Rumor Brazil (and maybe others) Pavilion Coming to Epcot [not about Brazilian people nor a country wish list]

agentp99

Not making a political point or generalizing about Brazilian people, but the country's leader has gotten lots of negative media attention recently. Disney is one of most sensitive companies when it comes to their image (look at how they handled James Gunn). They're probably waiting for things to calm down before announcing anything; they're already dealing with the Mulan controversy, they don't want to add to their plate, especially during their big PR event

Pinkpearl

Maybe they delayed the Brazil announcement due to the fires?
When I asked, they said that. With the fires currently going on and the eyes on them. They're holding it back.
My friend said they may announce it next year or later but ,right now, would be risky.

agentp99

When I asked, they said that. With the fires currently going on and the eyes on them. They're holding it back.
My friend said they may announce it next year or later but ,right now, would be risky.

Then again, the fires could have provided them an opportunity to fight some of the bad PR they'll get by announcing that they're going to help fight the fires (monetary donations maybe?) and some other environmental initiatives to offset the effects of the fires

Sir_Cliff

Then again, the fires could have provided them an opportunity to fight some of the bad PR they'll get by announcing that they're going to help fight the fires (monetary donations maybe?) and some other environmental initiatives to offset the effects of the fires
That would also be a minefield. Who are they going to give the money to? The current government is controversial, so sending money to it would be a PR problem for Disney. The Brazilian president argues that environmental NGOs set the fires to make him look bad, so Disney supporting them runs the risk of a conflict with the Brazilian government. Maybe best to wait, I guess.

However, if there are really funds lined up for this from outside investors, are those investors really just willing to sit back and wait years and years for this to ever get built? We all know how long Disney takes to build anything and we've been hearing this was a go since the last D23.

Editor516

I’ve spent the last 10 years or so in public relations, communications, and marketing, and I cannot figure out why some people (or a massive company) would think that announcing a pavilion should be delayed due to fires. People think Disney would ... get bad press by announcing basically a world expo pavilion during forest fires?

What am I missing here? What’s the connection? Other than the usual complaints from the usual complainers, what would the negative backlash be based on? It’s in bad taste to announce a new project that will let millions of people learn more about a country (perhaps enough to make some want to plan a visit) while that country is in the midst of a natural disaster?

HoraceHorizons

I’ve spent the last 10 years or so in public relations, communications, and marketing, and I cannot figure out why some people (or a massive company) would think that announcing a pavilion should be delayed due to fires. People think Disney would ... get bad press by announcing basically a world expo pavilion during forest fires?

What am I missing here? What’s the connection? Other than the usual complaints from the usual complainers, what would the negative backlash be based on? It’s in bad taste to announce a new project that will let millions of people learn more about a country (perhaps enough to make some want to plan a visit) while that country is in the midst of a natural disaster?

Have you ever been on the internet?

Ponderer

I’ve spent the last 10 years or so in public relations, communications, and marketing, and I cannot figure out why some people (or a massive country) would think that announcing a pavilion should be delayed due to fires. People think Disney would ... get bad press by announcing basically a world expo pavilion during forest fires?

It’s not just the fires, but that the fires are threatening a very precious ecosystem, no one in Brazil seems to be doing much about it - and the leader they have has been accused of dictatorial tendencies and possibly political murders, and has been behind a surge of rapid deforestation. No one wants to be tied to that mess or partner with that government.

tirian

Maybe if Disney highlighted a culture’s specific traditions, today’s snowflake generation would shriek of “cultural appropriation”? You know, the way sad people with nothing better to do accuse IASW of being racist?

And maybe the rest of Epcot gets a pass because said generation can Drink Around the World?

As a millennial, I never wanted to admit the accusations were true until my fellow college students couldn’t handle dissenting opinions in classes. :confused:

And now I’m watching Disney appeal to my age demographic by dumbing down the theme parks and turning them into places to drink alcohol for Instagram selfies.

All this is, of course, IMHO. ;)

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Because there is only one Brazil food place where I live and I know the managers. Anywhere else here is over four hours away in new Orleans. A port city where there are a ton TON of different restaurants and places.
You in Lake Charles? Houston has 3 churrascarias...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom