Boycott

BigNorm

Originally posted by Disneyland1970
And Yes the fallen napkin is his fault ... LIke I said, they used to clean the park!

I agree the parks upkeep don't seem to be the same as they were say even five years ago, and that's being generous.

lebernadin

Originally posted by Disneyland1970
You make some valid points. POTC and Nemo were done under his leadership, and credit is due!

But what else has he done lately

Pixar...BYE..BYE

Please readup on something before commenting on it. Pixar wanted to alter their present 50/50 contract with Disney to make it so that Pixar got 90% of the profits and Disney would get only 10% for distributing the films. Also Stevej Jobs wanted to include "The Incredibles" and "Cars" in this new deal to curb even more of Disney's profits. Would YOU do that deal?

Pixar has become "Pixar" because of their branding with Disney. Their relative benefit of this alliance has been far greater than Disney's and now Steve Jobs wanted to turn the deal into a 90/10 split.

Disney animation studios in Florida.....Here is your pink slip. You are AWESOME!

I don't like to see anyone lose their jobs whether they draw pictures or pick up trash for a living. But so is life and they were given the option to move out to the California Studios, not all were just given pink slips. When most who make minimum wage are laid off they don't tend to have the option to move elsewhere in the same company.

If crowds are down you try harder not, half assed! Also they take out rides without replacing them (Skyway,Submarines,Canoes, Mike Finn Keel Boats, etc)

If attendance numbers are down its not as a result of a napkin being first dropped by a guest and then not picked up before you've seen it. I don't know about you, but if someone unleashed an entire napkin dispenser on main street it wouldn't have any impact on whether i returned to WDW. I don't choose to go to WDW because they pick everything up off of the ground. I go because i enjoy the attractions/resorts. While i recognize there are going to be people who never return because one or two attractions they loved are no longer there or seasonal, those are clearly in the minority. Are Delta and United tickets sold down because people are disgusted with the way they're run? No, its because the amount of disposable income has dropped because of the economy and large hit the travel industry has taken since 2001.

I could care less about all the OUTSIDE interest of the Disney Corp...(IE: ESPN, ABC, ...etc.) If it weren't for the old Disney of my youth Eisner would not have these.

Well if you're going to criticize Eisner for anything you have to take into account everything he has to give his attention to.
As far as Eisner not having these if it weren't for Disney prior to his arrival you're wrong. Disney was in dire straits when he took the helm, he brought the company to the point that allowed them the financial ability to grab ABC/ESPN among other things.

And yes Budweiser does advertise... To Stay in the #1 spot. I don't feel Disney is # 1.

"#1" in what respect? Their parks certainly are the top destination in the theme park industry despite lower attendance numbers. Since the parks are all you care about from your above comments, i'd assume that would be the #1 you'd be concerned with.

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
you can still enjoy Disney and boycott them entirely.

Boycotting involves not spending money... using their services is entirely OK. I have free admission to the Disney parks, so that's 1 strike... I bring my own food so that's 2 strikes.... and I don't buy Disney merchandise/apparel, I usually only wear event specific merchandise that I can get for free.

I can honestly say I've spent a day at the parks without having spent a cent till I've left.

Woody13

Originally posted by mkt
you can still enjoy Disney and boycott them entirely.

Boycotting involves not spending money... using their services is entirely OK. I have free admission to the Disney parks, so that's 1 strike... I bring my own food so that's 2 strikes.... and I don't buy Disney merchandise/apparel, I usually only wear event specific merchandise that I can get for free.

I can honestly say I've spent a day at the parks without having spent a cent till I've left.

Me too, but not to boycott. I'm just frugal!:lol:

Pixie Duster

As much as I do not like Eisner there is nothing a boycott will do except help further deteriorated Disney as we love it. Decreasing it's profits will cause good CMs like me to lose their jobs and ensue more and more cutbacks. Boycotts, protests will not get rid of Eisner. Go to savedisney.com and tell your friends and family to go there and become part of their mailing list.

MartyMouse

You know I said to myself last night that I would not get caught up in a debate about Mr. Eisner again … however … when I popped back in here I saw so many good points that I needed to speak up again.

Someone said the Lion King was under way before Eisner – this is incorrect it was Jeffery Katzenberg who gave that movie direction and who told him to do it … um Eisner.

The pink slips for the animation dept. in Florida … well I hate to see them go, but traditional animation is on the down swing these days (I blame inflated budgets and MTV but that’s another story), to keep that department open would hurt Disney financially. Also, did you all get upset when they closed the Canadian studios and cut the French studios so much that they are nonexistent?

As far a POC goes Mike was the one who said spend whatever it takes – a bold move in today’s economy.

As far as the Pixar deal goes – who can remember all the flack Mike got when he first got in bed with Pixar, but now he takes flack for letting them go. I hope to hell Roy didn’t talk to Jobs behind closed doors – because I would hate to see Walt Disney Company vs. Roy Disney in court.

I don’t know if anyone can recall when Mike was at Paramount he was responsible for putting George Lucas and Steven Spielberg together to create Indian Jones also Mike and Jeffery saved the Start Trek franchise when they turned out Star Trek II way under budget and insisted on having a great script. Not sure why I mentioned that ... I just thought it was an interesting fact.

Do you know why Jeffery Katzenberg left Disney??? It was because when Frank Wells died Mike didn’t give him Frank’s job. I don’t know why Mike and Jeffery’s friendship had come undone at that point (Roy??) but Mike felt that Jeffery should remain in his position heading up the animation department, and he was right. When Jeffery said he would go if he didn’t get the job – I don’t know Mike didn’t find a way to keep him (quadruple by-pass) but Roy stepped right in and took over for Jeffery, how did that happen???

Everyone points to Mike and says that he is so un-Walt like – well I can think of one thing they had in common – the both didn’t like Roy but felt that they had to keep him around.

I don’t know I guess I’m rambling here.

M.E. needs some guidance and he needs better people working under him (not back stabbers like Roy) but I don’t think he needs to be canned.

imagineer boy

Originally posted by MartyMouse

Everyone points to Mike and says that he is so un-Walt like – well I can think of one thing they had in common – the both didn’t like Roy but felt that they had to keep him around.

I could be wrong here, but I don't think Walt ever hated Roy. Why would Roy keep trying to keep the Walt Disney company alive if Walt himself didn't even like him? I mean come on, Roy was his own nephew! How could he not like him?

DDuckFan130

I come in peace so don't hate me for saying this :rolleyes:

I read this very interesting book called Disney's World by Leonard Mosley and it shows a more human side of Walt Disney and among the many things it says it said he could not stand his nephew Roy. A couple of reasons were that Roy was a spoiled brat when he was young. Another one is that Walt was resentful and bitter that his brother Roy was able to produce an heir and Walt couldn't (he had a daughter with his wife aside from their adopted daughter). This book contains many interviews with many people who worked closely to Walt and although I'd love to think Walt was an immortal, perfect man it made me realize that even he was human with flaws. I highly recommend the book, unless you don't want to be disappointed with the imperfections of Mr. Disney. I myself still worship the man, perhaps even moreso now that I know he was just one of us, well not EXACTLY like us because he did many extraordinary things but you get me right? :p

MartyMouse

Originally posted by DDuckFan130
I come in peace so don't hate me for saying this :rolleyes:

I read this very interesting book called Disney's World by Leonard Mosley and it shows a more human side of Walt Disney and among the many things it says it said he could not stand his nephew Roy.

Great book - another reason Walt didn't like Roy was because Roy mocked Walt's idea for Disneyland, Walt never let the go. Now for Roy to say he wants to keep Walt's dream alive - it's just untrue he just wants to get rid of Mike, because Mike didn't like him.

Disneyland1970

Originally posted by MartyMouse
You know I said to myself last night that I would not get caught up in a debate about Mr. Eisner again … however … when I popped back in here I saw so many good points that I needed to speak up again.

As far a POC goes Mike was the one who said spend whatever it takes – a bold move in today’s economy.

As far as the Pixar deal goes – who can remember all the flack Mike got when he first got in bed with Pixar, but now he takes flack for letting them go. I hope to hell Roy didn’t talk to Jobs behind closed doors – because I would hate to see Walt Disney Company vs. Roy Disney in court.

M.E. needs some guidance and he needs better people working under him (not back stabbers like Roy) but I don’t think he needs to be canned.

I agree that everyone has a view and everyone seems to feel very strong about it.

POTC ... I find it hard to swallow Mike saying that phrase looking at his track record for thriftyness!

Pixar ...Please see jimhill.com for an interesting side to this, I will say that Jim Hill is on Roys side before you read, Some very interesting points are made. The article says a lot more than I could ever relay here. Both for Mike and Roy.

For or against Mike, I will say 20 years ago he was a great person for the job. His time has come and many articles have mentioned that Disney is not in much better shape now than when he took over. Yes he brought Disney Corp up, and it has gradually gone back down. My own personal feeling is that if the stock is low( I am a stockholder), company morale is low, key business relations are starting to fade, and theme park quality is down, something needs to be addressed. Mike does not really want to tackle these issues. His other ventures are slipping also. ABC is not that great of a network anymore, is it? DCA and DLP are not doing well on the books. Where do we draw the line and say we have had enough? I have tried to look at this from more of a MIKE side of view, and if Mike was running any other company, I'm not sure he would still be there. Yes, he has done some great things lately. I have a problem with the COULD HAVE BEENS.

Since I am a stock holder, he does work for me to a small degree. ( Very small if you saw my portfolio!) I choose to let him go for the good of the company. He is in a very hard spot career wise. If it was any other company, I would be curious to see how he would get himself out, but I feel Disney is to valuable to the future, and the past, to take this gamble on. Let Mike feed his ego elsewhere.

I am sure Mike has used a few knives in his career also! Mike had great people under him, not counting Roy or Stan, that he ignored, abused and basically pushed out the door. If he is left without a creative force, it is because he wanted to be surrounded by YES men. He does not like to be challenged or disagreed with. This trait is a proven fact throughout his career.

Maybe Roy has problems, issues, a past....whatever. I have the right to choose him and you the right to choose Mike.....Someday, hopefully soon,we will see who bet correctly!

My vote is NO! Bring on ROY!

JBSLJames

I thought Bill Clinton was jockeying for the top spot, or was that a talk show, or, wait a second, he was going to work with Speilberg and crew.

I think they should do an Apprentice type of show to see who should run the company. That would give Grizz and all an even playing field to 'strut their stuff'.

Pixie Duster

Any supporter needs a reality check. Mike did some great things for us. But that was years ago. I don't think the man is the devil, but if he really is so great than why are there soooo many people against him? What GREAT things has he done lately? I am talking the past 5 years, what has been done due to his leadership that has really been wonderful.

And we are ticked to see Pixar go because they make films the way we use to, with quality everything! They know how to make a Disney movie better than Disney does.

Tim G

Originally posted by DDuckFan130
and it shows a more human side of Walt Disney and among the many things it says it said he could not stand his nephew Roy.
A couple of reasons were that Roy was a spoiled brat when he was young.
Ahh... finally someone is seeking the truth... and found it... :D

Well he hasn't changed much... It's his way or no way... always has been...

Alas that's not the way is works... (Welcome to the world of grown ups Roy)...

Eisner has to go... but Roy wouldn't have done it better...

I never liked Roy, and I never will...
He absolutely doesn't want to be CEO... why? he's too incompetent too run the company...

He wants Total Control!!! But not the hassle of running a company... couldn't even run his own depatment properly... always nagging, and now he wants the people to believe everything he says... and as i'm looking at workers in other departments he's succeeding...

brisem

Originally posted by Pixie Duster
Any supporter needs a reality check. Mike did some great things for us. But that was years ago. I don't think the man is the devil, but if he really is so great than why are there soooo many people against him? What GREAT things has he done lately? I am talking the past 5 years, what has been done due to his leadership that has really been wonderful.

And we are ticked to see Pixar go because they make films the way we use to, with quality everything! They know how to make a Disney movie better than Disney does.

Last year--The Number 1 movie studio (even with Nemo). If he is as hands on as you all say--then you have to give him his due for this.

Pixar negotiations--According to AP on 1/30 it was a lose-lose proposition for Disney. 90-10% split for Pixar.

http://aolsvc.news.aol.com/business...203110409990001

imagineer99

Originally posted by Pixie Duster

I think you're not understanding what a lot of us trying to say. Personally, I'm not supporting Eisner. It's time for him to step down. However, everyone spends their time bashing eisner instead of searching for constructive conclusions.

Regarding the Pixar situation, signing the contract would have been detrimental to the company. Disney would have become almost non-existent in the relationship. It may not be what we all want, but it is sadly the truth.

Frankly, I don't think Roy is capable of running such a large company as Disney. People automatically like Roy because he is a "Disney." Despite this, his past record is not very favorable.

I wish that someone would come forward with viable solutions so that we could truly SAVE DISNEY!:)

lebernadin

Originally posted by Pixie Duster I don't think the man is the devil, but if he really is so great than why are there soooo many people against him? What GREAT things has he done lately? I am talking the past 5 years, what has been done due to his leadership that has really been wonderful.

Define "sooo many people." If you're referring to the people on here and Roy's self-created website(savedisney.com) for his lynching party then you have to look at the big picture. A niche website called savedisney.com is far from what mainstream Disney patrons casual or not are feeling right now. They're either oblivious or complacent. Why? Because they go to the parks occasionally and see the movies and everything looks alright on that front. If there was a clear majority in opposition to Eisner then Disney films/products/park patronage would be plummeting.

This is a microscopic view of the overall impression. If someone was to read savedisney.com being oblivious to Disney, Roy, Eisner, they'd first probably laugh because unless you read every single media outlet available you would have no idea that Eisner's position is even in question. The number of stories done on this issue are miniscule. Why? Because it isn't a story yet. There will possibly be a few stories done by dotcom news portals leading up to the vote but nothing front page. The decision, unless Eisner is ousted, which is highly doubtful, will also only receive a small blurb. Maybe the ticker on headline news.

Even the breakoff of negotiations between Disney and Pixar has gone over most people's heads and that got a decent amount of coverage in print/visual media.

There's no argument in the quality of Pixar's films since Toy Story. But if all you're going to base your opinion on is that then pick up your shovel, you haven't dug deep enough.

Checkout my earlier post with the money crunching involved in the deal.

Also check out this LA Times article which goes more in depth:

http://www.latimes.com/la-fi-pixar30jan30,1,2036939.story

If you haven't already signed up, just input your email address etc, its free, then click on go to the article or re-enter the link when you're signed in.

Pixie Duster

I do understand what is being said, I do not see how what I said did not reflect that. I know the Pixar contract was not all too reasonable, however, I feel that had Eisner been more pleasant and more professional towards Steve Jobs and such then maybe the contract would have been more balance. I do not have a solution, trust me I really do not like it when people complain without offering a solution. This problem is far too complicated for me to figure out what would work best, I do know that Eisner is no longer helping the company, he has sullied the name Disney and it is time, without a doubt, for someone new. Someone unexpected and different.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom