Bring Items to Throw Away

DisneyPrincess5

Original Poster
Hi all :wave:

I was just thinking about my packing for our next trip (January...I know... I like to plan for fun) and a tip came to mind that I thought I'd share!

For as many trips as I can remember, I have made it a point to pack items that can be thrown away during the trip or upon repacking to go home, therefore lightening the load and leaving more suitcase room, even if it is by a small amount.

For example, last trip after I used them I tossed travel sized toiletries, a toothbrush and contact case that I had been using for a few months, a bum razor, an old hair brush, an old sweatshirt or two (that probably should have been thrown away earlier!), etc.

Just thought I'd share!

Lucky

Great idea. I've done that before.

On beach trips I bring old running shoes to run on the beach, and then throw them away at the end of the week, when they're all wet and sandy. Once when my son was 3 or 4 he saw me throw my shoes in the trash can leaving the beach, so he threw his new shoes in too.

abug'saunt

We bring snack foods - granola bars, homemade jerky, fruit snacks - for a quick pick me up while standing in long lines, or as quick breakfast. We use the DDP, so we do have a snack alotment but we usually use it for a drink while in the parks. We also take travel size toiletries that can also be tossed when done. So by the end of the trip, our suitcases are half as full as they were when we arrived. Despite luggage fees, I'm still packing an extra bag just in case :lookaroun :lol:.

Tango

I go even further than that. I save all our old underwear 14 days worth and just throw it away as we use it. Saves room in our cases for things we buy.
:ROFLOL::ROFLOL:

Disneybird

I go even further than that. I save all our old underwear 14 days worth and just throw it away as we use it. Saves room in our cases for things we buy.
:ROFLOL::ROFLOL:

:lol: I bet the cleaning people have a field day with that.

A couple of months before we leave I start saving things we've almost used up. For example an almost empty tube of toothpaste, the last of the deodorant, shampoo, shaving cream, etc.. I take these and then toss them when we leave to come home.

I also leave most opened snacks. However, I've also come to the conclusion that I'm not going to take alot of snacks anymore. We always find something to snack on in the park or hotel and take it back to our room, so very little we take with us from home gets eaten completely.

Phonedave

I was just thinking about my packing for our next trip (January...I know... I like to plan for fun) and a tip came to mind that I thought I'd share!

For as many trips as I can remember, I have made it a point to pack items that can be thrown away during the trip or upon repacking to go home, therefore lightening the load and leaving more suitcase room, even if it is by a small amount.

For example, last trip after I used them I tossed travel sized toiletries, a toothbrush and contact case that I had been using for a few months, a bum razor, an old hair brush, an old sweatshirt or two (that probably should have been thrown away earlier!), etc.

Just thought I'd share!

Oh Pumbas, where are you when we need a pithy comment :D

-dave

GoCamels

No WDWMomof3, we do the same thing...and in a lot of cases end up leaving it/forgeting it anyway. We're actually buying a cheap TOASTER to take with us for the upcoming trip to do breakfast in the room before we head out (bagels and toaster strudle, etc.).

With regards to clothing, we are saving room on packing by utilizing the laundry (although the one at Poly is probably not as conveient as the ones at FW comfort stations), and saving having to deal with dirty laundry when we get home...it really made a difference with having to go back to work the day after we return home.

wdwmomof3

I always do laundry twice while we are there, mid week & the day before we leave, because I can get it done so fast. Three loads of clothes going at one time is amazing! :ROFLOL:

Beccone

Last year both my husband and I threw out our sneakers at the end of our stay, it had rained almost everyday we were there and we were so sick of those shoes by the end we said screw it and tossed them. Now I wouldn't do this with newer shoes but we were both ready to get a new pair anywhere. I also packed a backpack full of little toys and art things I had picked up for my kids at the Doller Store and Target, things to entertain them on the train ride down and while we were there. I just tossed all of that stuff too before we left, by the time they had gotten toys and souveneirs at the parks they had forgotten all about the backpack full of stuff and I really didn't want to bring home a bunch of little things to clutter up the house. And it gave us a whole backpack to store things they had purchased while we were there.

GenerationX

I've brought some items - clothes, snacks, and toiletries - knowing they aren't going to make the return trip. Usually, there aren't too many of these items. However, in the last few trips we've packed about 40 wire hangers. Since there is never enough room in the drawers for all of our shirts, I pack a bunch of dry cleaners wire hangers for our shirts. We leave the hangers behind, which compensates for the additional weight of the souvenirs we bring back.

kymie

We do pretty much everything already said!Smaller case inside the bigger case and a couple of packs of nappies (or should I say diapers :animwink:) fill it, then on the way back two cases to fill.

LiveyMouse22

Great suggestion! I love shopping for travel sized things and then just tossing them when we are done! I really don't know why I guess it's because they are so tiny and cute.. :lol:.

pcarathers

Am I the only one who goes out and buys all new items to take? I leave all of our old crap at home. :ROFLOL:

we do too! I always use it as an excuse to buy new clothes/shoes (although these I buy in advance and wear to work to break them in good).....toiletries..even if they are new, they still don't cost that much so IF I need to, I can toss them.........

goofykt

I love that you can buy travel-size Tide detergent at Target for $0.99...prevents me from having to chop off my arm and feed it to the quarter machine in the laundry room for a single-use detergent box. Argh.

JustInTime

Just thought I'd share!

I do the same thing! it helps!!!

wendysue

Absolutely. I bring old shirts and travel size toiletries and just throw them out to make room for the the new shirts or other items to bring home. :ROFLOL:We will be bringing our latest batch of old crap to throw out on Sept. 17th. :sohappy:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom