Boy dies after riding Rock 'n' Roller Coaster

yazmin182

My sympathies to the family.

On another note, what bothers me, and others have stated this as well, is Disney doesn't have too many thrill rides. Compared to the others I have been on, for example, Cedar Point's thrill rides, Disney's don't compare. Personally I thought they were pretty tame.

I just wish they wouldn't make them sound like the biggest thrill rides out there when other theme parks that are pretty popular like Cedar Point and Universal have some more extreme thrill rides. Waaaaay more extreme.

Timmay

A very sad story indeed...:cry:

The fact is, whether you like it or not, this is a news story. It happened at a Disney park...you are silly if you think that it will not be a national story, how could it not??? And yes, if it happened at Universal it would be on national news as well, don't try to kid yourself. Complaining about what is in the news is almost idiotic...any person with half a brain or experience knows not to believe every word in any news piece.:rolleyes: Getting worked up over it makes no sense at all.

Neither does pointing fingers at this stage in the investigation...please be adult about this (even if you are obvioulsy not). All we have is very little info yet we have already seen parents and others called "idiots":fork: Grow up, okay.

How can there be such a discrepency in age? I have a 7 yr old and there's a difference between that and a 12 yr old.
Because in emergency situations, correct information is very hard to come by.

Let's all just take a moment and relax and wait to see soem more information. No reason to start calling for heads yet, or ever for that matter.

righttrack

Truly a sad story. Deepest sympathies, but, I'm really tired of the media ganging up on Disney. Disney's rides are the mildest, compared to just about every other theme park. The CMs are exceptionally trained and the ride designs are perfect. RNRC helps Disney to be competitive with the thrills and chills crowd.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
Corrus said:
Maybe some evil mind is behind this... some conspiricy...
Like gathering all people with a condition and bringing them to Disney World
and them letting them ride thrill rides... :lookaroun :lookaroun :lookaroun

Isn't that exactly what the Childrens' Wish Foundation and other charities do? :eek:

*and I'm glad they do*

miles1

sbkline said:
WDW is known worldwide and is the vacation capital of the world. It should come as no surprise that any death that takes place there will immediately make national news, whereas a death at a generic amusement park will not make headlines because it isn't well known. No conspiracy. No agenda to destroy WDW. Just basic journalism.

Well, yes, but no. I'm sure there have been deaths of other guests from heart attacks at WDW, even just from walking around in the Florida heat. But since they don't happen to children, and they don't occur on one of the premier attactions, they have no "shock" value, therefore we never hear about them from the media.

joelleharbert

OK, I have a 6-year-old son who is counting the days until he can ride RRC in Sept. He's 48", the minimum height requirement for the ride. On our last trip to Disney, I felt the cast members were very diligent in checking height requirements and such. So, I can only assume that the child met the height requirements in this situation. I don't think you can blame Disney or the boy's parents if he met the height requirement and no one knew of any pre-existing conditions. It may have just been a very unfortunate accident. It won't stop me (and go ahead and call me an idiot) from allowing my son to ride RRC in Sept. He's already ridden several rides at Cedar Point in Ohio and those are 10x worse than anything at Disney (RRC, included).

MicBat

I'm not sure if this has been said yet... I dont feel like sifting through 8 pages of BS...

My heart goes out to all the cast members who are having to deal with this. WDW guests can be brutal and they will say pretty much anything that's on their mind. Everything from "Disney rides do nothing but kill innocent children!" to "This ride isn't going to kill me, is it?" All of this after having to deal with the family of the victim and whatnot.

degunter

The report said there had been 7 deaths since Christmas 2004, I can only
think of the 2 Mission Space ones, what were the other 4.

Were there even more than that?

I mean people die on property ALL the time, but Disney only reports the deaths that **may** be associated with a ride, right? I mean I know there are car accidents and heart attacks all the time.... even the occassional Suicide.... but you rarely hear about those in the National Media.... I only hear about them online or in local stories here in Tampa...

It is sad though no matter what the cause was. As long as the ride was operating properly, then Disney can not do anything more.

TowerOfTerror

Statement from Walt Disney World Resort
Posted June 29, 2006

A 12-year-old male Guest was transported by ambulance to Celebration Hospital today at approximately 11:30 after riding Rock 'N' Roller Coaster. We subsequently learned that he passed away.

We offer the family our deepest sympathies. A company representative is with them providing assistance.

We have closed the attraction pending an investigation. An initial review of the attraction shows the ride was operating normally. We have notified Orange County law enforcement. The state Bureau of Fair Rides Inspection has also been notified and will observe the inspection and review of the attraction.

Listen to 911 Call:
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/tourism/orl-bk-disney911call1,0,5444412.mp3file?coll=orl-home-headlines<!-- Start related content rail -->

LostNametag

I was in the park right at 2. If anyone in the Backlot area knew anything, they certainly didnt tell me. I didnt know anything had happened until my best friend called saying she saw it on CNN while waiting at the airport. Everything was business as usual...so I really wonder how many CMs and Guests actually heard... Anyway, I will post anything new if I hear it tomorrow at work...

Floridasunshine

wdwishes2005 said:
Today a 6 year old died because he fell out of a ferris wheel. I don't see that making national headlines. the sad thing is it wasn't a natural death of a pre-existing condition, yet it is getting no attention...
Actually, it did,,,, I heard of the 2 childrens' falls yesterday on the national news.

majortom1981

lol

I hate when the news exagerates.

I live right by great adventure and have ridden kinda ka 3 times in a row.

I have also ridden The batman side of the chiller 3 times in a row also. This ride is the same type of ride that rockin roller coaster is. A lim launched one.

I can only guess that the kid had a medical condition.

Timmay

degunter said:
I mean people die on property ALL the time, but Disney only reports the deaths that **may** be associated with a ride, right?

Not sure what you mean by "all the time"??

Disney doesn't do the "reporting" at all.

gcurling

Here is the Orange County Sheriff's Media Alert:

A 12 year old boy died following a ride on the Rock-n-Roller Coaster at MGM Studios in Orlando, Florida. Investigators have determined that the youngster got off of
the roller coaster after completing the ride with his seven year old brother and his mother and father. The youngster reportedly went limp while exiting the ride. His father
initiated CPR. MGM cast members who worked the attraction called rescue. Reedy Creek Fire Rescue responded to the scene and transported the youngster to Celebration Hospital where he was pronounced dead.
The child has been identified as Michael Russell. He and his family were reportedly vacationing in the Orlando area from Fort Campbell, Tennessee. Homicide investigators from the Orange County Sheriff’s Office responded to the incident scene to determine the cause of death. At this point there is no reason to suspect foul play in this
incident. We will endeavor to publish additional information on this web site as it becomes
available.

Pr1nce55

The reason WDW tragedies make the news is because it is the most popular vacation destination in the world! Everyone from here to China knows WDW. It makes everyone stop and turn up the volume on their TV. Considering how many people visit WDW each year in relation to the number of tragedies that occur, I think WDW is doing a fabulous job. It is unfortunate for the few that go through the tragedy. However, if the person has a pre-existing conditon, then something would have eventually happened to that person whether it be in WDW or somewhere else.

degunter

Timmay said:
Not sure what you mean by "all the time"??

Disney doesn't do the "reporting" at all.

Sure they do.... see below (taken from the WDW Statement today)

"We have notified Orange County law enforcement. The state Bureau of Fair Rides Inspection has also been notified and will observe the inspection and review of the attraction."

By "all the time", all I meant more than 5 deaths in 2-1/2 years.....

gsimpson

News reporting is a business, nothing more (anymore)

CNN et al are in the news reporting business to make money, that tends to encourage them to sensationalize anything to get the numbers up. Many of the individual reporters believe they are there to "make the world a better place", being defined of course by their morals (or lack of same) and prejudices. Many of them consider Disney to be an impediment to "free speech" because Disney controls their image and their product with vigor.

I don't suppose the fact that Disney is a competitor of them in the media conglomerate arena whereas Six Flags and Hershey are not would have nothing to do with it either.

RonAnnArbor

This same thread is running in the other amusement park forums this afternoon - and I think everyone is in agreement on the fact that there are pre-exisiting conditions in children as well as adults, and the sheer number of visitors in each WDW park increase the statistical probablity that there might be an incident there.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom