Boycott

Originally posted by imagineer99
No CEO, would ever have direct involvement in the story of movies, theme park attractions, or TV Shows. Granted he may approve them, but he is not responsible for the creative aspects behind them.

This just isn't the case with Eisner. He is such a micromanager that he often has his hand directly in many of the decisions being made within the company. For instance, he was the one who provided the idea for the original costumes of the Disney Store Castmembers and he was the one who made the final decision regarding the look of the Disney Magic and Disney Wonder.

About a billion other examples exist in The Disney Touch.

imagineer99

Originally posted by ThreeCircles
This just isn't the case with Eisner. He is such a micromanager that he often has his hand directly in many of the decisions being made within the company. For instance, he was the one who provided the idea for the original costumes of the Disney Store Castmembers and he was the one who made the final decision regarding the look of the Disney Magic and Disney Wonder.

About a billion other examples exist in The Disney Touch.

Eisner may be involved to an extent, but I doubt he's the one typing up the screenplays for movies or desinging attraction posters.

I don't think Eisner is great CEO by any means. In fact, I'm ready for some new blood in the leadership position. However, he is not solely responsible for ever poor facet of the Disney company.

Disneyland1970

No, but Eisner is still the person to blame because he is the one who hired all these non-qualified people to run the various depts.

When in charge, you are responsible for all people under you, that is why you have to hire carefully.

dizpins14

I kind of had the same idea....but my thought was to get as many people as possible to go to MK on one day during summer or Spring Break with signs telling Eisner to resign. Pretty much taking Roy's message litterally to the street.....Main Street. Gather around Walt's statue and just stay there....invite the news. Get plublicity out about Eisner ruining the Disney name by having a family corporation supporting a studio. Just my two cents.

brisem

Originally posted by Disneyland1970
I feel the reason I DISLIKE Eisner so much is because he stands for what is so wrong right now with the large corporations!

He wants CM's to work funky hours, with the public(and lets face it,love or hate your job, VERY HARD) in less than favorable work conditions, for below poverty wage... And hey make sure you SMILE to our guests! Eisner is from the same mold as the ENRON & MCI Corporate structure. Who cares about the little people as long as our bottom line is good. MCI and ENRON fortunately did not affect me, but I can feel for the people who lost there retirement because of these upper corporate people. I am not saying Eisner is stealing outright from Disney, but cringe at the thought of him getting a bonus, for what??

I would have respect for him saying," Hey we did not live up to expetations this year, so I will not accept the bonus." I don't think he would bounce a check. Does anyone deserve to make his salary? While his employees are barely getting by. If free passes to the park weren't a perk, most CM's could not afford to go to the parks! I feel that most people used to take a job for Disney because it was Disney! The Magic was there! They weren't ever going to get rich but there was a future to move up for those who wanted to do so. Now under his leadership, it's just another job.

How about the family who lost a loved one on Big Thunder because of his cost cutting of maintenance. Please don't say that is below a CEO's job description. We all know he is one of the biggest Micro- Managers there is. He has let the parks go down hill. The crowds have thinned because of nothing MAGICAL lately!
You know they are hurting when you see a T.V. commercial every hour. Why not spend that money on hiring a few maintenace people or fix the problems on the rides, or heck just buy some paint! Word of mouth built Disney and can tear it down, like it has today!

Yes, Roy is being a little vague while standing on his soap box for attention, but I feel he is still the lesser of two evils! I also feel if he does have anything to do with Eisner departing Disney, he will not be alone when he moves back in :)

But then again what do I know??

I do know what DISNEY used to be and what it stood for, it's not that anymore, and I want it back!!

First thing--it's unfair to compare Disney and Eisner to the situations at Enron and MCI--Eisner and Disney hasn't falsified Accounting Statements.
The Bonus he earned is because Disney exceed their 2003 company goals (mainly due to their movies). It also was a cash bonus, it was in stock. No money exchanged hands.
As far as the CM's getting paid--although it may not be much, nobody forced the CM's to take the job.
As far as the crowds--almost all of the entertainment areas are down. This is due to the Economy and peole are afraid to travel. Disney has always been a big advertiser on TV. They buy their commericals in bulk.

Eisner has faults, but to blame him for all the problems is wrong.

Disneyland1970

I said Eisners philosiphy is like those of MCI and ENRON... $$$$$

STOCK = $$$$$$$

POC movie did well because of Bruckheimers control not Mike
Nemo was because of PIXAR not MIKE He didn't think the movie would do well at the start!

Yes travel is down but The parks have been on a downward spiral for 10 years not 3.

And i also disagree on advertisement. Disney never had to advertise before! They had work of mouth! They would use Magical World of Disney on sundays to relay new info, but not the all out media blitz and shows of now. How many times a year can Regis and Kelly go to the different parks. And the Christmas parade and Thanksgiving parade shows are hour long infomercials!

They are pushing Magical Gatherings... Flavor of the month!

BigNorm

And the Christmas parade and Thanksgiving parade shows are hour long infomercials!

Um....what exactly was Walt Disney's Disneyland program in the 1950s? An hour long infomercial perhaps? Leonard Maltin talks about that on the Disneyland U.S.A. DVD. What about the E.P.C.O.T. Center television program starring Danny Kaye from 82? Bottom line, Disney's been advertising its parks on television for decades, we've just never realized it. That's brilliant if you think about it.

I remember first reading about the DCA project in the Disney Channel magazine that I used to get when Disney Channel was a subscription channel. Perhaps the reason we, as Disney-files, didn't get as excited about the new Anaheim park is because we never saw it on television like we had Epcot and Disneyland's Splash Mountain (remember the SM special w/ Jim Varney's Ernest character?).

Disneyland1970

Very true,

I was thinking more of 30 second blurbs, but yes this was advertisements. In defense Walt needed the publicity to get Disneyland funded. Without it we might not have this SITE to disagree about Eisner on
:)

BigNorm

In defense Walt needed the publicity to get Disneyland funded.

That's true too, he had to raise the money for Disneyland somehow, but the Disneyland television program was still a big commercial no matter how you look at it.

P.S. Thanks, I think that pic is funny as all get out. I don't think he's feeling too good now.

brisem

They may not advertise in Fl. But in the Northeast the commericals are on quite a bit.

Every Corporation is about the MONEY.

lebernadin

Nemo was because of PIXAR not MIKE He didn't think the movie would do well at the start!

:lol: But didn't you just get finished typing in your prior post that Eisner is the one to blame for hiring "non-qualified" people. If you're going to blame someone for what you perceive are their faults, why chastise them for what everyone would consider a sound business decision; Bruckheimer on POTC, and the initial partnership with Pixar. You can't have it both ways and still look objective.

Yes travel is down but The parks have been on a downward spiral for 10 years not 3.

downward spiral? I think that's a little excessive after downplaying the economics effects that have hit the travel industry. There are always going to be people who loved a product/service that hate to see it go. In this instance the big cyclical discussions seem to be focused on Horizons and other attractions as examples but every product/brand has a lifecycle before it has to be scrapped or re-invented.

[QUOTEAnd i also disagree on advertisement. Disney never had to advertise before! They had work of mouth! They would use Magical World of Disney on sundays to relay new info, but not the all out media blitz and shows of now. How many times a year can Regis and Kelly go to the different parks. And the Christmas parade and Thanksgiving parade shows are hour long infomercials![/QUOTE]

Where have you been? They've been advertising WDW since the day it opened. Regis & Kelly are on ABC, its synergy, and you'd be hard pressed to find a network that isn't pushing a product created by another company that is owned by the same parent company. The Travel Channel does specials on WDW all the time, too.

Everyone has to advertise everything. It may not always be as obvious that something is done purely to drum up business, but the advertising wheels are always turning.

I guess Budweiser can stop advertising since they've been at the top of the food chain for years. Oh wait, i guess they must be going thru difficulties since they spend 10 million on all those super bowl spots last night.

imagineer99

I said Eisners philosiphy is like those of MCI and ENRON... $$$$$

STOCK = $$$$$$$

And i also disagree on advertisement. Disney never had to advertise before! They had work of mouth! They would use Magical World of Disney on sundays to relay new info, but not the all out media blitz and shows of now. How many times a year can Regis and Kelly go to the different parks. And the Christmas parade and Thanksgiving parade shows are hour long infomercials!

They are pushing Magical Gatherings... Flavor of the month!

Statements like this frusturate me...

In the previous post you claimed that Eisner is responsible for greenlighting all movies. However, you are so quick to mention that POC and Nemo were not his responsibility. Frankly, that is not true. You have to give credit where credit is do. Otherwise, what you are saying is hypociritcal.

Also, Disney has been excessively advertising since the start. Walt Disney was an innovator, a dreamer, and also a smart business man. Even after Disneyland opened, he continued to create the Wonderful World of Disney. Special events (like magical gatherings) have been going on for years, even in Eisner's golden period. If you think sponsoring celebrations is new, then you obviously never heard of the 20th anniversary of WDW, the 25th anniversary of WDW, the millenium celebration, and 100 years of magic.

Again, I'm not an eisner supporter. However, I would appreciate if people would not bash him for every miniscule thing to happen in the parks or company.

Example: "I saw a fallen napkin on mainstreet. It's obviously Eisner's fault!":lol:

Disneyland1970

You make some valid points. POTC and Nemo were done under his leadership, and credit is due!

But what else has he done lately

Pixar...BYE..BYE

Disney animation studios in Florida.....Here is your pink slip. You are AWESOME!

DLP...Send in the Shiek!! Big Drain on the Corp. What happened to Spain Mike??? Rides sound so much fun in the snow.

DCA.. DO we need to go there again. I think you can get free passes with a taco purchase at Taco Bell in So Cal. Knotts had this park 15 years ago.

Parks are dirty and in dis-repair under Eisner. If crowds are down you try harder not, half assed! Also they take out rides without replacing them (Skyway,Submarines,Canoes, Mike Finn Keel Boats, etc) How about Rocket Rodds. The week thay ran they were great... Way to go Mike! If you take stuff out lower the price. Hours are shorter. Where did all the street sweepers go?

And yes maybe thery were advertising before in other parts of the country, I was a Northern CAL native until 2 years ago We very rarely had ads . Only for special events.

I could care less about all the OUTSIDE interest of the Disney Corp...(IE: ESPN, ABC, ...etc.) If it weren't for the old Disney of my youth Eisner would not have these. He needs to start respecting the golden goose, not forcing it to lay!

And yes Budweiser does advertise... To Stay in the #1 spot. I don't feel Disney is # 1. Maybe Bud should spend some money on there parks instead of Ads. Been to a Sea World lately??Ads are a TAX write off also, so it has double duty. I guess I didn't see how much people liked comercials.

Disneyland1970

And Yes the fallen napkin is his fault ... LIke I said, they used to clean the park!

I am sorry for my opinions on ADVERTISMENT and the Disney Corp. I can see I am not versed enough to speak on this subject.

brisem

I suggest you read AP's story 1/30 on Disney-Pixar. It'll tell you this is the second time Jobs could get Disney to agree to his terms and like Roy went crying to the press. On his 3rd quarter call to investors he said it was over and then started again. It's time for Pixar 4th quarter call and guess what--the same thing is happening again. The article also states that the deal Pixar has on the table is a lose-lose for Disney.

Disneyland1970--I understand what your saying about the old Disney. Yes it brought Eiser the 'outside interest', but it it was Eisner that got Disney to that point to purchase them.

Remeber Disney I believe has associations with 3 or 4 studios, not just Pixar. And that where the bulk of their revenue was for 2003.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom