boring WDW

Hochmania

I too had someone who I brought to WDW and wanted attractions that constantly made him want to lose his lunch to have a good time. :rolleyes:

MicBat

Originally posted by hellokitty1
YEAH I have a friend who kids now get this
we are talking 11 and 8 yr olds that said
"oh mom we dont want to go to disneyworld, it is for
little kids. And we hate all that walking. dont make us go!!"
:hammer:
oh my i would die if my kids said that
we love disney

:eek:

MrPromey

Originally posted by Michael72688
amusement parks are better...

Them there are fighting words on a Disney forum. ;)

In all seriousness, Disney must have it all wrong if amusements are in fact better. I mean, instead of spending $100 million plus on a new attraction they should just dump the whole theme concept and build four or five world class coasters with it, eh?

Maybe this kind of thinking will make it possible for Disney to begin approaching the attendance figures that places like Cedar park have been boasting about for years. :rolleyes: ;)

mickey04

It's beyond me how some people can find WDW boring or even HATE DISNEY! (I shutter at the thought.) They just don't get it the way we do.

FOR EXAMPLE-- My cousin was trying to make the argument that the Hulk at IOA was better than any WDW ride. But I said to him- it's just a rollercoaster-- that's it. He said, yeah, but it's a really good one. I granted him that, but said "While it may be good, some other themepark is bound to have one that can give you equal or greater thrills- a Six Flags perhaps. And if they don't, give it a year.

But no park will ever have another Pirates of the Caribbean or Splash Mountain or....

Well, there was no point in going on. He just didn't get it. Neither do most. It's sometimes hard to be surrounded by people who think I'm crazy for getting misty eyed when I see Cinderella Castle or at the end of Beauty and the Beast (Just watched it tonight on ABC) or everytime I see the Spelling Bee commercial for the 100 Years of Magic celebration, or at the WDW channel at the Disney resorts.

But it makes my day to come here where I'm surrounded by people who "get it." And for that brightness you put in my day, I thank you from the bottom of my heart. :)

Magic Happens.

mickey04

Originally posted by Michael72688
Maybe these people have come into the 21 century, where we like Good, Big, Extreme Rides, now I'm not saying that I hate Disney, cause I dont, I love it, but come on look at some of the other parks just in Orlando, or Tampa, and you got some good rides!!!

You should talk to my cousin (that I described in my post above) You have a lot in common.

garyhoov

Trophy Husband
I don't find it surprising at all that some people find Disney boring. Even the people on this board have different reasons for liking it.

I'm not sure if I've confessed this before, but when I first went, it was 1973 or 1974, I was 8 or 9 and I found it very boring. . .

*ducks to avoid flying objects*

Back then, it was only Magic Kingdom. I wasn't a huge fan of their animation (I'm still not, though I like it more than I used to). Their cartoons seemed "old fashioned" and for "little kids". I much preferred Godzilla movies and Bugs Bunny.

I was used to amusement park rides, and the rides and characters frankly required more imagination than I had at that age. The animatronics were just "dolls" and the characters were just "People in Suits".

Since that time, there have been many changes. Their animation experienced a "renaissance". They are now producing mainstream films. They have opened more hotels and parks to make it a much more immersive experience. The quality of animatronics, ride technologies and even character costumes has improved.

The big change for me is that when I finally returned, I had a three year old son. Seing how magical everything was through his eyes changed my perspective. It was just a wonderful place to visit as a family with a three year old.

Now that he's ten, he can enjoy it with the memories and nostalgia of seeing it since he was three, so our perspective has changed, but we still both enjoy it.

Wow! This things getting longer than one of Mr. Promey's posts, so I better shut up now (Just kidding Mr. P;) ).

Nansafan

My first visit to WDW was in 1979, I was 20. The youngest in our group of 16 was 9. No one thought it was lame or boring. Next visit was in 1984 (our honeymoon), my husband loved it as well. Next visit was with our 6 yr old son in 1993, and he loved it. Haven't missed a year since 1998 (going second time this year). To echo many others, some people get it and some don't. I'm lucky enough to have a family who gets it. Not to say I don't love a good amusement park hyper coaster as well. It's like lobster and a hot fudge sundae. Both are excellent but you don't eat them on the same plate. An amusement park is fun where Disney is magical.

Originally posted by mickey04
He just didn't get it. Neither do most.

I agree with most of your post, but not here. Take a look at this site (ignoring the purpose of the site, just look at the chart) to see the top parks in the country in order of attendance. Disney's got number 1-5! (WOW!) And the Magic Kingdom has twice the attendance of the first non-Disney park! (DOUBLE WOW!) Also, interestingly, the rest of the top 10 is all relatively well-themed parks (Disney, Universal, and SeaWorld). However, Cedar Point, for example, is NOT in the top 10. I think, judging by attendance, most people do get it.

Yes, there's a subset out there who want only thrills, but I think most people very much enjoy the Disney "magic."

It'd be interesting to ask 1000 people these two questions:
1) Have you ever gone on a vacation where the primary destination was a Disney theme park?
2) Have you ever gone on a vacation where the primary destination was any amusement park in the world other than a Disney theme park?

I bet the number answering "yes" to 1 is quite high, and the number answering "yes" to 2 is very low (and would be near zero other than for Universal). Why? Because most people realize that Disney is special.:)

mickey04

Originally posted by FourFourSeven
I agree with most of your post, but not here. Take a look at this site (ignoring the purpose of the site, just look at the chart) to see the top parks in the country in order of attendance. Disney's got number 1-5! (WOW!) And the Magic Kingdom has twice the attendance of the first non-Disney park! (DOUBLE WOW!) Also, interestingly, the rest of the top 10 is all relatively well-themed parks (Disney, Universal, and SeaWorld). However, Cedar Point, for example, is NOT in the top 10. I think, judging by attendance, most people do get it.

Yes, there's a subset out there who want only thrills, but I think most people very much enjoy the Disney "magic."

It'd be interesting to ask 1000 people these two questions:
1) Have you ever gone on a vacation where the primary destination was a Disney theme park?
2) Have you ever gone on a vacation where the primary destination was any amusement park in the world other than a Disney theme park?

I bet the number answering "yes" to 1 is quite high, and the number answering "yes" to 2 is very low (and would be near zero other than for Universal). Why? Because most people realize that Disney is special.:)

You have a valid point there. However, I wonder what percentage of the older (and by that I mean 13+) who go don't come out of it saying "Too bad they don't have more thrill rides like Universal."

I think there's definately a lot of people who "get it," which I guess is contradictory to my previous post- so consider this an official retraction.

But I still can't believe there are so many who don't understand- who go there and come out thinking it was just okay. Perhaps my vison is slightly obscured by the fact that a lot of the people I know (being 16) enjoy high thrills- and cannot enjoy the enchantment of Disney- who they say is "for kids."

wannabeBelle

Hey there Cymbal!!! Yep I know as far as internet romances. Ihave had a few of those and NONE have worked!!! Not a great track record I can tell ya!! Besides at this point I am more interested in a good Disney friend than a romance. Contrary to what Lilo believes!!
Hey 447!! Amazing point on the stats thing!! Great job!! I did know about the top 5 spots for theme park attendance, I did not however know about the MK topping the next highest non Disney park by double!! Double Wow as you said!! Very Impressive!! Belle

SirNim

Originally posted by mickey04
I think there's definately a lot of people who "get it,"[...]

Yeah, but some people just don't get it. They just don't get it:drevil:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

wannabeBelle

Well Sir, we just cant save everyone now can we?? We try of course because we want to share the love and beauty we find in Disney. However some people just WONT be saved because it is thier choice not to be!!! I am just happy that I have found so many wonderful people on this board who do "Get it" Kinda lets me know I am not all alone in the world!! Belle

mickey04

Originally posted by wannabeBelle
Well Sir, we just cant save everyone now can we?? We try of course because we want to share the love and beauty we find in Disney. However some people just WONT be saved because it is thier choice not to be!!! I am just happy that I have found so many wonderful people on this board who do "Get it" Kinda lets me know I am not all alone in the world!! Belle

Well said, Belle. :) My thoughts exactly. :animwink:

Lilo

Originally posted by wannabeBelle
Hey there Cymbal!!! Yep I know as far as internet romances. Ihave had a few of those and NONE have worked!!! Not a great track record I can tell ya!! Besides at this point I am more interested in a good Disney friend than a romance. Contrary to what Lilo believes!!
Belle

Hey, I believe in male/female friendships. Look at me and Animal:lol: Who could ever love a Mule:rolleyes:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom