Boy dies after riding Rock 'n' Roller Coaster

CoffeeJedi

Sensationalist Moron Journalist said:
One month ago, another child died on the Disney ride "Mission Space" at the Epcot Center.
not only did they get the date wrong, they couldn't even get the name of the park right!

Miss Bell

If it was a heart attack, it was some kind of pre-exisiting condition, known or unknown. Healthy kids don't have heart attacks without some kind of pre-existing condition.

teebin

DisneyJester77 said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the only thing I see incorrect with CNN's report is the mistake about the death last month on M:S. They are just reporting a story that happened a few hours ago. They have presented the facts that they know and have said there there is little information available at this time. What do you guys want the media to say?? We all love Disney and it really hurts when something like this happens. But what is with all the blaming?? As far as we know, there is no one at fault. Why get all mad at CNN or the newspapers? my deepest sympathies go out to the family. Nobody deserves what they are going through at this very moment. And here we are complaining and trying to put the blame on anyone.

I just wrote to CNN.com telling them of the correction.

gcurling

sbkline said:
But the more well known a place is, the more newsworthy things will be that take place there. It just goes with the territory.

Exactly, it's neither sensationalism nor exaggeration. It's a combination of WDW 1) being one of the most visited vacation destination on planet earth, 2) being known for not being a traditionally dangerous (i.e. carnival) theme park and 3) having a run of "bad luck" lately. Hence, it's newsworthy and a lot of people will be intently interested.

If I took a sledgehammer to my car tomorrow morning, you'd never hear about it. But, if President Bush did the same thing...

Ashitaka

CTXRover said:
My sympathies to the family. I will withhold any other comment until some real facts are released...much the same way the media should learn to do before deciding to spin it into another "dangerous Disney ride" story.
Amen.

Ringo8n24

It is very sad for the family indeed. I cannot wait to find out the truth. I wonder where he was sitting? He could have been sitting in the front car and that made him more scared or something. The media is fanning the flames against Disney. If this causes Disney to change RnRC like they did M:S, I will be pretty ticked off. RnRC is one of the best rides Disney has!!!

sbkline

This is certainly a tragedy and my heart goes out to the family. I can't imagine looking forward to taking my family to WDW and having a great time, and then losing a child down there.:(

Having said that, I think people need to chill out a little. Just because CNN is reporting what happened, that doesn't mean that they are trying to diss WDW or blame them in any way. They are simply reporting the news. That's their job. A death occured there, and it is making headlines and understandably so. Sure, someone might die at a one horse amusement park in some other state and it won't make the national news. So what? If President Bush or someone in Congress is admitted to the hospital, that will make national news, too. But it won't make national news if I get into the hospital or if I die. Frankly, it's because no one outside of my community knows me or cares. The Prez is a national figure and his life is newsworthy. Same here. WDW is known worldwide and is the vacation capital of the world. It should come as no surprise that any death that takes place there will immediately make national news, whereas a death at a generic amusement park will not make headlines because it isn't well known. No conspiracy. No agenda to destroy WDW. Just basic journalism.

will_hsv

gcurling said:
Exactly, it's neither sensationalism nor exaggeration. It's a combination of WDW 1) being one of the most visited vacation destination on planet earth, 2) being known for not being a traditionally dangerous (i.e. carnival) theme park and 3) having a run of "bad luck" lately. Hence, it's newsworthy and a lot of people will be intently interested.

If I took a sledgehammer to my car tomorrow morning, you'd never hear about it. But, if President Bush did the same thing...

I think that I may disagree with the definition of newsworthy.

If there was something wrong with the ride system that is something I should know about.

If someone dies not due to a fault in the ride system or is undetermined, that is something that the family should be allowed to deal with without the spectacle of the news organizations.

chupamiubre

well first off my sympathies to the family

but now they will have to make a version that dosent give you any g's

but come on sentinel astronauts pull 8-9g;s so i mean sure there web site says that but come on

i just hope big changes dont come of this i rember back in 01 or sop another 7yr old died on RNR because there was an estop or something and it was from internal damage i forgot what the out come really was

but why inn the msn report mus they list mission space incident too like a whole paragraph but i am waiting for space to be blamed

lcsrig

My thoughts to the family.

How can there be such a discrepency in age? I have a 7 yr old and there's a difference between that and a 12 yr old. Second, wouldn't his family KNOW his age? Were they with him? I just don't understand why some media feels like they ahve to be first to get out a story but the don't take the time to get their facts straight!

Glasgow

Just awful - my sympathies to the family.

With all of these terrible occurrences, I'm wondering how many people actually pass away on theme park related rides around the world (ie. not just Disney)? I wonder how Disney compares to other parks per capita since obviously the Disney attendance is so much higher than most other parks. This is just a guess but I am fairly sure that it's a common, albeit extremely sad, occurrence at other parks as well just due to shear statistics.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom