Rumor Brazil is the frontrunner for a new World Showcase Pavilion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Princess Leia

@Direwolf27 I'm confused... There isn't any chance of a new WS pavilion? @marni1971 no chance of another pavilion?
I'm not really an insider lol I know a few CMs, but they don't have in-the-know details like others here.

I just really like Disney World and try to learn as much as I can about it through books and online posts (though both can require further research).

uncle jimmy

Premium Member
I'm not really an insider lol I know a few CMs, but they don't have in-the-know details like others here.

I just really like Disney World and try to learn as much as I can about it through books and online posts (though both can require further research).
Right there with you... his post just surprised me and I know you stay up to date on a lot of similar posts. thought maybe I've been reading things wrong. cheers :)

Sam Magic

I'm shocked that LA wants 2024. I mean I'd love to go, but I'm shocked that they want to do it.
Los Angeles and Paris (the only two cities left in the bidding cycle) both have more than 90% of the venues and facilities already constructed. LA and Paris could host the games in 2020 and they would be great. They are massive cities with massive entertainment and sports infrastructure; global centers of it. Rio, despite being very entertaining just didn't have the infrastructure and did not plan out projects well, that was the Organizing Committee's fault.

The 2016 bid race was rather shady. It saw Tokyo, Chicago, Madrid, and Rio all bid. Chicago was eliminated first, then Tokyo, then Madrid. Madrid had the best games infrastructure and Chicago was second. In all the evaluations the IOC Evaluation Committee politely suggested Rio was not ready. It is argued that Brazil's strong economy at the time, successful hosting of the 2007 Pan-American Games, and use of a map showing 0 games had been held in South America ultimately convinced IOC members. According to French Authorities, and common sense if you understand International Sporting Organizations, there was also some bribery involved.

As for the topic actually at hand. I think a Brazil WS Pavilion would be fantastic. Brazil has such a rich and misunderstood culture. The point of World Showcase is to educate. Americans need to understand Brazil, hell after the Olympics we NEED to understand the real Brazil. Brazil would simply be an amazing pavilion and probably have one of the liveliest atmospheres at the park. It would breath life into World Showcase and live up to its promise of being a literal showcase of the world.

I hope they build it in the plot between France and Morocco and build a mountain complex or something...maybe it can hide the Swan and Dolphin.

Bocabear

I'd love to see a Brazil pavilion, even if it didn't have a ride. But a pavilion with a ride would be a great boost for EPCOT.
Dont even suggest you would like to see a pavilion without a ride...someone may be watching... LOL they REALLY need to beef up the attractions in the World Showcasein particular and EPCOT in general... Wh9ile any addition would be good, they seriously need to make sure there is an attraction attached.

tribbleorlfl

I want Brasilia. I want Niemeyer and Costa. Just think how well it would complement Tomorrowland, EPCOT, the TTC/monorail/Contemporary, the SSL hotels, the underlying principles of the entire Florida Project. *sigh* :inlove:

If Brazil ends up being built, WDI could go many ways with it - especially if we're talking about architecture. The country is a big mix of tons of different cultures:

View attachment 196294
View attachment 196295
View attachment 196297
View attachment 196298
View attachment 196299 View attachment 196302
View attachment 196304
View attachment 196306
View attachment 196307
Ah, some kindred spirits when it comes to the appreciation of Brasilia and Neimeyer's work! I collect a line of mid-century furniture inspired by many of the designs in Brasilia and I am utterly fascinated by the sheer audaciousness to raise up a modernist capital city out of the clay in just 4 years. I think it would make for a fascinating exhibit to contrast Brasilia with Walt's original vision for Epcot.

Sam Magic

Honestly, there are so many unique stories that could be told in a Brazil attraction that it would be a shame for them to not build one. Personally, I feel they need to add an attraction to China, Japan, and the UK. You know China would foot the bill for it...hell China would probably want the best and most unique attraction...red dragon coaster anyone?

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Ah, some kindred spirits when it comes to the appreciation of Brasilia and Neimeyer's work! I collect a line of mid-century furniture inspired by many of the designs in Brasilia and I am utterly fascinated by the sheer audaciousness to raise up a modernist capital city out of the clay in just 4 years. I think it would make for a fascinating exhibit to contrast Brasilia with Walt's original vision for Epcot.

Exactly how many Favelas do you want to see in world showcase ?

RoysCabin

I like an earlier suggestion somebody made: building pavilions of countries/regions like Brazil, Australia, etc. in EPCOT that largely focus on human cultural achievements, but also building areas for them in Animal Kingdom with a stronger focus on the environments and biomes of those places. Obviously you'd have a bit of each in both, but hey, why not an EPCOT pavilion set in an urban area of Brazil, but also a DAK area dedicated to the Amazon rainforest? The more, the merrier.

Princess Leia

Why do people keep jumping to the worst when it comes to Brazil (ie favelas and other things)? The China pavilion doesn't go into detail about the one-child policy (if it does, correct me, haven't been to Disney in 9 years), Japan's pavilion doesn't talk about the country's behavior in WWII (again, if it does, correct me, but I think I'm right about that since Meet the World didn't come to Epcot due to the way WWII was handled in that show), America's pavilion doesn't talk about the Trail of Tears (though I give the show kudos for the way it handles America's treatment towards Native Americans), etc., etc.

If Brazil comes over, it will highlight the best of the country. Idk why people are being mean spirited about it.

ppete1975

The no ride scares me... it sounds like its a going to be a restaurant and gift shop with some education. What has made world showcase popular lately..... well besides frozen (shudders and not from the cold). Its people being able to drink all they want, either in food and wine or other events or just drinking around the world. I don't want a new country that's just to cater towards the eating drinking money. Although I'm sure it sounds great to disneys shareholders.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I feel like I should add there's no hidden agenda here. @WDW1974 and I know each other. I think I can speak for both of us by saying we're not batting against each other or after brownie points. But sometimes we do receive different information. Which should be a good thing since it's not all coming from one place.

tribbleorlfl

Exactly how many Favelas do you want to see in world showcase ?
I don't know, how much of Mexico's slum, the largest in the world, is depicted on the Mexico boat ride? Why isn't there a scale model of a concentration camp in Germany? No recreations of skirmishes between the British military and the IRA in the UK pavilion?

The answer is, every single World Showcase pavilion presents a cursory, idealized and fantasy depiction of its nation and focuses on non-controversial aspects of culture like architecture, food and clothing. Negative history and modern struggles are either ignored or casually glossed over. That's why, while many people in the fan community hold up WAS as a paragon of "edutainment," I've always considered WS to be an overly-glorified shopping mall and food court.

I do not mean to make light of Brazil's poverty problem, simply that all of the rumored candidates for a new pavilion have issues that would be sanitized away. That leaves which potential pavilion has the greatest potential and presents something none of the others do. Focusing on Brazil's modernist architecture, with Bossa Nova on the breeze and even a mini Carnivale sounds far more compelling than Spain or Austrailia, in my opinion.

larandtra

Its pretty much a given a new country is coming to Epcot. The timetable, with or without an attraction when it opens, and which country are the only things in question. Id go out on a limb and say 2020, without an attraction initially but one to follow within a year, and one of the obvious two Brazil or Spain.

grimb168

I can't believe the amount of people complaining about Brazil. You need to get an open mind and try to do something positive. I would love Brazil or any other country coming to Epcot. Do you think China should have smog in the pavilion, mexico a wall and selling drugs, America could shoot 2000 people a year in celebration of Chicago. There is good and bad in every part of the world, so lets look at the good and try to help the bad.

Bocabear

Im here for Brazil. Im here for ANY new pavilion. Brazil sounds pretty dope tho
with absolutely no details, how can anything sound dope? lol the possibilities are great though, I will agree with you there! The original pavilion that was unbuilt with a cable car ride through a rasin forest sure looked cool, though with the cable car system going on for general transportation, I doubt they would do the brazilian one...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom