future, Disney has decided that the BTMRR train will not actually pull out of the station anymore. Instead, you'll be allowed to sit in it for the previous duration of the ride and then be asked to exit the train. (Sorry, I don't normally write sarcastic posts but simply couldn't resist this one!)

aladdin2007

I think the incident is just an excuse to be cheap and not spend money to fix and or replace it with a different effect. TDO is thrilled that didnt have to be included in the recent refurb Im sure.

Interesting...just read on miceage that Disneylands BTTMR will be closed for most of 2013 for a major rehab, with Tony Baxter in charge of all the plussing "unlike WDW's" so says you know who on there.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom