Brazil in World Showcase (Confirmed by Vinylmation?)

PixarfortheWin

Actually, both the Australian Outback and Great Barrier Reef are known for their wildlife diversity. And with Africa and Asia already being lands at AK, Australia is a great fit.......

That is true, i forgot about the Great Barrier Reef. But when thinking about it Brazil would be a great fit for AK too because of the Rain Forrests and Amazon River.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
That is true, i forgot about the Great Barrier Reef. But when thinking about it Brazil would be a great fit for AK too because of the Rain Forrests and Amazon River.
I agree with both of these actually. In a perfect world, I'd love to see a section of AK on the Amazon rain forests (maybe another water ride "down the Amazon") and one on Australia, covering both the barrier reef section, as well as the outback section. Both would make total sense in terms of a "land" in AK.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member

Australia is in the unique position of being both a continent and a country. Putting something like that in AK would allow TDO to maximize that advantage. Brazil has much to offer as well, but perhaps more towards a pavilion in the WS.

PixarfortheWin

Australia is in the unique position of being both a continent and a country. Putting something like that in AK would allow TDO to maximize that advantage. Brazil has much to offer as well, but perhaps more towards a pavilion in the WS.

A east European country needs representation first in my opinion, so go Poland!!!! lol jk

Mansion Butler

I think it would be a bad idea. Not that Brazil isnt a beautiful country with a rich culture but talk about isolating the menu selection in world showcase. Mexico , Spain and now Brazil...Best part about the World Showcase is you are giving an opportunity to sample the world w/o having to travel the world...
Oh man. Is this post for real? :rolleyes:

Mexico, Spain and Brazil are the same cuisine? If this is surprised, I'm going to go ahead and bet you think they all speak the same language, too.

Also, since when has Spain been a part of World Showcase?

Adendum: I'd forgotten I was reading an old topic. Point stands.

Prototype82

I think it would be a bad idea. Not that Brazil isnt a beautiful country with a rich culture but talk about isolating the menu selection in world showcase. Mexico , Spain and now Brazil...Best part about the World Showcase is you are giving an opportunity to sample the world w/o having to travel the world...
Since when has Spain been in World Showcase? And how does Brazil have anything to do with those countries? :lol:

OldAndBusted

What Epcot doesn't need in another country is a repeat of what's already there. Canada, US, UK- do you really need Australia? India, Egypt, Indonesia would all be good if they wanted to go with non-Western culture country. Russia or Brazil if they wanted to add another Western culture country. BUT wouldn't they want to fix Future World first?

I guess with all pavilions, you need to cherry pick the bits of history that you want to present to the public - including the USA. Or you at least have to try to present the bad parts in the best way possible. For the USA, we have our own checkered past with slavery and continued prejudice against minorities. Disney has tried to address those issues, at least modestly, with the exhibits and main attraction. For Russia, you'd need to ignore the communist bits where millions were sent to the Gulag or killed due to forced collective farming. Or at least try to present it in the context of doing what they thought best to create a common culture between all members of the former Soviet Union. ? Somewhere you have to present that perhaps, communism wasn't the best form of government. For China, where millions upon millions died during Mao's reign, communism is mostly ignored. That's probably for the best. For Egypt, you'd want to concentrate on ancient Egypt with it's pyramids, sphinx, and life along the Nile, and ignore everything to do with Islam. For India, you'd probably want to ignore the entire history of the Raj and the general animosity with Pakistan.

It's got to be incredibly difficult for Disney to present each country in any way that accurately reflects the history of that country. All should be romanticized in some regard. And as tourists (and probably mostly Americans), can we visit an Egyptian pavilion and not remember the images we've all seen on TV of thousands of Egyptians shouting "Death to America!"?

All in all, I'm beginning to think Brazil would present the least of these problems. It's the best choice.

Future World can never be "fixed". Or perhaps I should say the only fix for Future World is to rename it.

flavious27

12 flags on the new Vinylmations: http://www.vinylnation.net/siteimages/tradecity/tradecityevent85.jpg

The only one that is not in the World Showcase yet is Brazil. That's an odd way of leaking the news.

tradecityevent85.jpg

That is so freaky that they put them in order of their places around WS.

epcotWSC

People do realize that Brazil is Portuguese and not Spanish, right?

I mean we have three countries from North America (US, Canada, Mexico), five countries from Europe (Italy, Germany, France, UK, Norway), two countries from Asia (Japan, China), and one country from Africa (Morocco). It only makes sense to add a country from South America.

Y'all ready for some Samba at Epcot? Oh yeah.

stratman50th

I guess with all pavilions, you need to cherry pick the bits of history that you want to present to the public - including the USA. Or you at least have to try to present the bad parts in the best way possible. For the USA, we have our own checkered past with slavery and continued prejudice against minorities. Disney has tried to address those issues, at least modestly, with the exhibits and main attraction. For Russia, you'd need to ignore the communist bits where millions were sent to the Gulag or killed due to forced collective farming. Or at least try to present it in the context of doing what they thought best to create a common culture between all members of the former Soviet Union. ? Somewhere you have to present that perhaps, communism wasn't the best form of government. For China, where millions upon millions died during Mao's reign, communism is mostly ignored. That's probably for the best. For Egypt, you'd want to concentrate on ancient Egypt with it's pyramids, sphinx, and life along the Nile, and ignore everything to do with Islam. For India, you'd probably want to ignore the entire history of the Raj and the general animosity with Pakistan.

It's got to be incredibly difficult for Disney to present each country in any way that accurately reflects the history of that country. All should be romanticized in some regard. And as tourists (and probably mostly Americans), can we visit an Egyptian pavilion and not remember the images we've all seen on TV of thousands of Egyptians shouting "Death to America!"?

All in all, I'm beginning to think Brazil would present the least of these problems. It's the best choice.

Future World can never be "fixed". Or perhaps I should say the only fix for Future World is to rename it.
Can't forget Spain and their Inquisition. That was a real bright spot in European history too!

imagineer boy

Pretty much all of the countries in WS have had their own dark histories (and in some cases present) like all countries do. The goal of the WS pavillions is to present each countries' rich culture and positive qualities and ignore the political aspects be it past or present.

flavious27

I mean we have three countries from North America (US, Canada, Mexico), five countries from Europe (Italy, Germany, France, UK, Norway), two countries from Asia (Japan, China), and one country from Africa (Morocco). It only makes sense to add a country from South America.

Y'all ready for some Samba at Epcot? Oh yeah.

And you can't forget that coke sponsors a pavilion for Antarctica

hosewater

Number of visitors = reason for pavilion???

While I can't deny the overwhelming presence of visitors from Brazil and other Latin countries at certain times of the year, why would this warrant a pavilion at Epcot? Wouldn't Disney be better off representing a country that does not have a large amount of visitors to better "Showcase" the "World"?

Obviously, this won't make any difference, as there are tons of guests from the UK lining up for fish and chips and back when McDonald's had a presence in the parks it was also full of US tourists eating McNuggets and McFlurries. But still, they should try and broaden guests horizons and show a part of the world that either a) they aren't all from and b) has something of value to add to the WDW experience.

Mansion Butler

I knew someone who once yelled at a bunch of Brazilians in Spanish and then derided them as so stupid they couldn't even understand their own language.

:(

While I can't deny the overwhelming presence of visitors from Brazil and other Latin countries at certain times of the year, why would this warrant a pavilion at Epcot?
I'm sure it doesn't. Getting a whole lot of ICPs from Brazil already certainly helps, though.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom