BTMRR No longer shakin?

RSoxNo1

On MiceAge today from Disneyland...

EDITOR’S NOTE 8/6: Disneyland’s Big Thunder Mt. will be closing for a major rehab this fall, and remain closed through most of 2013. The 33-year-old coaster will receive a similar treatment as the one Space Mt. got in ’03-’05, (without the extensive foundation work that Space Mt. needed). New track will be installed, the load/unload area will be widened for 21st century riders, and a new ride control system tops it all off. The queue will be prepped for NextGen additions, and unlike the recent WDW Thunder rehab Tony Baxter has returned to his first E Ticket to plus up the show and the aesthetics. Take your last ride on Big Thunder 1.0 in September. - Al Lutz

vinnya1726

Nothing fell on anyone.

One of the Paris rocks fell onto the track and was run over by the train.

After this it was decided all BTMs should have static rocks, despite them working fine otherwise since 1979.

This is all because we live in a very litigious society. People sue over the littlest things and you can bet Disney's lawyers said cut back on your liability and stabilize the rocks.

Mickey_777

I think the incident is just an excuse to be cheap and not spend money to fix and or replace it with a different effect. TDO is thrilled that didnt have to be included in the recent refurb Im sure.

Interesting...just read on miceage that Disneylands BTTMR will be closed for most of 2013 for a major rehab, with Tony Baxter in charge of all the plussing "unlike WDW's" so says you know who on there.

To me there's nothing like loading into the train underground in the mountain. I really don't like loading into the train as high as you do at DL plus the fact the queue/area music you find at MK either never works when I'm there or is inexistent at DL. BTM in Anaheim always leaves me wanting more. Hopefully this refurb can change some of that.

LudwigVonDrake

Anyone notice the hanging possums are gone as well? Anyone know why they were taken down or if they will return?

Two weeks ago there was one possum hanging and he was closer to the tree trunk than over the track.

Also, there was no projection or any effect for the falling rocks. Nothing was going on when you went up that lift hill.

Timekeeper

It's particularly disappointing given that this effect was specifically contemplated as part of the ride experience. :(

btmdlp2.jpg

MerlinTheGoat

I have heard that the possums are back.
Hey I think you're right! Was looking at recent Big Thunder videos and one of the post-refurb videos show the possums are indeed hanging again, see here-

Go to time 2:33 and you'll see them. That's a confirmation there. One adult on the main tree itself (which was never removed), another adult hanging on the branch, and two baby possums on the farther end of the branch. This was one of my favorite little gags in Big Thunder so i'm very glad to see it back. So not a complete loss. They must have done some extra work post-refurb because they weren't there when the ride first reopened. Dunno if they still swing around the branch when a train passes under but it's still nice to have the figures back.

Now if we could just get the third lift to look better then we'll have gotten a really nice looking refurb. Again, i'd take a digitally mapped projection on the side walls over nothing at all (what we have currently).

JusDu

Paris wasn't the only rock to fall. While nobody got hurt the first BTMRR to have a rock fall was Orlando. Paris was the second. Orlando happened on Easter day or thereabouts in 2009? 2010? Time is passing to fast for me but I was working the ride at that time. It happened after I left for the day thjough. Funny story about the tower operator at the time...

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Paris wasn't the only rock to fall. While nobody got hurt the first BTMRR to have a rock fall was Orlando. Paris was the second. Orlando happened on Easter day or thereabouts in 2009? 2010? Time is passing to fast for me but I was working the ride at that time. It happened after I left for the day thjough. Funny story about the tower operator at the time...
Thank you. I thought that was the case but couldn't recall.

FLDIS86

Hey I think you're right! Was looking at recent Big Thunder videos and one of the post-refurb videos show the possums are indeed hanging again, see here-

Go to time 2:33 and you'll see them. That's a confirmation there. One adult on the main tree itself (which was never removed), another adult hanging on the branch, and two baby possums on the farther end of the branch. This was one of my favorite little gags in Big Thunder so i'm very glad to see it back. So not a complete loss. They must have done some extra work post-refurb because they weren't there when the ride first reopened. Dunno if they still swing around the branch when a train passes under but it's still nice to have the figures back.

Now if we could just get the third lift to look better then we'll have gotten a really nice looking refurb. Again, i'd take a digitally mapped projection on the side walls over nothing at all (what we have currently).

Oh that's great! I was just there during Xmas and they weren't there so I am happy to see they have added them back I always look for them and was disappointed to see them go. Welcome back possum family!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom