Rumor Brazil is the frontrunner for a new World Showcase Pavilion

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobbinsDad

Why do people keep jumping to the worst when it comes to Brazil (ie favelas and other things)? The China pavilion doesn't go into detail about the one-child policy (if it does, correct me, haven't been to Disney in 9 years), Japan's pavilion doesn't talk about the country's behavior in WWII (again, if it does, correct me, but I think I'm right about that since Meet the World didn't come to Epcot due to the way WWII was handled in that show), America's pavilion doesn't talk about the Trail of Tears (though I give the show kudos for the way it handles America's treatment towards Native Americans), etc., etc.

If Brazil comes over, it will highlight the best of the country. Idk why people are being mean spirited about it.
Exactly. Every country in WS has flawed aspects. Doesn't mean there aren't enough good things about Brazil to merit a pavilion.

jpeden

In the Parks
No
Also, keep in mind that the last Olympics to not bleed money was in fact LA 1984.

Yeah, not true in the slightest. The Atlanta Games of 1996 recorded a profit of $10 Million:

http://fortune.com/2016/08/08/rio-olympics-opening-ceremony/

Also according to this chart (I know Wikipedia isn't always the most reliable but it's what I have at the moment) the following Summer Games made profits:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cost_of_the_Olympic_Games

So no, the last one to not "bleed money" was not the 1984 Olympics. In fact, Seoul 1988 holds the record at $300,000,000 US in profits for a governmental organization hosting the Summer Olympics, $50 million more than the 1984 Games held in LA.

Prince Thomas

with absolutely no details, how can anything sound dope? lol the possibilities are great though, I will agree with you there! The original pavilion that was unbuilt with a cable car ride through a rasin forest sure looked cool, though with the cable car system going on for general transportation, I doubt they would do the brazilian one...
Sounds dope because Ive actaully been to Brazil and its such a beautiful country!!!

MrHappy

I'm still hopeful for India or Greece. I get that South America isn't represented but I get excited to think what Imagineers can do in building India or Greece, not to mention the signature food options that would be unique to WS. Brazil is naturally beautiful, and I know some will argue, but I don't think the architecture is as world famous or iconic as those in India or Greece. However, I will say that India is a long shot given it's flavor influences in many of the resort restaurants already - and the rep at AK.

Creathir

Other than sending astronauts to Mars.
Since when was solar exploration a waste of money?

Do you enjoy your satellite TV? How about your navigational system on your phone? How about the computer you are using?

ALL lend their legacy in some form or fashion to the space race to the moon and the miniaturization and technological advances it required.

THAT is what sending a human to another celestial body gets you.

It is hardly a waste.

Last edited:

Otterhead

The no ride scares me... it sounds like its a going to be a restaurant and gift shop with some education. What has made world showcase popular lately..... well besides frozen (shudders and not from the cold). Its people being able to drink all they want, either in food and wine or other events or just drinking around the world.
Nah. Many people consider Morocco to be one of the most beautiful pavilions.. and gosh, there's never been a ride there, and gosh, it's not exactly a drinking haven either. I'm not sure why people have such an issue with alcohol being offered in World Showcase, but it's not the primary driver of business there by any means. Nor is alcohol in any way something new.

ppete1975

Nah. Many people consider Morocco to be one of the most beautiful pavilions.. and gosh, there's never been a ride there, and gosh, it's not exactly a drinking haven either. I'm not sure why people have such an issue with alcohol being offered in World Showcase, but it's not the primary driver of business there by any means. Nor is alcohol in any way something new.

Its more of the festival approach by Disney in Epcot. It might just be me but it seems that they haven't done anything to Epcot in years, instead pumping festival after festival. Ive gone during food and wine and there is a good portion of the people that are there just for that (not condemning) and there are several videos of people who take the libations a bit too far. Once again not condemning. But Disney has been known to see profit and switched directions. And my fear was based on "we can build lands that are just food alcohol and a gift shop and as long as its well themed we don't have to do anything else". Id rather Epcot not become festival, food and alcohol. We are already losing edutainment id rather not lose the fun that's left.

Sir_Cliff

Well, since I don't see any representation of slums in the American, Chinese, Mexican, or any other pavilion, i doubt Brazil's pavilion would add to their number.
Whenever I read these comments I always wonder whether people think the USA is just a land of sunshine, rainbows and brightly polished colonial architecture with no drugs, violence, slums, rough neighbourhoods, or homelessness.

rushtest4echo

Yeah, not true in the slightest. The Atlanta Games of 1996 recorded a profit of $10 Million:

http://fortune.com/2016/08/08/rio-olympics-opening-ceremony/

Also according to this chart (I know Wikipedia isn't always the most reliable but it's what I have at the moment) the following Summer Games made profits:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cost_of_the_Olympic_Games

So no, the last one to not "bleed money" was not the 1984 Olympics. In fact, Seoul 1988 holds the record at $300,000,000 US in profits for a governmental organization hosting the Summer Olympics, $50 million more than the 1984 Games held in LA.

I guess you're not acquainted with cooking the books. Or how common specific practice infects everything the Olympics is a part of.

1988 Olympics: Seoul did not account for $1.5 billion in related infrastructure spending on the final report. They lost $1.1 billion when all economic factors were compared, and that's with very friendly massaging done to the books.

1992 Olympics: costs over-runs were record breaking, yet were conveniently wiped from the books to make it appear that they had turned a profit. Others claim that in the end, BCN really did see real economic gains from becoming the host city, and those gains are still paying dividends today- but so are the debts. I still don't see what financial voodoo they committed to convince the public that $10 billion in spending was offset by hosting the games. The Winter Games also lost a massive amount of money BEFORE $1.2 billion in infrastructure spending is factored.

1994 Olympics: Lillehammer "made money" yet required a billion dollar bail out.

1996 Olympics: A $10 million profit, when not accounting for $2 billion in federal spending. This was done with HEAVY book cooking.

1998 Olympics: So bad that they DESTROYED THE DOCUMENTS

2000 Olympics: Massive loss

2002 Olympics: $100 million profit, again eschewing billions infrastructure spending. Also not accounting for the (no doubt) $100 million in bribes, kickbacks and off the books contracts needed to secure the games. If it takes millions in bribes to construct an office building sometimes, imagine the bribery costs for the Olympics.

2004 Olympics: Gargantuan loss

2006 Olympics: Slight loss

2008 Olympics: They're claiming a 1% profit from the games.After all of the financial manipulation they worked into the numbers, they were able to squeeze out a profit to justify the costs to China's people. Just like China's phony rate of growth no doubt.

2010 Olympics: More cooked books, accurate estimates state that they might have been able to break even.

And of course since then it's been all downhill. I hope Japan bucks the trend.

Last edited:

ppete1975

Well that's a different FFA than the one I'm used to. I'd like to see Disney try and market that.
I want that to be the 5th gate, Adult land/ FESTIVALS,FOOD,FUN, AND ALCOHOL!!!!
wait that's Duffgardens*
*my joke references the tv show not the amusement park that we don't speak about :)

universal-studios-florida.jpg

Bocabear

Some would say that walking the streets of Morocco is, in itself, an 'attraction'. Just as walking around France and eating ice cream is an 'attraction'. I may be in the minority here, but not everyone believes that a ride is necessary every ten feet.
then why bother even buying tickets? Go to Disney Springs or your local Mall. Not demanding a ride every 10 feet, but the entire World Showcase only having two rides is a little underwhelming, especially when you know it was originally designed to have many...

ppete1975

then why bother even buying tickets? Go to Disney Springs or your local Mall. Not demanding a ride every 10 feet, but the entire World Showcase only having two rides is a little underwhelming, especially when you know it was originally designed to have many...
Youre forgetting all the amazing movies in amazing circlevision or whatever... ok honestly I remember these as a kid and being bored... have they updated them, are they at least in HD? Although Id guess most people don't even know they exist.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom